Android Lollipop

Alex.

Is this the correct place for this thread?

Has anyone else had problems with the latest Android software whatever thing that's been released? I've got a pretty much brand new Galaxy S5 which was working perfectly beforehand. I was thrilled with it. I pay a decent amount of money a month for it and that's ok because it was great.

But now since the update my battery life has basically halved (from just under 2 days to less than one day) and my wifi doesn't work properly. It keeps dropping out and reverting to 4g, then back to wifi. This is absolutely fucking infuriating because every time it does it (roughly once every 5 seconds) I get a box pop up which gets in the way of the keyboard saying "Connected to wifi network XXX". This is very bad for my blood pressure and i have come close to launching my phone a few times now.

Anyone else had this issue?

ETA: All apps/programmes are shut down and it has lost 4% battery in ten minutes. FFS.

I've still got the S3 (got a sweet deal 2 years ago and can't find another similar one), and the updates always make my phone worse. My battery will die after a few hours' use.

I was looking at the S5 for when this contract runs out, but if it has the same update problems I might not bother. A shame, as I like Samsung phones.

There have been all kinds of problems with the latest update.

My old Nexus 7 was updated to Android 5.0 at the beginning of November. And what used to be a lovely little tablet was rendered more or less useless. On top of the wifi issues, battery issues, and web pages and apps that would take an absolute age to load, it began to crash three or four times a day. Hard reboot would take anywhere between 15-20 minutes. Absolutely. Fucking. Infuriating.

Google support were as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. They just told me to wait for a patch. Patch 5.0.2 finally arrived in mid-January, but by that time I'd grown so frustrated, I'd bought myself a brand-new Galaxy Tab S 8.4. The new tablet is running Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) and I have no plans to update the OS.

Alex, I meant to say that you can manually roll back your operating system, but the process looks like a nightmare on toast and (at least according to Google) there is a chance you'll make things worse.

If you want to roll back, you'll have to do something like this. N.B. If you do decide to go down this route, make sure you download the correct Android image for your make/model.

I've still got the S3 (got a sweet deal 2 years ago and can't find another similar one), and the updates always make my phone worse. My battery will die after a few hours' use.

I was looking at the S5 for when this contract runs out, but if it has the same update problems I might not bother. A shame, as I like Samsung phones.

In itself it is a really good phone. It feels great, looks great and works great... until this new update. Hopefully there will be a patch soon to fix the problems.

There have been all kinds of problems with the latest update.

My old Nexus 7 was updated to Android 5.0 at the beginning of November. And what used to be a lovely little tablet was rendered more or less useless. On top of the wifi issues, battery issues, and web pages and apps that would take an absolute age to load, it began to crash three or four times a day. Hard reboot would take anywhere between 15-20 minutes. Absolutely. Fucking. Infuriating.

Google support were as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. They just told me to wait for a patch. Patch 5.0.2 finally arrived in mid-January, but by that time I'd grown so frustrated, I'd bought myself a brand-new Galaxy Tab S 8.4. The new tablet is running Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) and I have no plans to update the OS.

Thankfully I've not had it crashing on me yet. That's about it though, all the other bad things have happened. Sorry to hear about your old tablet... Understandable that you went for a new one then. Very wise keeping KitKat on for a while. Google support are, indeed, useless a lot of the time.

One thing I've read is that apparently you're mean to do a factory reset every time for a chance of optimum but absolutely fuck that.

Alex, I meant to say that you can manually roll back your operating system, but the process looks like a nightmare on toast and (at least according to Google) there is a chance you'll make things worse.

If you want to roll back, you'll have to do something like this. N.B. If you do decide to go down this route, make sure you download the correct Android image for your make/model.

haha oh my word that looks too risky for me.... Thanks for the information though!

I have been chatting on whatsapp for about ten minutes and lost 10% of battery. Can basically see my phone bleeding out in real time. This is discouraging. If it takes a full factory reset I'm going to have to bite the fucking bullet this weekend.

Strangely, on an Android device, a factory reset will not roll back the OS. All it will do is remove your apps and data. Once you've got lollipop, the only way to get back to kitkat is to perform a manual roll back by following the steps in the link I posted above.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet and hate the update to android that arrived in November. While I haven't experienced a higher rate of crashing or lowered battery life, the changes to the system have made the device significantly harder to use. For example, the calendar use to be easy and elagant to use to keep track of a complex schedule. The update made it clunky and frustrating to use. The pattern is repeated for many different functional areas of the device. They took a perfectly good system and broke it.

Strangely, on an Android device, a factory reset will not roll back the OS. All it will do is remove your apps and data. Once you've got lollipop, the only way to get back to kitkat is to perform a manual roll back by following the steps in the link I posted above.

Oh ffs. Good job I didn't immediately and impulsively do a reset today in my rage. This is horseshit.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet and hate the update to android that arrived in November. While I haven't experienced a higher rate of crashing or lowered battery life, the changes to the system have made the device significantly harder to use. For example, the calendar use to be easy and elagant to use to keep track of a complex schedule. The update made it clunky and frustrating to use. The pattern is repeated for many different functional areas of the device. They took a perfectly good system and broke it.

I hear you. The weirdest one on the new phone lollipop is that you can't put it in silent mode anymore, only vibrate. Why take that functionality away??

Archived