Will the final season by any chance be an extended one?

VictariousReturneth

The shows that have done the 'extended split season' have all had much more modest production cycles that could do that within the time sufficient to qualify as a single season. From all we've been told about GOT's production cycle, that's simply not possible for them. It would have to be in the form of an eighth season, and I think the people involved in the show are at this point inclined pretty clearly against that.

Even though Sopranos was 6 seasons didn't it air over the course of a decade? Some seasons had like 2 year gaps.

The shows that have done the 'extended split season' have all had much more modest production cycles that could do that within the time sufficient to qualify as a single season. From all we've been told about GOT's production cycle, that's simply not possible for them. It would have to be in the form of an eighth season, and I think the people involved in the show are at this point inclined pretty clearly against that.

Breaking Bad's final split season was treated like 2 different seasons pretty much. They filmed one half and then the second half started filming nearly a year later. GoT could do the same thing.

Maybe if dumb and dumber didn't waste screen time on Missandei/Grey Worm or Tyrion talking about beetles we would actually have a substantial amount of episodes.

This is true, but Season 4 was a little bit hard to organize. They didn't want to dive too far into AFFC and ADWD I guess.

There is also the issue of weather. They are used to filming from about July to December. Suddenly this gets thrown off. This will affect how the exterior shots look, and I imagine it is easier to film in certain countries during certain times of the year.

I've wondered about that - how are they going to handle winter? Filming in Croatia in January and February could actually work in their favour in that regard. They're very unlikely to get snow there, but they will get a more wintry light.

Mind you, from listening to the commentaries I've been kind of surprised at how many scenes have had the weather altered or removed. Again and again they've said "Oh yeah, this was all filmed in pouring rain, and that's why the actors are wet, but we've painted out the raindrops."

I don't think it's possible production wise to have more than 10 episodes for one season. And D&D seem content to finish it in 7 seasons, they seem tired half the time.

HBO can make money in other ways, there's Robert's Rebellion, The First Greyjoy Rebellion, Dance of Dragons, Dunk & Egg mini series etc...

@VictariousReturneth

They have re-signed all the principals to new contracts for a season 7 , but this date that must mean HBO has a commitment. It's an odd situation for HBO but then green lighting a season 6 before season 5 was unusual too, I don't know maybe HBO has done that before.

Nor do I think a movie to be very likely. First off you would have to get all the original cast. Full stop, that is going to be expensive, especially when you consider that quite a few of the high end actors in the show are likely to be the ones in the movie. Movies are expensive in general and fantasy movies in particular. Particularly when you consider that one of the reasons some people want a movie is to afford all the big special effects. Then you have to write the script in the show to match up with the movie. That means that the show doesn't even have a proper ending without the movie. That movie wouldn't be released until significantly after the last episode aired. Would the hype remain? Maybe or maybe not. Sure, the show is riding high now, but all shows start to decline after a time. Sevens seasons is a fairly long run for a show. There is also the issue of, frankly, screwing over the customers of HBO by not giving them a proper ending to the show they have been paying for for the last seven years on their television screens. Not everybody likes to go to a theater, and for some people it is just not convenient to go to one. Whereas they can easily watch the show at home on their pimped system not surrounded by people who may make them miss something. I suppose they could release it simultaneously on HBO, but how many people would go to the theater then? Really the only people who could watch the movie and really comprehend what is going on are those who already invested 70 hours into a complicated show. And you know this movie would have to be rated R, which further reduces spontaneous buys. I just don't see it, despite its popularity. Oh, and if you don't get D&D to write it, it is not happening. I think they are ready to move on after the show is done.

First thing to note is Time-Warner, HBO's parent company has the money, money is no real problem , if it looks as if a GOT movie might make a billion, world wide, as Peter Jackson's Hobbit films have.Each!

But it is complicated , probably not up to HBO if it comes to movie, but to Time-Warner.

They would have to decide this season what they are going to do.

I would be surprised if they didn't split the final season. A season 7A and 7A would be in all but the name a season 8. With the perk of seasons 7A and 7B having less than 10 episodes each. They would film and air each half a year apart just like Breaking Bad. And because technically is a single season, actors can't ask for a raise.

First thing to note is Time-Warner, HBO's parent company has the money, money is no real problem , if it looks as if a GOT movie might make a billion, world wide, as Peter Jackson's Hobbit films have.Each!

But it is complicated , probably not up to HBO if it comes to movie, but to Time-Warner.

They would have to decide this season what they are going to do.

My post was about the profit, and I don't see HBO or TW or anyone being able to make enough to profit off of a movie (that ends the series) for the reasons I gave.

I would be surprised if they didn't split the final season. A season 7A and 7A would be in all but the name a season 8. With the perk of seasons 7A and 7B having less than 10 episodes each. They would film and air each half a year apart just like Breaking Bad. And because technically is a single season, actors can't ask for a raise.

I don't think the way their production works (and how long it works) would allow a split season.

Even though Sopranos was 6 seasons didn't it air over the course of a decade? Some seasons had like 2 year gaps.

Yeah, but that's because they took a longer time between seasons, and because they had at least one major contract dispute. That's the opposite of what's being discussed here.

Breaking Bad's final split season was treated like 2 different seasons pretty much. They filmed one half and then the second half started filming nearly a year later. GoT could do the same thing.

A lot depends on production specifics, but there are industry standards for what constitutes a season, otherwise the network could just declare they were going to make one season split into seven parts.

My post was about the profit, and I don't see HBO or TW or anyone being able to make enough to profit off of a movie (that ends the series) for the reasons I gave.

One thing if they did a 100 million dollar film it would not be R rated it would be PG13. I even think there would be some kind of PG13 summary of the story to that point.

Like I said it depends on the populatity if the show busts another record this season TW is gonna start thinking about it. If it busts a record season 6 I think there is a district possibility.

At that point I think it would become a Warner Bros film , with some kind of acknowledgment of HBO.

I know this all sound convoluted , but there are a number of TV series that have been done as feature films later, tho I can't think of an instance of one that finishes a TV story.

(Deadwood had plans to finish up with two HBO movies, I got the impression that David Milch got so involved with his other projects that it would have been too complicated to reassemble the cast for even on movie. He drifted to long that I think he lost interest.)

My assessment is a big scale film would make big bucks on the international market , and I am thinking do well domestically too.

So money is no problem.

Logistics is, once again , it may be impossible to sign what core main cast may be needed if there is just a two year delay. Other complications like that would make it difficult.

(...)

I know this all sound convoluted , but there are a number of TV series that have been done as feature films later, tho I can't think of an instance of one that finishes a TV story.

(...)

Firefly comes to mind. The show got cancelled but they showed the planned ending in a movie.

And I believe this Veronica Mars show-thing did something similar. But I never watched it so I can´t say for sure.

Archived