Walking Dead Season 5 (No Comic Spoilers) Part 3

awesome possum

Hah, you are right they probably are foreshadowing the town's fall. Cannot have a 12th season like they want to without surviving the tv ratings and keeping interest hinged appropriately. Gotta have that drama and suspense to make things interesting! Who would continue to watch if Rick is in a wheelchair out on the front porch with zombified Darryl and Michonne attached to his front porch with their jaws and hands cut off. To just wait out his days of the end of humanity...

I do believe that it MATTERS whom would be the instigator in the scenario given he has people he's been with since almost the start of it all. Glenn, Maggie, or even Sasha he would be quick to side with but I am not entirely sure he feels the same way about Abraham, Rosita, and the liar guy (forgot his name.)

Could be Gabriel. He's the most recent addition to the group so he hasn't been around for long, or done much to earn Rick's loyalty beyond sort of being one of them. Not sure what Gabriel might get up to to cause any trouble though.

I think that the bracing being on the wrong side is so obvious on purpose, to foreshadow a breach of the walls.

Ha! I'm glad to hear you say this. Those struts really bother me, but I wasn't sure if it was really that troublesome, or if its just the builder in me being too picky. Those walls are wrong on so many levels. They're wrong from a defensive standpoint, wrong by structural design, and wrong from a plot perspective. If you are going to surround your town with 10' metal zombieproof walls, which side of it do you want to be on while you futz around with adding many dozens of pole braces? Inside the walls, or outside? Its such a glaring oversight that its got to be relevant to the plot somehow.

Could be Gabriel. He's the most recent addition to the group so he hasn't been around for long, or done much to earn Rick's loyalty beyond sort of being one of them. Not sure what Gabriel might get up to to cause any trouble though.

Ha! I'm glad to hear you say this. Those struts really bother me, but I wasn't sure if it was really that troublesome, or if its just the builder in me being too picky. Those walls are wrong on so many levels. They're wrong from a defensive standpoint, wrong by structural design, and wrong from a plot perspective. If you are going to surround your town with 10' metal zombieproof walls, which side of it do you want to be on while you futz around with adding many dozens of pole braces? Inside the walls, or outside? Its such a glaring oversight that its got to be relevant to the plot somehow.

I was thinking the EXACT! same thing.

Ha! Every time I see Gabriel in the background I think about how dangerous it is to have a preacher in your group in a post-apocalyptic world. The dude has already burned his flock once. Then he's apologizing to his lord for daring to be upset that there wasn't rain when he was dehydrated. He starts breaking out the bible and getting a bit fundamental on the crowd, there will be some massive trouble.

Woodbury's 'walls' were far better. People can patrol the top, there aren't enormous struts people can just shin up. Unless they have scouts out permanently, someone could be on the other side of those walls and they'd never know.

Sure, but so-so walls are still better than none.

Maybe that's why Rick's group was scouted out in the first place. To apply these defenses and fortify the walls even more so. Who better than they as they know all about Woodbury/Prison camps and why they fell.

Definitely. This brings up something else that's been on my mind. Rick's last line about taking over is presented ominously, but I'm not sure it has to be that way. Deanna herself said that Rick's group are equals in all things, so that should mean they have an equal voice in governance. If Rick can present viable ideas that appeal, he can garner enough community support to move policies in the direction he and his people prefer. That's democracy.

Yeah, can't sit still too long and be safe or the show dynamic goes away. I can see them giving them a break to rebuild their spirits and remember what it is like to be human, only to lose it all in the finale. Also see a thinning of the herd so to speak. Thinking we may lose some soon. Thinking Abraham and his crew may decide to go visit D.C. since they worked so hard to get there.

Ha! Every time I see Gabriel in the background I think about how dangerous it is to have a preacher in your group in a post-apocalyptic world. The dude has already burned his flock once. Then he's apologizing to his lord for daring to be upset that there wasn't rain when he was dehydrated. He starts breaking out the bible and getting a bit fundamental on the crowd, there will be some massive trouble.

Heh, yeah, thats a trope we haven't seen yet. Gabriel as the apocalyptic doomsayer. Didn't it start raining soon after his crisis of faith, too? I can see him starting problems, though not the sort that would raise the sort of loyalty conflicts that JamesD2020 suggested. Rick would put down that sort of rabblerousing with extreme prejudice.

That's democracy.

Is Alexandria a Democracy?

Is Alexandria a Democracy?

We'll soon find out, won't we? If Rick and his people start pushing for changes, and can get others to agree, Deanna's going to have to decide if she wants to try being a dictator. That didn't work for Rick--even his slavish followers started to resent him--and I doubt it would work for Deanna, at least for very long.

Finally figured out why my direct quotes wasn't working!

Anyway yeah he seems pretty dangerous but mostly in a passive aggressive manner. He wouldn't like directly threaten anyone unless he alone had the power to make the 'call.' I presume in the scenario they are all in now if the situation arises that he alone is within the walls of Alexandria (if the off-chance he is) and everyone was being chased by zombies... would he let them enter or not?

Also lets not forget that he symbolically took off his priest's collar in a gesture that might seem to some that he has lost faith in it all.

The haircutter's husband's sarcasm in "Welcome to Alexandria" suggests there's something sinister here that the newcomers don't know yet. Maybe Diana has a breeding program to try to repopulate the human race, even if the potential breeders have other relationships, and she's trying to get the newcomer's presumed superior genes into her community of idiots.

RE: Tracker

Yeah, i don't know. She was a Congresswoman, so maybe there has been at least a pretext of democracy. Though, from what we've seen, she does seem to have absolute authority. Unless theres been some off screen committee meetings/voting about the groups acceptance, or duties, and whatever.

Also is Alexandria supposed to house dozens of survivors? How many exactly are there inhabiting this safe haven? Rick's position within his own group gives him much power but his group should be significantly smaller than this new community.. Woodbury had a ton more residents than the prison at the time before it fell... Im thinking this would be true to this community as well. Also why does it appear that they are not farming? Why are they still resorting to scavenging especially if they are a large community they would have run out of areas to go after nearby?

Sure, but so-so walls are still better than none.

Definitely. This brings up something else that's been on my mind. Rick's last line about taking over is presented ominously, but I'm not sure it has to be that way. Deanna herself said that Rick's group are equals in all things, so that should mean they have an equal voice in governance. If Rick can present viable ideas that appeal, he can garner enough community support to move policies in the direction he and his people prefer. That's democracy.

Also why does it appear that they are not farming? Why are they still resorting to scavenging especially if they are a large community they would have run out of areas to go after nearby?

Why do you think that they are not farming? We know they have an apple orchard and are making apple sauce. There's no reason to believe that they aren't both farming and scavenging. For all we know now, they are not scavenging for food, but other supplies like fuel, medicines, etc.

Hopefully we'll get some exposition next week that fleshes out the community a bit. If for no other reason than so we can all be at least a little invested in its impending downfall :P

Archived