Sansa - white in a gray world

unJon

I think she may 'stop' Littlefinger - but I think she might work with him for a good while, until he is near achieving his aim, then get rid of him. *will savour that*

yeah. :lol: But I think it will go down such that LF gets rid of himself through his own moral ambiguity. I'd be rather shocked if Sansa murdered him. I just don't see the foreshadowing.

Think of Lady...the death of Lady was Sansa's end of innocence, but not the start of grayness.

yeah. :lol: But I think it will go down such that LF gets rid of himself through his own moral ambiguity. I'd be rather shocked if Sansa murdered him. I just don't see the foreshadowing.

Think of Lady...the death of Lady was Sansa's end of innocence, but not the start of grayness.

LF=moral ambiguity, you really are delusional.

THe death of Lady was the begining of her greyness. She lied and that lie really spelled doom for her and her house. It was the start of the fall of House Stark. How can you not see that her betraying her own family, not just once but several times, takes her out of the grey area?

THe death of Lady was the begining of her greyness. She lied and that lie really spelled doom for her and her house. It was the start of the fall of House Stark. How can you not see that her betraying her own family, not just once but several times, takes her out of the grey area?

I won't dispute that she lied. Put I think her POV chapters make clear, at least to me, that she lied with good intentions, no? I mean she was young and fooled by love. But she was lying for love and not for self-interest.

don't you think that's an important distinction?

I won't dispute that she lied. Put I think her POV chapters make clear, at least to me, that she lied with good intentions, no? I mean she was young and fooled by love. But she was lying for love and not for self-interest.

don't you think that's an important distinction?

is there any greater self interest than love?

That's why I put "good" in quotes. There really isn't any such thing as a 100% pure good character. There are those that aspire to honor and virtue though.

I think this is our main disagreement, though Hot Pie. While I do think it's admirable to aspire to those traits. Eddard and Brienne do that. But sometimes you have to choose between the right and the good with honor. That's where you can see a bit of grayness in those characters, IMO.

But with Sansa, when she was young and innocent: it was all for love, that purest (whitest) of motives. Now she's is the classic Damsel in Distress.

Do you see what I'm trying to say?

is there any greater self interest than love?

Heh, nice one. I guess it would depend if we asked Khalil Gibrain or St. Paul. :P

doing something for the love of someone else is wholey pure; doing something to gain the love of someone is not

Well, I think you are saying something like: The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions.

I can understand that sentiment even if I don't agree with it. Think about the "white" characters in our own religion or mythology.

Besides, what Sansa was trying to gain was the fruition of her love. Recall the transition from her views on Loras over time and her views on the Hound over time. Certainly she's maturing but I don't see how you can say she is more gray now.

Do you think Tysha is still alive?

Yes. GRRM made it clear she was sent off by Tywin, not killed. Usually he kills people. :P

I'm not sure she will feature in the books, though, because it's more realistic that he never sees her again.

Yes. GRRM made it clear she was sent off by Tywin, not killed. Usually he kills people. :P

I'm not sure she will feature in the books, though, because it's more realistic that he never sees her again.

Well, not to get too off topic but she might have been one of the whores in Bravoos, no? But I doubt Tyrion will ever see her.

Well, I think you are saying something like: The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions.

I can understand that sentiment even if I don't agree with it. Think about the "white" characters in our own religion or mythology.

Besides, what Sansa was trying to gain was the fruition of her love. Recall the transition from her views on Loras over time and her views on the Hound over time. Certainly she's maturing but I don't see how you can say she is more gray now.

she is learning how to use and manipulate people...that is never a "white" or 'good" thing

she is learning how to use and manipulate people...that is never a "white" or 'good" thing

That's is such spin :mad:

What LF is trying to teach her and what she learns are two different things. Do you have any evidence that she is getting manipulative with impure motives?

Will Sansa be the queen of love and beauty at the end?

Aha - on this I am not sure. I think she will be queen of love and beauty *near* the end, but I suspect she may be brought down in the end. I'm not sure there'll be a happy reconciliation between her and Arya...any more than between Tyrion and Jaime.

Your comments suggested you thought Tyrion might 'rescue' Sansa. A very romantic suggestion, but I don't think these books are so romantic. There is some appeal to the idea that Sansa will become reconciled to Tyrion and see beyond his apparently grotesque appearance... too late perhaps, because he is on a downwards path at the moment... but even if they meet again and are reconciled, I can't see them living happily ever after.

Well, Soph, I have this completely crazy theory that there will be a scene with Dany, Sansa, and Tyrion altogether. And Dany will try to punish and/or have Sansa executed. And Tyrion, by that time will be a part of her entourage.

And this will put Tyrion to the test, but in the end he'll choose Sansa.

Archived