Can George finish the books before the show?

Tha Dogg Pound

After reading a couple of articles about it, what if George can't finish the books in time? If you look at the math it's impossible.

GoT: 1996 CoK: 1998 SoS: 2001 FfC: 2005 DwD: 2011

The first few books were written in relative quick succession with the first 3 books in a span of 5 years. However FEAST was written 4 years after STORM, and DANCE 6 years after that, basically George has been writing slower and slower from 2 to 3 to 4 to 6 years. Now it looks like it tWoW is going to finish mid to late 2016 or possibly later than that so we'll be ahead of the show again so that isn't the issue, the problem is that aDoS will most likely finish at the very least 2022 and that's a very generous estimate it's the last book so it's going to be longer(martin says WoW and DoS are going to be 1,800 pages each) and is wrapping everything up so a 2023 or '24, '25 release is more likely. The problem is that most likely show ends in 2017 due to what the producers are saying, in the shows 7th season (how the hell they take 2 massive books in one season makes no sense whatsoever but whatever) so for 6 years us book readers will have to avoid spoilers from a mainstream show (no internet for me for 6 years then). Martin would have to write insanely quickly to even think about coming halfway close to 2017. But do we really want George to rush such a deep, rich, and nothing short of perfect series? I highly doubt anyone would, but that looks like the reality of the situation if it does happen witch it looks like it will would you really be able to remain spoiler free from such a massive series for what's likely to be 6 years? I'm curious if there are any sources that suggest other wise?

It seems impossible because it is impossible.

No way the books will come out before the show is over. Which sucks because now the spoilers will be coming from the show.

I think I'll just have to watch the show then, that barely captures the depth, the richness, and the genius of A Song Of Ice And Fire.

I think I'll just have to watch the show then, that barely captures the depth, the richness, and the genius of A Song Of Ice And Fire.

This is true, but still... I think I'm gonna stop watching it after Season 5. I don't want to "spoil" the books, even though the show really doesn't capture the richness of ASoIaF, like you said. I watch it mainly to ease the waiting for TWoW.

Oh, no. Season five will be a spoilerfest and we'll all gonna be losing our collective shit. Like, the season hasn't even started and there are already rumors about Sansa replacing Jeyne Poole, Littlefinger going to KL, Jaime visiting Dorne, and all sorts of crazy shit

Oh, no. Season five will be a spoilerfest and we'll all gonna be losing our collective shit. Like, the season hasn't even started and there are already rumors about Sansa replacing Jeyne Poole, Littlefinger going to KL, Jaime visiting Dorne, and all sorts of crazy shit

Yes, but are they spoilers, or are they just stupid shit, like Karl Tanner or Brienne vs. The Hound?

You mean like how Pride and Prejudice and The Sex and the City movie both end in a wedding?

The road is the story.

The castle is the ending. Stories have endings as well, but alas, so many have bad endings. I am hoping that the show and books have good roads and castles for the upcoming versions of them.

Yes, but are they spoilers, or are they just stupid shit, like Karl Tanner or Brienne vs. The Hound?

WHAT are you TALKING about?! :O

Karl fooking Tanner was the greatest character in the entire series. He was the LEGEND of Gin Alley! Rh'llor rest his mother's beloved soul.

Actually, when Brienne met the Hound and saw Arya, i was instantly: :O and granted, that fight was badass. And it ended as it should have, Arya leaving Sandor and Sandor's "death" left open. It's perfect, and it furthermore makes me think he'll be returning. Otherwise it hink they would have killed him off completely, if he was just meant to be an easter egg gravedigger. D&D dont do easter eggs.

Archived