Edric Dayne, What's up with this kid, any theories?

I think he was named after Ned. Come on, at least you don't chose a similar sounding name of a person you seriously dislike (i.e. the man who killed your little brother). I am sure the Edric's parents have had many inquiries about this peculiar choice of name during his childhood years, as I am sure they knew full well they would have to endure.

And I think his family has brought him up to respect the Starks. I do not think they have told him the true story about what happened at the tower of joy (He is just a kid, kids talk, and if he knew the truth, it would have made sense if he thought Arya knew too) but I think they have told him enough to make sure he has a high regard for the starks, and certainly that he does not loathe them. For example, they may have told Edric that Eddard gave Arthur a real honorable death in glorious battle and that Eddard's respect for the Daynes afterwards, and for the life of Arthur that he had just taken, was so great that they hold him in high esteem as a man of great honor, even though he was their enemy at the time. A child will not hate another person, if his parents tell him not to do so.

He is the Lord of the Daynes now, and I certainly think he will be important in the endgame. Would love to see him evolve into the sword of the morning, but I am not sure that it will happen. I certainly hope he doesn't die. It would be a shame if the Lordship of old house Dayne was transferred to the line of one of his granduncles.

How does Jon Snow come up to Edric? Did Wylla just up and tell him one day that Ned Stark's bastard once sucked on her teats?

Once upon a time I actually tried to figure that out :blushing: Now I think that it was part of the authors way of weaving false clues into the story as to whom Jon mother is/was, which in my opinion...

As the author so frequently says, "Keep reading." Which in my opinion...

Seriously though, Edric has an unknown Dayne father and a mother who could not nurse him. I am a :dunce:

I think that Edric is (nick)named for Eddard - it's no one doubts that Robb is named for Robert, after all.

As others pointed out, ned dayne refers to Ashara as his aunt - we know she's not his mom.

So why do the daynes seem to have a positive opinion of Ned? I think two possibilities. First, Ned helped Ashara in some important way, possibly connected to someone else "dishonoring" her. Second, Ned and Ashara really were lovers, and Barristans saying he dishonored her was just plain old fashioned sour grapes.

As for Arthur - yeah that sucks, but ned acts so honorably afterwards that I don't think they can really hold it against him. Also, I'm of the opinion that the adult Daynes - or at least Ashara - must know who Jon really is. We know he went there directly, and that Wylla was picked up by him at star fall - They help him with a couple possible cover stories, which are what Ned Dayne is told.

The daynes I think will be coming back in a big way - to vouch for Jons parentage. However we do not know which if any surviving daynes exist that know the secret - only that Ned Dayne does not.

I don't think you get to be SotM just by being the top male Dayne. Only a Dayne who is deemed worthy can wield Dawn, IIRC, but I don't think it's clear who makes that call.

The last we heard of Edric was that he was with a group of Brotherhood members who opted not to follow Lady SH, so his whereabouts at this point are unknown.

I saw someone saying Darkstar is probably post-5 years Edric, so when George changed his mind he had to create an another character i.e Darkstar. I think it makes sense.

So George needs to find a way to re-introduce Edric back into the game. I'm sure he has something in his pocket.

Edric is Ashara's son. Or not. Maybe he's just a kid.

I just remembered Ran mentioned once that Martin has created a family tree for the Daynes, which is not something he does for many houses. So there's probably something unusual or interesting there.

You know what I find intresting is that Edric Danye, and Edric Storm happen to both be born in 287. Storm was concieved at a wedding, Stannis' wedding, I wonder who all was there? It's also intresting that Edric Dayne was the squire of the Lightning Lord and Storm was the son of a Stormlord. Now Edric Daynes uncles are also intresting, his future Uncle Beric led the Brotherhood without Banners an outlaw band, and his Uncle Arthur defeated an outlaw band. Me thinks me smells a parallel forming. Of course both boys have not been seen in some time.

Edric Storm used to play with Shireen his cousin. Edric has an older Half Brother Gendry who he does not know about.

Edric Dayne hangs out with Arya for a bit. Jon is his Milk Brother but Jon does not know about him.

My guess is there is some mirrored parallel stuck in there but I don't feel like hashing it out. Probably some deeps seeded R+L=J clue and that has enough clues sooo, yeah not going to bother with it. Someone will probably pick it up and run with it.

Edric Dayne is someone who I think will reappear in some important capacity. The question is where. Could be:

- In the Riverlands / BWB tale, something to do with Jaime, the Blackfish, or Edmure Tully

- In Dorne, as a complication to the whole Darkstar / Myrcella etc. tale

- In Oldtown, alongside Sam Tarly and vs. the Ironborn ?

I just remembered Ran mentioned once that Martin has created a family tree for the Daynes, which is not something he does for many houses. So there's probably something unusual or interesting there.

I agree. I just don't have a clue what it could be. Considering everyone is everyone's son apparently, I went for the most obvious. :) Even though he can't possibly be Ashara's son, he's too young for that.

Anyone have a link to the family tree?

He's definitely not Ashara's son. This family has to be extremely important but they are so mysterious. Like the Hightowers.

Once upon a time I actually tried to figure that out :blushing: Now I think that it was part of the authors way of weaving false clues into the story as to whom Jon mother is/was, which in my opinion...

As the author so frequently says, "Keep reading." Which in my opinion...

Seriously though, Edric has an unknown Dayne father and a mother who could not nurse him. I am a :dunce:

Not necessarily. High-born ladies often had wetnurses for their children rather than breastfeeding.

To the thread in general: Edric wasn't born until after Ashara died/disappeared. No way he's her son.

And Edric is its own name in Westeros (unlike Robb), so it's not likely he was named for Ned Stark, whereas there's a girl in the North (I forget which family) who is named Eddara. Now THAT kid might well have been named for Ned.

• 5 months later...

Crackpot: Edric is actually a 17 year old girl masquerading as a 12 year old boy. She's the legitimate child of Ashara Dayne and Brandon Stark, and the rightful heir to Winterfell!

Certainly tinfoil. When did Brandon and Ashara get married? Also she wouldn't be the heir.  Also its nice to see a secret Stark theory, I'm tired of all the hidden Targs.

Archived