Sansa - white in a gray world

unJon

Sansa is definitely one of the good guys but the idea that she is a "white character" is absurd. She lied, dissembled if you prefer, about what happened between Joffrey and Arya, she was a total brat to Arya in Sansa's third chapter in AGOT, and, of course, she went to Cersei about the Stark family plans for leaving KL. She has done a lot of good things. She helped Jon with girls before AGOT, she saved Dontos, she prayed for everyone in her family, including Jon, and some others at the sept in ACOK, and she took charge when Cersei deserted the Queen's Ballroom. She is definitely one of the "good guys" but definitely not a "white character."

For that one must look to Brienne or perhaps Bran.

I totally forgot about those too. Yeah she is not perfect. BUT she is also a kid. She is young. She makes mistakes.

Even if Sansa is pure and white and lovely as you say, SHE'S STILL PATHETIC.

And I actually thank Littlefinger for teaching her the ways of the world.

Pathetic seems harsh. Young. Naive for sure. But Sansa grew up being told one thing when life was much different. I think she had a septa/and songs filling her head with these idealistic ways of life that don't really happen. So Pathetic seems harsh to me. I think she is slowly figuring it out.

ALSO I love that she uses the ONLY thing she knows (being courteous) as a weapon to guard herself from everyone she cant trust. Its her armor. She can't fight. She holds no power in KL or in the Vale so she makes due with what she has.

Least we forget Sansa went behind her dad's back and saw Joff that one last time and got him KILLED. I dint think she is evil or that act was evil. I think all GRRM's characters are grey. Like life we all have a little good/bad. Some have more of one than the other. Same with the ASOIAF characters. Some have more of good/bad than others do.

Why do people keep saying that? Ned doomed himself, he told Cersei he knew about the twincest days before Sansa went to her. At that point LF had already arranged for the Goldcloacks to arrest Ned and side with Cersei.

The way she treated Arya and especially Jon speaks volumes about her "goodness". Keep chugging the Sansa Kool-Aid! Oh yeah!

And no one at the age of 11 has lied to/about a sibling or been mean to a sibling, ever? Sansa did things that were wrong in AGOT, but she was not evil, just young and making mistakes. If she is still doing the same thing at 18 or 20, that's a different matter.

Sansa has shown a great capacity for survival, empathy/compassion even to those she believes she should hate, and the ability to adapt to very difficult circumstances. She has also learned a lot about self-control. At the moment (her point of view in AFFC), she is straddling some difficult lines as Littlefinger's protegee and pawn. I was disturbed by her thinking of how she and her "Father" had different concerns, regarding drugging SweetRobin, then the child's doctor, that the maester was thinking of the boy while she and "Father" had larger concerns. I don't think that Sansa consciously realizes that Littlefinger is justifying not just drugging the kid with the potentially dangerous sweetsleep just once or twice but constantly, enough to kill him; I think she believes, or wants to believe, that Littlefinger is thinking of appearances for the good of little Robert's position as Lord of the Eyrie and the Vale, his vassals, the Vale Lords, cannot see him having fits all the time, hence the drugs, especially for the stressful trip down from the Eyrie to the Vale. But Sansa is poised to cross that line of being an innocent pawn in Littlefinger's plan to poison the boy to being his knowing accomplice. Does she know, or has she guessed and cannot bring herself to consciously acknowledge such evil in the plans of Littlefinger, who is her only protector in a harsh world, a world where she has no other family or friends?

We will eventually find out, at least I hope so. Sansa does seem to genuinely care about her little cousin, and she has been kind to him when it was not expedient or convenient.

I do think that Sansa has always been a basically good person, unlike say, Joffrey; but at a time during which she should have continued to receive moral guidance and education, age 11 through 13, she has been held captive by her father's killers, humiliated, beaten, exploited, forced into a marriage she did not want and exposed to the prospect of sex (with a naked older man) when she was 12, and then made an unwilling/unwitting accomplice to regicide and is now a fugitive from the crown's justice. It's an environment, and circumstances, that would force many kids her age to develop situational ethics, suffer Stockholm syndrome, betray anyone and everyone to save their own lives, strike out in anger and fear (which Arya has done more than once). Sansa has managed to keep herself sane and try to help and not hurt anyone; and I hope that does not change.

Archived