WHEEL OF TIME officially optioned for television

Werthead

Only because the fanbase has been fairly inactive due to the books finishing. One thing this news has done has been to wake them up and get them talking about the series again in a way nothing else has managed.

That, and you’re overestimating the portion of the fanbase that participates in online discussions.

One thing this news has done has been to wake them up and get them talking about the series again in a way nothing else has managed.

You have ten people talking about this here, plus 10-15 on Dragonmount and another 20-25 scattered here and there and that’s pretty much it.

That, and you’re overestimating the portion of the fanbase that participates in online discussions.

You have ten people talking about this here, plus 10-15 on Dragonmount and another 20-25 scattered here and there and that’s pretty much it.

And hundreds more on io9, Vox, Den of Geek and other massive sites. My own blog post on the subject generated 70,000 hits in less than two days.

It's had a pretty big impact. Whether anyone will still care outside the fanbase in two weeks is another question though.

Vox sent a lot of readers to your blog by linking to it, but most Vox readers are probably not WoT fans. Since in the past few days a lot of tech websites have spoken about this for whatever reason there has been some interest from non-fans to figure out what all the fuss is about.

But we’re talking about whether people would watch a good TV adaptation or not. WoT has millions (or tens of millions?) of fans worldwide. Even if we accept your claim that hundreds of people are talking about it online it would still not influence the hypothetical show’s viewership that much.

I doubt anyone would not watch the show. But fans of books do more than just watch the show. They can be evangelizers for shows. When GoT got on air, a lot of my friends who knew I'd read the books came to ask me if I thought it would be worth watching. I doubt I swayed anyone's decision, but even knowing someone who's read the books and has good things to say about the adaptation can have good impact on viewership, at least in the beginning.

As for WoT fans who know of this, I'm sure some of the quarter million people who checked out the Youtube video were non-fans, but that's still an impressive number for a cam version of a fifth-rate infomercial pilot.

ETA:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/fxx-pilot-airing-at-130-773110

The fan momentum behind GoT when it was first optioned in 2007/08 was immense. It made a number of influential journalists (Maureen Ryan foremost amongst them) read the books and start covering the series in a lot of detail years before it hit the air. That momentum was stoked by the producers involving GRRM and the fans, keeping everyone on-side and doing a sterling job of PR and communication. Right now Benioff and Weiss could flip the bird to the book fans and GRRM and it not dent the ratings at all, but at that point of building excitement and positive buzz (when the series still hadn't been formally greenlit by HBO), it was important. The buzz and the profile was also influential on HBO actually greenlighting the thing.

OTOH, even if WoT goes forward with RE you're going to have every article and every significant interview with them bringing up stuff like, "So, how does it feel that the dead author spent his last public utterance trashing you and your company?" or "Why did you sue the author's widow?" Not exactly a great foundation to build on.

And it keeps getting weirder.

Red Eagle's ability to operate as a legal company was suspended in August 2014, allegedly for tax issues in California. No-one's found any evidence that this status has changed recently, meaning they cannot legally sue anyone because they effectively do not exist. I guess that also means they can't have made this production and that the film rights have reverted automatically to the Jordan Estate.

I'm assuming that this actually isn't the case, otherwise the people behind Red Eagle are very daft indeed. There may be a get-out in that they are also using a subsidiary name, Manetheren, to operate under.

In addition, the actress who played Ilyena in the episode is Billy Zane's girlfriend, model Candice Neill. Either he's a huge fan of the books or he saw the potential in this going to series and decided to get on the action for the chance of an ongoing role or producer's pay-off later on.

• 5 months later...

[b][url=http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/red-eagle-de-escalates-wheel-of-time.html]Red Eagle de-escalate the situation.[/url][/b]

Red Eagle are no longer suing Robert Jordan's widow, but discussions remain "ongoing" about the ownership of the film/TV rights.

My guess is that Red Eagle either 1) deliberately launched the lawsuit so they could withdraw it later on as a pre-emptive bargaining chip, or 2) realised they were on a hiding to nothing and quit whilst they were ahead.

At the moment I'm going to guess that the Jordan Estate technically get the rights back, but the Red Eagle company retains a nominal producer's credit. If the WHEEL OF TIME TV series does end up with Sony, that would at least make sense because Red Eagle set up the deal, even if it falls to the Estate to execute it.

So hopefully a final end to this mess is in sight, because WoT is in danger of missing the boat as other fantasy properties are picked up all over the shop.

One thing that is interesting: Universal may also be back interested since they missed out big time in the recent D&D legal shenanigans. If they want a slice of the fantasy pie, this is their best bet.

Didn't Universal just lose the rights to Rothfuss' series? 

ETA: NM it was Fox, though Universal seems to be in the group of interested parties for Name of the Wind.

Thanks for the update, Wert.

On the basis that to many book fans GoT has turned into a shit sandwich after people had hopes and dreams of it being a gourmet feast, I think all WoT fans, should pray to all the gods and Shaitan than this thing never gets turned into a TV series.

The story itself has a fundamentally lower audience appeal outside of the fantasy fanbase, and even among the fantasy fanbase it's only the WoT fans who would have more than a passing interest.

What live action fantasy really works on TV? It's the stuff with blood, gore and sex, because that appeals to the "adults" in TV fandom. I can't see live action being viable for WoT. It could be turned into an animated series and be aimed at the Avatar Legend of Aang type fanbase. Mostly kids and teen, and genre fan adults, like most of us. But the budget and talent assigned to an animated production would be too low to use genuine talent to make it, so it would also be a disappointment.

I give any serious attempt at a TV adaptation a 10% chance of being an actually good TV series with decent enough viewership to make it all the way through the story. I give it about a 1% chance of being recognisable as WoT, aside from names and places, if it gets more than half way through.

On the basis that to many book fans GoT has turned into a shit sandwich after people had hopes and dreams of it being a gourmet feast, I think all WoT fans, should pray to all the gods and Shaitan than this thing never gets turned into a TV series.

Don't mistake a few vocal sour grapes on the internet with the majority of book fans.

What live action fantasy really works on TV? It's the stuff with blood, gore and sex, because that appeals to the "adults" in TV fandom. I can't see live action being viable for WoT. It could be turned into an animated series and be aimed at the Avatar Legend of Aang type fanbase. Mostly kids and teen, and genre fan adults, like most of us. But the budget and talent assigned to an animated production would be too low to use genuine talent to make it, so it would also be a disappointment.

I think you are sorely mistaken on this count. Once Upon a Time is one of the highest rated shows on TV right now. Alongside Arrow, it was the most tweeted about show at Comic Con this year.

This is not even bringing up success stories like The Princess Bride or Peter Pan in movies and other mediums. 

Archived