What is a bitter-sweet ending...

Tana

A bittersweet ending? One where we can't stop crying for all those we've lost but there are still a handful remaining so we don't want to end it all and jump off a cliff.

Specifically, I suspect most of the Big 5 will still be around but there's not telling what they'll be around. Westeros will no doubt be a shell of what it was, which was pretty rough to begin with. Kings Landing looks like it will be gone, too, but there should be a hopeful note of being able to rebuild it all.

The message of these books?

All men must die.

I agree, when I heard he wanted it left on a bitter sweet ending this is what came to mind.

Maybe the children of the forest and giants finally get their land back? That way everyone's happy (my meaning if stannis, tommen or daenerys sit the throne it will make some fans happy and others pissed off)

I was not talking about asoiaf, but any other books written by him. In order to guess the ending, we don't need to understand the minds of all the characters, just george's

He brings up TLotR all the time for this. He says although Frodo survives, the Shire is destroyed and he can not go back to the person he was before the quest. That is bittersweet.

Lots more bodies of peasants, lords and named characters and destoryed infrastructure with haunted survivors picking up the pieces to rebuild. With King/Queen PUTNAMEHERE, (not who everyone wants but who managed to survive) doing best to lead Westeros into the future

I think it will have a bittersweet ending the same way Robert’s Rebellion did. The bad guy is defeated, though perhaps not as totally as on could wish, but other things are lost, relationships are damaged, and there’s an implication that whatever resolution has been achieved won’t last.

....It ends and we know what happens to some people and their futures. While for others the story just ends, and we do not what ever happened to or what became of them.

....which would leave many people saying we could have another book someday, which of course could lead to another in universe book ala Dunk and EGG but a 100 years later kind of thing.

Archived