12 Monkeys

Martini Sigil

9 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I just can't stand certain types of plots.  If it involves a kid or child actors, I'm usually guaranteed to dislike it.

Yeah, that's one of my biggest turn offs too. Only because writers seem to think that making their teenage characters horrible, whiny little brats is the best way to create 'drama'.

With 12 Monkeys, it was the magic that ruined it for me. As well as the extended and, quite frankly, ridiculous mythos they built around everything.

9 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Oh for fuck's sake.  I knew it was coming, but I still hoped this show wouldn't go the stupid super special baby route.  

Agreed... I hoped it wasn't coming, but lost all interest at that point, turned it off.  Doubt I'll be back.  Loved season one... season 2 just kept going downhill for me until now it's below the "I've got better things to do" threshold.  YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:42 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

I thought the season was amazing, actually.  I just can't stand certain types of plots.  If it involves a kid or child actors, I'm usually guaranteed to dislike it.

Like  Arkash said, it was always logical that it would be the kid.  As I mentioned before, parenthood has driven much of the story.  The one interesting part of this is that Cole and Cassie are in the position of wanting to get rid of the kid/Witness.  Cole's mission has been to save the world - and he kept to that as we saw - while Cassie's mission has been to eliminate the Witness.  Since we've already seen that time moves around Cole and Cassie differently and that altering the timeline will have no effect on her pregnancy, there's a big question over what they'd do to prevent the kid from becoming the Witness who destroys the world. 

I am curious to see how they imagine the future.  

Yeah, but it's a time travel show, so I doubt we'll have to deal with an actual kid.

I freaking loved that episode. The season as a whole wasn't as strong as the first, but I still really liked it. Especially the cameo in the finale, that was great.  Looking forward to reaching it.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the first four episodes. I like that they've expanded the scope of the show somewhat. It also seems they must plan out several episodes (maybe a season?) at a time - unless they are incredibly good at winging it and filling in the gaps they create. The only dubious aspect is how episode 4 for example had several minutes of footage that was from prior episodes. I guess if people are viewing on a weekly basis these kinds of reminders are useful. They also cut down on production costs.

end of episode 6. Not so happy about the primaries storyline. That and someone actively trying to make time cease to exist. I'd much rather the 12 monkeys group were trying to stop the 2044 group from causing time collapsing with their meddling. The whole destroy "time" idea as currently presented just ruins any potential conflict/grey area in who's right.

Also, I get the sneaking feeling that the writers don't know who the witness is and I hate that. I'd rather it was obvious who it was than the writers creating a fluid situation where they can pick whoever they want when the time is right.

I'm also annoyed with Ramse. His turnabout so far is a bit too easy as is his acceptance by everyone. I'm with deacon and Cassie in their attitude to Ramse. I can see why they status quo'd him because his relationship with Cole is key to the show but I'd rather they'd found a better out for him than what they've given us so far. If he was willing to cause the virus to ensure his child existed he should be doing so now. Unless they are playing it as he's saving time as a whole right now and will backstab again once the witness nonsense is sorted? I'd rather they'd killed him last season and then used the altered timeline to bring him back again in the new 2044 as a Ramse that never made that choice. It'd be interesting then for Cole, Cassie and Jones mistrusted him for something he never did but has the potential to do.

Anyway I like the more "natural" sci-fi to the red teabag mysticism that's appeared.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

end of episode 6.<snip>

Keep posting your thoughts as you go along, I'm curious to see how it goes.  So far we're pretty much on the same page, although I found the primaries storyline fascinating in season 1.

Episode 7 - I enjoyed this one. Felt a bit like an SG-1 episode. Either the kid's acting is misleading me or there's something ominous about Ramse's kid and the ending pretty much moved him up to the top of the "witness" list. But who knows whether they'll follow through or just pull some other character out the hat. A kid growing up outside time would be a good candidate for wanting to destroy it though.

The primaries may make more sense if they are special because they wind up killed as a paradoxes in a effect - cause way. Can't recall if they've said that or not. The "immortal" made a good point suggesting they just kill all the primaries in a natural way instead.

8 was also good. I liked the groundhog day set up and the resolution to the issue.

I just hope they follow through on the "some things are too important not to happen" because otherwise they've written themselves into a hole regarding "destruction of time". Way I see it either time is meant to be destroyed and hence the machine must be made. Or it doesn't matter what they do - the witness will fail in destroying time so they can chill. I guess there's a third option of "witness was somehow behind them repeating the day and it had nothing to do with "time" intervening" in the groundhog day episode.

Episode 9 was a bit meh. Jessica works better in small doses for me and her wackiness (or the delivery of wackiness) can annoy me. The hyenas didn't really work for me. There were enough arc nuggets to make it bearable.

Haven't seen all of episode 10 but the "there was a hole in my respirator" has to be one of the more original excuses for an ill-advised one night stand with a co-worker. Rest of the episode was ok. Sort of interesting to see Ramse reverse to his old selfish ways. He's going to angst when he figures out the witness is his kid.

Episode 11 felt like a double episode which I guess is good in the sense they delivered a lot of plot. Ramse is pissing me off now - he's far too taciturn. The saving grace is that he's behaving like the selfish prick they've always made him out to be - really they should have shot him after last season.

Jessica's "resolution" was fairly good. I like the ambiguity of the time-travel in the sense I'm pretty sure old Jessica did go "attack on titan" but she knew she had to inspire her younger self by making it seem she had been cowardly.

Deacon was great this episode too. I loved how he sided with Cole solely for reasons of pettiness which again is in character. Looked pretty obvious that him and Jessica are going to hook up (she stroked his scar 2 minutes before he got it). I wonder if this means Jessica spends a while in the future or if Deacon goes back in time eventually?

It's funny how the 12 monkeys and the witness have had to do nothing but watch the "good guys" fight amongst themselves. I'm guessing the Witness has never made a direct attack because a) that's how it always went down and b ) he knows some of them are coming to him.

The finale was ok. I liked the frozen time bits and introducing the potential for travelling to the future.

Some parts were a bit sloppy like how Cole and Cassie used the 11 months really ineffectively and the direction of the chat with his "friend" made it really obvious that he was the messenger.

The Tall man being in the future felt a bit pointless and 2163 looks a bit crap but I might invest in hooded robe manufacturing to keep my kids wealthy just in case.

The witness as their parallel foetus seemed like a shoe-in once we knew Cassie was pregnant. However it feels like we also need some alt time-line stories now for the witness to grow up with Cole and Cassie (or at least one of them in the house). Still want some explanation on Ramse's kid as being zapped around in time should make him important or just dead.

Again, I doubt Deacon is dead or time-line shenanigans will at least restore him.

I think the season was still pretty good - it's certainly better than a lot of shows in this category and I think it benefits from the shorter season. 22 episodes of this a year and they'd tie themselves in knots. Is season 3 the final one? I noticed they only have 10 episodses but this seems to be the new thing for Syfy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

You have an answer! The answer is YES to season 4!  And the 4th will be the final season.

Except, SyFy is dumping season 3 in May on us over three days for some reason.  As if they think it sucks and want to get rid of it, but then renewed it for season 4 anyway...    I think time travel was involved in this decision.  We won't understand it until we get to the end, then loop back to rewrite the actual timeline.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

very strange they are burning through the series in the space of a weekend yet are still doing a season 4. I wonder if it's connected with their netflix deal? They can give netflix the show in binge format sooner that way. Maybe Syfy has noticed their shows do well internationally via them?

Archived