Re-read

blackbull1685

In CoK's, page 576 Jon has his clearest wolf dream. The one where he talks to Bran in the crypts, and sees the wilding host at the Milkwater. Right before Bran talks to him Jon describes that he sat on his haunches, lifted his head to the sky and his cry echoed through the forest. Is this Ghost finally finding his voice? It's such a small thing, but has made me re-think the direwolf place in general.

Grey Wind is the fastest, Summer's the smartest, Shaggy's the wildest, Lady's the prettiest, and I think Nymeria's the fiercest. What is Ghost's thing? The albino who is barely part of the pack, was shunned at birth, and always silent except this one time? The book never says it's Ghost Jon has warged into, but that just raises questions about Jon. Since his brothers and sisters (or cousins ;) ) only warg into their own wolves. Also, if Ghost never talks, what did Jon hear when he found him?

I'm not sure if this even means anything, but I would love to read some thoughts on the matter.

I just re read that the other day and I dont remember him making any noise. I will have to check that out again.

Since Ghost is my favorite I have always thought of him as the strongest and associated him with the trees. Old power and old gods kind of thing. Hence he had to head North where the old gods still had power.

I think Ghost is the avatar of the old powers (to some extent), sent to guide Jon, so he can be their champion against the others. Beyond the wall, Jon notices that Ghost looks very much like a weirwood tree in wolf form, with his red eyes and white fur.

What sealed this for me was Jon's chapter near the end of ASoS, when he's considering accepting Stannis' offer, and abandoning everything he has stood for. Ghost's return saves him from this, and makes him realise where his duty is. Ghost is there to make sure Jon survives, and is there on the wall to fight the Others when they make their assualt.

First post btw,

Grey Wind

Archived