Video Games 2015: The Death of the MMO

Rhom

Bought Life is Strange today and now I find myself waiting for the next episode to come out, loved it!

Anyone else tried it out?

Just finished it. Call me crazy, but Arcadia Bay seems a lot more comfy than zombie-infested Georgia or...well, Westeros.

It was awesome, I took my time playing through it and at the end, I realized I had still missed a lot of stuff. That's great, I have more exploring to do the next time I'm playing it in addition to checking out the different outcomes. Another thing I saw at the end was that Episode 2 was coming in March, which kind of bummed me out. Oh well, at least I hope they can keep to the schedule.

Been replaying Black and White 2 - by far the best game Lionhead put out and one of the best god games there is. I generally try and win other cities over rather than conquer them but it is quite fun to set your creature on them and lob boulders and flaming trees at them from inside your influence

Nope, never put it on PSN, which is probably why it will never make it to PS Now.

What other games utilize the Move? Is it worth it, or is it a gimmick?

Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 utilise Move. There is a learning curve to playing FPS with Move and as it's just about my least favourite genre I haven't really gotten it totally nailed down. But most people I've come across say that once you go Move with FPS you never want to go back to a normal controller. In terms of precision and quickness I think keyboard+mouse>Move~Wiimote>controller. Infamous 2 also has Move integration if you buy the Festival of Blood expansion. I exclusively played Infamous 2 with Move it was great. I was disappointed that they didn't implement Move in InFamous Second Son. Sports Champions is a fun game that makes excellent use of Move, I particularly loved Disc Golf, but all the events are great.

Bloodborne news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDw9azV3rMU Chalice Dungeons - optional areas under the city with changing maps. Sounds like a great new aspect. The game is looking great too.You PC fans of Dark Souls might need to think seriously about getting a PS4 for this. Though I imagine From will do Dark Souls 3 at some point.

Anyone else played The Vanishing Ethan Carter? I thought the story was quite good and the atmosphere was great, but the gameplay was a bit so-so, in my opinion. I checked a guide a lot because I didn't really know what I was supposed to do at times.

Anyone else played The Vanishing Ethan Carter? I thought the story was quite good and the atmosphere was great, but the gameplay was a bit so-so, in my opinion. I checked a guide a lot because I didn't really know what I was supposed to do at times.

I absolutely loved that game; the atmosphere was indeed phenomenal and immersion was off the scale. My only real complaint was that it was too short (~3-4 hours).

As for the puzzles, I didn't find them any tougher than older adventure games like Syberia, but I did check a guide a few times. Only time I got hopelessly stuck (i.e., might have never found a solution on my own) was when

I couldn't find the underground cave opening reach the mines. The entrance was very small, obscured and off the beaten path.

Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 utilise Move. There is a learning curve to playing FPS with Move and as it's just about my least favourite genre I haven't really gotten it totally nailed down. But most people I've come across say that once you go Move with FPS you never want to go back to a normal controller. In terms of precision and quickness I think keyboard+mouse>Move~Wiimote>controller. Infamous 2 also has Move integration if you buy the Festival of Blood expansion. I exclusively played Infamous 2 with Move it was great. I was disappointed that they didn't implement Move in InFamous Second Son. Sports Champions is a fun game that makes excellent use of Move, I particularly loved Disc Golf, but all the events are great.

Bloodborne news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDw9azV3rMU Chalice Dungeons - optional areas under the city with changing maps. Sounds like a great new aspect. The game is looking great too.You PC fans of Dark Souls might need to think seriously about getting a PS4 for this. Though I imagine From will do Dark Souls 3 at some point.

Might have to try it then.

Bloodborne looks fantastic. Definitely a day 1 purchase here.

Am I alone in thinking Blizzard needs to stop milking the WoW cow, let it die, and go back to RTS?

Yes you are. It's not even remotely dead. It had 8 million subscribers before Novembers expansion now it's back to 11 million.

Am I alone in thinking Blizzard needs to stop milking the WoW cow, let it die, and go back to RTS?

Yes you are. It's not even remotely dead. It had 8 million subscribers before Novembers expansion now it's back to 11 million.

Indeed, I can't see Blizzard or Activision killing off a goose that's still laying golden eggs. Even if subscribers fall to 6 million, that's still plenty of money coming into the coffers every year.

At what level of subscriber rates would WoW cease being profitable, I wonder?

Depends. EVE Online has about 500,000 subscribers and is highly profitable for its creators, although it's easier to do that through slowly growing success. WoW falling to say 2 or 3 million subscribers over the course of a few months or years could be disastrous, as WoW's budget is also a hell of a lot higher.

If WoW gradually tails off over a period of years and Blizzard downgrades its running costs in time with it, they could go quite low and still make money on it. But I'd anticipate hearing about WoW2 (in one form or another) long before that became a serious problem.

Monty Oum of RoosterTeeth passed away today. Not really anything to do with video games, but he was the animator on Red vs Blue and creator of RWBY.

Just thought I'd share.

:crying:

I saw that he'd been hospitalized yesterday on the Roosterteeth website, but I guess I just kind of imagined he'd pull through. I never got too into RWBY, but I've followed the RT guys since 2003. I'm a bit broken up right now... :crying:

Archived