Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mooz

The Theon Durden Theory - Curated

13 posts in this topic

Just making this thread to put together and curate all of the evidence pointing towards (or even against) the Theon Durden Theory (TD).

For those not familiar with TD:

• It is theorised that Theon is suffering from split/multiple personality disorder
  • He has bee severely tortured by Ramsay and now sees himself as Reek
  • He seems to have trouble keeping track of what is going on around him
  • Strange things are happening around him
    • Hooded Man*
    • Skipping from breakfast, straight to lunch in the same paragraph

• He is slowly seeing himself as one the Starks
  • He can't seem to sleep while at Winterfell and wonders around a lot

Please include:

• Evidence (quotes from books or other media)
  • Link to original thread (if exists)

Happy hunting!

* This is not a thread to prove that Theon is the HM, but references to the HM can help prove Theon's possible multiple personality disorder.

The hooded man is wearing what Theon wore in the beginning. He also has the same mannerisms and calls him a kinslayer when he never killed his own kin.

I was under the impression this was totally crackpot without any real supporting evidence.

The hooded man is wearing what Theon wore in the beginning. He also has the same mannerisms and calls him a kinslayer when he never killed his own kin.

The argument for the kinslayer bit is the millers boys.

It's often mentioned how he is still capable of wielding a dagger. Also Little Walder is murdered, and he is the one Theon despised. weak evidence all around but I haven't seen a convincing theory on the hooded man yet.

This is one of those things that I don't think holds much weight, but I love to think it might be true.

The chapter is titled A Ghost in Winterfell, which, IMO, makes it pretty clear that the Hooded Man is Theon. That being said, I don't think that Theon is the one killing Freys throughout Winterfell. To me the book made it pretty clear that the Spearwives were the ones doing it. Little Walder might have been killed by Theon, but it's just as likely that it was Big Walder or some Stark loyalist acting in Manderly's orders.

The argument for the kinslayer bit is the millers boys.

I dislike that argument. I'd be more likely to accept that him selling the ironborn down the river at Moat Cailin was the Kinslaying.

I don't mind this theory (nor do I strongly support it), but regarding the "kinslaying" bit, I think it's simply one of those things that are (unfairly) thrown at Theon's feet, because a lot of people - sometimes including himself - thinks he should have considered the Starks kin, and as they think he murdered them, well... 1+1 = 2.

To clarify, I don't think Theon should be under any particular obligation to think of the Starks as kin. That said, and kinship or otherwise, murdering people you grew up with is pretty monstrous, as is killing two entirely unaffiliated and innocent kids just to save face.

I love this theory, I'm not quite sure why, but I don't really buy it. The hints are too tenuous, even for George.

I can actually see this theory being true. At first glance it sounds crazy but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. After so much torture from the hands of Ramsay it wouldn't be surprising if Theon developed multiple personalities as a coping mechanism. I'm not sure if Theon was the one who did all the killings in Winterfell though. If he did, shouldn't he have memory of it in his Winds chapter since he's not Reek any more?