Trial by Seven Face-off: Stannis vs. Robb: Who wins?

Floki of the Ironborn

In this hypothetical showdown, Stannis and Robb are going head-to-head in a trial by seven. They've both got six of their best warriors fighting for them in this battle royale.

Assuming we're going by ACOK in terms of canon, Stannis and Robb are both at their peak in terms of warriors to choose from. So this is the line-up:

Team Baratheon
Stannis Baratheon

Guyard Morrigan

Richard Horpe

Rolland Storm

Bryce Caron

Andrew Estremont

Jon Fossoway

Team Stark

Robb Stark

Greatjon Umber

Jason Mallister

Smalljon Umber

Wendel Manderly

Robin Flint
Perwyn Frey

Who wins?

Black Walder Frey could also fight on Robb's side. I would put Black Walder in and remove Manderly, who died with a mutton leg in his hand and a quarrel in his mouth :lol:

I'm not sure how good Robin Flint in, so I would replace him with the Blackfish, or even Rickard Karstark. Heck, if Robb is lucky, he could get Brienne on his side!

The rest of your lists I agree with him, but I don't remember how good Estermont is.

If Robb gets Black Walder and Brienne instead of Manderly and Flint, I think Robb wins this trial.

Robb would probably lose 1v1 vs Stannis (before shadow assassin took his life force), but overall Robb's champions are superior with Brienne and Black Walder in the mix.

Black Walder Frey could also fight on Robb's side. I would put Black Walder in and remove Manderly, who died with a mutton leg in his hand and a quarrel in his mouth :lol:

I'm not sure how good Robin Flint in, so I would replace him with the Blackfish, or even Rickard Karstark. Heck, if Robb is lucky, he could get Brienne on his side!

The rest of your lists I agree with him, but I don't remember how good Estermont is.

If Robb gets Black Walder and Brienne instead of Manderly and Flint, I think Robb wins this trial.

Robb would probably lose 1v1 vs Stannis (before shadow assassin took his life force), but overall Robb's champions are superior with Brienne and Black Walder in the mix.

Yeah, if you swapped out Wendel, Perwyn and Robin (although like you I'm not sure how good Robin is supposed to be) and put in the Blackfish, Black Walder and Karstark with Mallister, the Greatjon, Smalljon and Robb, then that's a pretty strong side. Assuming a bunch of mostly northerners would go for a Trial of the Seven. :P

I think the problem we have is that we've had a lot of experience with how badass Robb and his soldiers are. We know far less about Stannis' bunch. Given how we have two of Renly's Rainbow Guard in the mix, one of them being a marcher lord, we can assume they've got to be very skilled warriors. And then there's Rolland Storm, the man who held the rearguard at Blackwater and most likely saved Stannis from being slaughtered. And Stannis wouldn't just nickname someone the slayer for nothing. Horpe's got to have earned that nickname, as well as his second-in-command position on the march to Winterfell.

Yes, Greatjon and his son will definitely be OP elements on Robb's side, but I daresay Stannis's group still has a chance. I feel like it'd be very close either way. It partly depends on if Greatjon can be taken out during the initial joust charge or if he survives to start brawling hand-to-hand.

I don't know why people are saying its that uneven.

On Stannis' side you have Guyard Morrigen and Bryce Caron, both on Renly's Rainbow Guard. Then you have Richard Horpe, who almost made Robert's KG. Rolland Storm doesn't seem to be a slouch either, given that he was given control of Stannis' rearguard during Battle of the Blackwater. Jon Fossoway was willing to challenge Cortnay Penrose, and all we know is that he's not as good as Morrigen or Caron, which isn't an insult. Andrew Estermont.... we know nothing about, and probably shouldn't be on this.

Robb's side isn't as good as is being said in this thread either. GreatJon and SmallJon are the real threats here. Mallister is good and proven as well. Wendel Manderly is very fat, which will really work against him. Robin Flint we know nothing about, other than he was chosen for Robb's guard. Same with Perwyn Frey.

Ultimately, I'd say it's pretty even. Stannis' side is much younger than Robb's given GreatJon and Mallister being in their late thirties if not 40s. Wendel Manderly is likely in his early to mid thirties. Not sure about Robin Flint. But Stannis' side has some of the best soldiers Westeros has to offer in Guyard Morrigen, Bryce Caron and Richard Horpe.

I'm not saying Stannis' side would definitely win, but it's not that much of a landslide. The Greatjon's big and strong, but that's not all that counts, else Gregor Clegane would be the greatest knight in Westerosi history.

you got to put manderly because of the raiting? lol

robb has better men than him.

I kind of agree with the Bbro line up, and that they do not have a chance.

let me put brianne insted of andrew estermont, lord beric, or balon swann insted of any of the other guys and perhaps we have a chance.

because after all we are facing all the living fighters of two regions, against the knights of one, who even worst, is splited between two sides.

Archived