Release of Book 5

Joffrey2016

Fellow Junkies,

I have been reading the series over and over ever since Game of Thrones came on HBO and I saw Ned Stark get his head shortened courtesy of Joffrey in Episode 9 of Season 1. I actually thought that George RR Martin had written Book 1-5 in only a couple of years or even over 1 year in the first few weeks of reading the series, you can only imagine my chagrin when I learned that these books pre-date me even having pubes, and that each book has taken longer than the last.

Well, I finished my 14th read through of the series a few months ago and I put away the books, hoping to leave them put away until Winds of Winter was released, or so I told myself anyways.

So I started wondering about the fans that were reading these books in years past and were active in these forums heard about Dance With Dragons being released and how long it took in between the announcement that Martin finished the book and when it was actually in your hands and you were reading it. How did people even find out that it was done? Was there a press release? Was it on George's Blog? Did you dream it and then it came true? I obviously am dying to have Winds of Winter come out (like every other mope on here, of course), but wondered if the longer suffering fans remembered how Dance With Dragons all went down back in 2011.

I appreciate it, and hope that this doesn't cause YET ANOTHER "I wish it would come out" bitch sessions; I just wanted to know the timeline and the manner that the last one came out so that I can speculate how this one will.

Thanks, Brothers and Sisters!

I, too started reading after seeing the first season of the show--anticipating season 2 and needing to know what happened next.

I have a bit of practice with this waiting for books things. I was a huge Harry Potter fan and started reading those when only 4 were out. But the longest time JK Rowling had between books was 2 years. That seemed FOREVER (especially as I had young kids clamoring for them) but it was certainly never 5 years, or 8 or whatever the longest in this series was.

That said, I think the middle books are hardest for a series, provided the author has an ending in mind, and it seems clear Martin does. The beginning is world building and a bunch of separate stories. The end all the plots have come together for a few focused ones. But getting them from separate to narrowed is the hard part, so I really don't expect this to be a five or six year thing like the last one, and I think Song of Spring will be even faster after the 6th because the momentum will build.

I

I'm fortunate that I only got into the books over the past 4-5 months and didn't have to wait like 4 years just to get AFFC and be like "for realz"

I'm also not an avid book reader but ASoIaF has got me hooked. And I only finished my first read around Christmas and the past month and a half has been brutal waiting for winds. I don't know how people have waited for so long. Much respect to those good people.

Hey Joffrey2016! Welcome.

The first three books were actually written over ten years as book one of a trilogy. They had to be split and then polished up. So actually the average time hasn't gotten much longer between books. Ten years initial writing plus four between releases of AGoT and ASoS = 4.67 years per book.

I obviously am dying to have Winds of Winter come out (like every other mope on here, of course), but wondered if the longer suffering fans remembered how Dance With Dragons all went down back in 2011.

ADWD wasn't on the publisher's calendar until it was. When it's ready, it's ready. And it could happen quickly, but:

As you know, I don't outline my novels. I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it. -GRRM

That being said, GRRM has already convinced us to enjoy suffering. His books have acclimated the fandom to a life of pain. So at least, there's that. Now the pain leaps off the page to tower over us as we wait for answers that never come. :smileysex:

Hey Joffrey2016! Welcome.

The first three books were actually written over ten years as book one of a trilogy. They had to be split and then polished up. So actually the average time hasn't gotten much longer between books. Ten years initial writing plus four between releases of AGoT and ASoS = 4.67 years per book.

Really? Because AGOT, ACOK, ASOS and AFFC were published in a 9-year span. That's 4 books. Since AFFC, there's been only 1 book, published... in 9 years and counting.

The Winds of Winter have been released for me about 6 times already in the last 3 weeks. The 7th iteration is supposed to come this Sunday.

Lmao I was just going to post something similar to this. I live in Boston, we got 7 feet of snow the past 3 weeks, so I'm already living the Winds of Winter, no need for the book

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1718/3596/original.jpg

Really? Because AGOT, ACOK, ASOS and AFFC were published in a 9-year span. That's 4 books. Since AFFC, there's been only 1 book, published... in 9 years and counting.

AGoT 1996

ACoK 1998

ASoS 2000

10 years to write + 4 years between 1996 and 2000 = 14 years. Divide 14 by 3 and you get 4.67

AFfC 2005. Five years after ASoS.

ADwD 2011. Six years after AFFC

TWoW maybe 2016, which would be five years after ADWD. 5+6+5 = 16. Divided by 3 that's 5.33. Not a substantial increase from 4.67. Not even a full year's difference.

Assuming a 2016 release for TWoW, the series average overall currently sits at 5 years per book. So the average has not changed much from the 4.67 of the first three.

Now do you see what I mean?

But it makes me sad he could write 2 and 3 with only like 2-3 years

and it took him like 5 / 6 years years to write book 4/5 each. And now were going onto 4th year for book 6.

It makes me sad he can write faster but he puts side projects ahead of this series. Its almost like he has lost interest in finishing the series.

AGoT 1996

ACoK 1998

ASoS 2000

10 years to write + 4 years between 1996 and 2000 = 14 years. Divide 14 by 3 and you get 4.67

AFfC 2005. Five years after ASoS.

ADwD 2011. Six years after AFFC

TWoW maybe 2016, which would be five years after ADWD. 5+6+5 = 16. Divided by 3 that's 5.33. Not a substantial increase from 4.67. Not even a full year's difference.

Assuming a 2016 release for TWoW, the series average overall currently sits at 5 years per book. So the average has not changed much from the 4.67 of the first three.

Now do you see what I mean?

I'm not questioning the average LB, only pointing out that the machine has slowed... despite the various paths supposedly merging together.

Archived