Were you satisfied with the Castle Black battle getting a whole episode to itself?

VictariousReturneth

It was okay, I guess. I can't say I was blown away by it, but I was fairly entertained. Gotta say though, Ygritte's death did nothing for me. And out of all the "special, ninth episodes", this was the weakest one by far, in my opinion.

The fact that they only have a limited budget on the show was very apparent during this episode. The battle felt "smaller" than it should have.

How? They even had more men than they should have. 100 brothers at Castle Black...that's twice of what they originally had.

It was the second biggest mistake of the season (first being Tyrion-Tysha-Shae). They should have kept the 2 battles separate like in the book. The Craster's Keep storyline was put in to give Jon something to do mid-season, when they could have simply kept the first Wall battle in mid-season to fill that role (yeah, Bran would have not had something to do, but I figure they could have found something). It had the effect of giving us a very weak season for Ygritte, and pushed back Jon's storyline such that he wasn't able to finish his book 3 storyline like everyone else was.

I don't complain much about the show, but this is one of them for me.

Broken record ... how do they pack all of George's prose into less than 10 hours of visual drama?

They did the logical thing of combining the two battles, that's the short of it.

Actually it makes more sense than George's elaboration. But GRRM's idea wasn't really illogical. Mance figured Castle Black could be taken from the south , the gates opened and he would waltz right through. Mance just did not send a large enough force south for the attack on CB. A commander.s strategic mistake.

Actually the show make's Mance look smarter by the combined attack.

As for Ygritte I don't find her story very strong in the book after Jon leaves, and only spikes at the assault on CB. The show gave her a better story than George did!

There was a YouTube version of the episode with Jons walk to Mances' camp and the charge ending episode 9 and it clearly worked much better than that lame white out. It also made a 50 minute episode an even hour, and made an overly crowded episode 10 a few minutes shorter.

It was most likely not in Episode 9 because D&D wanted S4E10 to be their end all be all episode... bastards!

The episode itself was great.

However, in order to be able to cram the whole siege plus attack from the south into one episode instead of spreading it out over 2-3 episodes left a big gapping hole for the middle of the season. Which they filled with new stuff that didn't really help the plot and felt a bit superfluous (despite the nice action scene itself).

So well, the episode was fantastic, but the season as a whole suffered a bit for it.

The episode itself was great.

However, in order to be able to cram the whole siege plus attack from the south into one episode instead of spreading it out over 2-3 episodes left a big gapping hole for the middle of the season. Which they filled with new stuff that didn't really help the plot and felt a bit superfluous (despite the nice action scene itself).

So well, the episode was fantastic, but the season as a whole suffered a bit for it.

I don't think the season suffered for it.

I don't understand why if E9 was so short the Stannis arrival was in E10. Because Alex Graves was assigned that sequence?

Neil Marshall could , obviously , shot that.

Now there was a whole set of actors not in E9 who were in E10 and maybe they could not be scheduled to be there when Marshall was there?

Archived