Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 3: Not Dead After All

felice

Blade did go pretty worldwide in three I believe, vampires getting hunted by a super monster thing. If they do go with Blade I'd like a fresh start.

The main issue with Blade was Snipes' behaviour on set. He was stoned all the time, would only answer to 'Blade,' wouldn't come out of his trailer half the time, and started at one point only communicating via post-it note.

I'd recommend to anyone reading Patton Oswalt Random Roles interview for AV Club in which he talks about the insanity that was the set of Blade 3. Just hilarious.

Blade is one of those properties that could make a terrific cable TV series, especially if Marvel wanted to Partner with an FX or an AMC.... or even better, a pay channel... its not reliant on the rest of the Marvel universe.... it has action & vampires, and the appeal of Marvel, so it should be the kind of brand TV execs are looking for,,,, all they need is decent writers & casting LOL

Blade is one of those properties that could make a terrific cable TV series, especially if Marvel wanted to Partner with an FX or an AMC.... or even better, a pay channel... its not reliant on the rest of the Marvel universe.... it has action & vampires, and the appeal of Marvel, so it should be the kind of brand TV execs are looking for,,,, all they need is decent writers & casting LOL

Not a fan of the Spike TV series then?

Yeah me neither.

I'd recommend to anyone reading Patton Oswalt Random Roles interview for AV Club in which he talks about the insanity that was the set of Blade 3. Just hilarious.

That interview is great thanks for the hint

Blade did go pretty worldwide in three I believe, vampires getting hunted by a super monster thing. If they do go with Blade I'd like a fresh start.

I think that's Blade 2 you're thinking of with the super-vampires hunting normal vampires. Blade Trinity was the one with Dracula.

You're right. Huh, looks like I haven't seen Blade Trinity. I've just seen One and Two. Guess I'll have to see it to see what the deal is.

You're not missing a huge amount, it has some entertainment value but it's definitely the least of the trilogy by a considerable distance.

I just read that, suddenly the amount of screentime given to Ryan Reynolds delivering ridiculous lines makes more sense if they were trying to fill in for the lack of the lead actor.

Wait, so the ancient one is Tilda Swinton ? , and Baron Mordo is Chiwetel Ejiofor ? Why ? I'm not on of those who go around screaming if there is a gender or race change in adaptations , but still, this is odd. (Especially The Ancient One not being Asain )

Tilda as the Ancient one seems mostly just to be due to her availability and maybe wanting to tone down the Tibetan angle. Still a peculiar choice to have a white women play an Asian man, if they wanted to genderbend I'm sure an Asian kungfu matriarch actress could have been found, especially since the Asian mysticism angle ties into the lucrative Asian market.

As for Mordo his origin story as the arrogant Eastern european aristocrat hasn't aged well. In the 1960thies it was still a real concept, now not really. The excellent animated 2007 Dr Strange movie had Mordo as an Asian lieutenant considering himself the Ancient ones successor, and his resentment and envy towards Strange the white foreign prodigy adds a lot to the movie. So molding his character for the sake diversity doesn't detract from the Strange backstory IMO.

I would do yourself a huge favor and not see that movie. It's one of the worst movies ever made.

That's kind of why I want to see it. The line between gloriously bad and bad is a fine one, and if it's the former there's a perverse joy to watching films like that. If it's just plain bad I'll do something else.

• 2 weeks later...

So, here's a thing. Katie Holmes is actually pretty tall 5'9". Would she be a reasonable option for Captain Marvel? I didn't like her acting at all when she was a teen, but roles she's played as an adult, starting with Batman Begins, I've been pretty happy with. And obvs since she did Batman she isn't averse to doing superhero movies.

I know I'm a bit fixated on actor height for Captain Marvel, but this is actually a compromise with Katie being a tad bit shorter than my ideal. She is about the right age for a Colonel in the military as a starting point.

She's a quality actor, she probably doesn't come with an A-list price tag any more, but she is very widely known. And even though I hated Dawson's Creek she was the headline female star, so she can carry. Quite a good mix of pluses for her to take on the responsibility of carrying a pivotal movie in the MCU movie.

I would do yourself a huge favor and not see that movie. It's one of the worst movies ever made.

Not as bad as Ghost Rider 2.

I haven't been able to picture anyone but Charlize Theron for Captain Marvel. That's not who they'll go with, but that's who I'm picturing.

Probably too expensive given she's well known and riding off yet another successful film.

So, here's a thing. Katie Holmes is actually pretty tall 5'9". Would she be a reasonable option for Captain Marvel?

Would she dye her hair?

So, here's a thing. Katie Holmes is actually pretty tall 5'9". Would she be a reasonable option for Captain Marvel? I didn't like her acting at all when she was a teen, but roles she's played as an adult, starting with Batman Begins, I've been pretty happy with. And obvs since she did Batman she isn't averse to doing superhero movies.

I know I'm a bit fixated on actor height for Captain Marvel, but this is actually a compromise with Katie being a tad bit shorter than my ideal. She is about the right age for a Colonel in the military as a starting point.

She's a quality actor, she probably doesn't come with an A-list price tag any more, but she is very widely known. And even though I hated Dawson's Creek she was the headline female star, so she can carry. Quite a good mix of pluses for her to take on the responsibility of carrying a pivotal movie in the MCU movie.

no dear no god why

quailty actor what

Archived