Let's talk about GRRM's original plan

The Amethyst Empress

Well we've analyzed the plublished ideas over and over,there's no harm in talking about what the story could have been

Well, as I said... Apparently people use those two pages as more accurate indicator of what will happen than 5 written books. The problem I see is that now we don't argue what story could have been. but what story will be based on that. Which, IMO, is totally nonsensical.

Well, as I said... Apparently people use those two pages as more accurate indicator of what will happen than 5 written books. The problem I see is that now we don't argue what story could have been. but what story will be based on that. Which, IMO, is totally nonsensical.

I'm assuming you're talking about a different thread,cause nothing like that is happening here

I'm assuming you're talking about a different thread,cause nothing like that is happening here

Well, you have asked about the original draft, and I am talking what is happening currently in the fandom since basically nothing is happening on this thread.

Come on, Mladen, only what the name tags have changed, not so much the overall ideas and concepts. Winterfell was destroyed, Tyrion was exiled/disgraced, Ned, Cat, and Robb did die...

I agree that the love triangle between Tyrion, Jon, and Arya is not likely to happen now, but does this mean that there won't be/can't be any love triangles between important characters?

Or that the idea of Sansa giving birth to a son with a claim to the Iron Throne is going to become an important plot point is no longer possible?

Actually, this gives us a pretty good hint that not even GRRM is sure of what the story will be. Which isn't all that surprising. Or something I mind, to be honest.

Come on, Mladen, only what the name tags have changed, not so much the overall ideas and concepts. Winterfell was destroyed, Tyrion was exiled/disgraced, Ned, Cat, and Robb did die...

I agree that the love triangle between Tyrion, Jon, and Arya is not likely to happen now, but does this mean that there won't be/can't be any love triangles between important characters?

Or that the idea of Sansa giving birth to a son with a claim to the Iron Throne is going to become an important plot point is no longer possible?

No, the names are not the only thing that have changed. The basic concept has changed so much that original idea and the published version are two worlds. Not just two worlds, two universes. A lot has changed. The dynamics, the characters etc. And when you make such differences, then you certainly can't speak that overall it is the same story.

Actually, this gives us a pretty good hint that not even GRRM is sure of what the story will be. Which isn't all that surprising. Or something I mind, to be honest.

I think that original draft, just like in many cases shows us how good it is that author changed his mind. Someone mentioned LOTR original draft, and I am certain there are plenty of those in literature. I do believe that GRRM has the story outlined for himself and that he knows what story will be. This just shows that authors make drafts and then rejects them completely. Which, truth be told, isn't some news.

Considering how much he has already changed of this plan, it's hard to imagine that anything mentioned that has yet to happen has better than a random chance of happening. The one thing that intrigued me though, of all of it, is the chance that Jaime might sit the iron throne. This would be hard to facilitate, but not impossible.

I think that original draft, just like in many cases shows us how good it is that author changed his mind. Someone mentioned LOTR original draft, and I am certain there are plenty of those in literature. I do believe that GRRM has the story outlined for himself and that he knows what story will be. This just shows that authors make drafts and then rejects them completely. Which, truth be told, isn't some news.

I agree it's pretty common. Pretty much every original draft I've seen for a long running story has very little resemblance to the final product. Ultimately, there is a reason why we got it now. We've already seen the part of the story covered by the draft unfold, although in a radically different manner. The letter reveals very little about Martin's plans for the second and third books (what we haven't seen yet), and even if he did, it would hardly be indicative of his current plan, or of how what will actually be in the final, published version.

Considering how much he has already changed of this plan, it's hard to imagine that anything mentioned that has yet to happen has better than a random chance of happening. The one thing that intrigued me though, of all of it, is the chance that Jaime might sit the iron throne. This would be hard to facilitate, but not impossible.

Tywin probably took over that role. He was the de facto winner of the War of the Five Kings.

The weirdest thing about that plan is where the fuck are the dragons? I am surprised it isn't a larger topic of conversation. It's like Dothraki = Dragons in the original plan.

It seems to me that Sansa is destined for some Jon Snow lovin' now.

I do agree that much of the original concept for Arya was passed over to Sansa. I don't think it'll get that far, though.

Archived