How did you feel the first time you read the Red Wedding chapter?

TrueOrFalse

The whole chapter was so ominous, I could tell something bad was going to happen at The Twins. When Grey Wolf went off on the Freys and got put in a kennel, and Catelyn's POV kept making it clear that their only protection was the immaterial tradition of 'guest right', I had a strong suspicion that Robb was going to die.

Really, Starks? Trusting in an opportunistic old sneak like Walder Frey to keep to a tradition of being nice to guests? That's no way to run a kingdom.

"The King in the North arises. It seems I've killed some of your men, your grace."

Broke my goddamn heart.

The worst part is actually a couple chapters later when we find out what happened to the bodies.. They took my favorite character and chopped his head off. Then they took my favorite creature and and chopped it's head off. Then they sowed Greywinds head onto Robb's :( I threw my book like 3 times in a matter of 2 days :(

The whole chapter was so ominous, I could tell something bad was going to happen at The Twins. When Grey Wolf went off on the Freys and got put in a kennel, and Catelyn's POV kept making it clear that their only protection was the immaterial tradition of 'guest right', I had a strong suspicion that Robb was going to die.

Really, Starks? Trusting in an opportunistic old sneak like Walder Frey to keep to a tradition of being nice to guests? That's no way to run a kingdom.

"The King in the North arises. It seems I've killed some of your men, your grace."

Broke my goddamn heart.

That's not just a "tradition of being nice to guests", it's one of the major taboos in Westeros. Breaking it means that the Freys are now despised and distrusted throughout the realm. The reason why nobody expected Walder Frey to go as far as to massacre his guests at a wedding in retaliation for nothing more serious than a broken betrothal, is because it's an insane and idiotic thing to do. It was predictable that he may want to switch sides, or had already, or to screw Robb over in some other way, but there were lots of ways to do that, that would be smarter, less damaging to the Freys, and not such an overreaction.

The worst part is actually a couple chapters later when we find out what happened to the bodies.. They took my favorite character and chopped his head off. Then they took my favorite creature and and chopped it's head off. Then they sowed Greywinds head onto Robb's :( I threw my book like 3 times in a matter of 2 days :(

If it's any consolation, it's probably not Grey Wind's head. It would probably be way too heavy, as well as too large (a normal wolf head would fit, not one the size of a small horse). The Frey was telling stories.

They may have sewn a wolf head, either one they killed recently or a trophy.

Title says it all really.

I'm interested to know how you felt the very first time you read Catelyn's last chapter.

I knew something was up early, between the weirdly loud music and the way cat was noting everything around her. I was scared to turn the page, I read it very slowly, but I didn't see THAT Coming. The way cat (GRRM) explain her emotions at the end really hit me, ... like 10 ravens claws scratching her face or something, intensely sad.

I was shocked for two reasons:

The first is the obvious, Robb and Cat are dead, along with half the population of the North.

The second is the fact that, in my edition, there is still 400+ pages left after this.

I couldn't believe that there was that much doing after the death of one of the most prominent POV characters.

I stopped reading for the day after this chapter. How could Robb Stark, the man who outmaneuvered Tywin Lannister, captured Jaime Lannister and smashed the Westerland armies be taken down at dinner by an old man and his brood of cretins. Then, over the course of several moments, i began to recall a few things namely that Roose had lied about Duskendale, the musicians that played so awfully were not actual musicians, that Walder Frey has no morals and is an opportunist and that Grey Wind became angrier the closer they came to the Twins.

Also, as a side note, it bothered me that i didn't know who the pink-cloaked man was, until i re-read the book and realized it was Roose.

Numb. Going through a mere days long incessant read of ACoK and ASoS, I threw the book down. (I pick it back up the next day or so, mind you.)

(I cheated. When I read [paraphrase] "she felt the Hound's axe take that back of her head" I flipped through the chapters to make sure that Arya was still alive. She was. *joy*)

I was delighted.

Robb got exactly what he deserved for breaking his kingly vow.

I applauded as Roose murdered him, and got drunk in celebration after Cat had her pretty little throat slit.

Felt bad for Grey Wind, though.

You really have it in for the Starks don't you? :P

As I read through the chapter there was this tension that just kept building up where you knew something wasnt right. Once I finished the chapter I stopped reading for a solid week. It took that long for me to work off the frustration, anger at the freys, bolton, Martin. It was only when re reading the chapter much later that I could completely appreciate the literary brilliance behind how the scene was developed

Archived