What characters could be spun-off into a childrens' series?

SerDerrick

Now that I have an infant daughter, I wished there were more family friendly stories based in the world of "A Song of Ice and FIre" that very young children could read. The Ice Dragon is good, but I was hoping for something even simpler...

For example, would anyone be interested if the follow point of view characters got their own childrens' series?

Rickon Stark (He's still an infant/toddler, so he cannot have that many adult storylines yet)

Robb Stark (His campaign in the westerlands may be interesting for younger viewers)

Aegon Targaryen (the supposed son of Rhaegar and Elia, while he was growing up under Griff, and obviously before he hit puberty)

It may be interesting to get a view of "A Song of Ice and Fire" that would be "safe" for young readers, but still occur during the same time as the series, so that when the readers get old enough (or able to get to the library on their own), can see the stories inter-relate with The Winds of Winter, etc...

Just a thought. Anybody have any comments?

PS: Obviously my infant daughter doesn't understand the story of "The Ice Dragon", but when she sees the cover with the young girl riding the Ice Dragon, she just reaches forward to grab the book from my hands...so I hope that means she's interested.

Dunk and Egg is certainly milder. Like still depressingly realistic. But I'd be happy to let a 13-15 year old read...wait I remember the bit where Aerion threatens to turn Aegon into a girl.

Okay a more pared down version of Dunk and Egg I think could be a children's story.

Young Griff would be good but if he ends up dying gruesomely I feel that might not work as young readers might see that on the internet or something.

"Learn to Read with The Onion Knight!" by Ser Davos Seaworth.

In all seriousness I think you'd have to make up your own stories about the characters, or cut out inappropriate things (so in a story about the Hand's Tourney Ser Hugh of the Vale is simply defeated and not killed).

If the Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna, it could be a nice story about how a young girl defied protocol to compete in a tourney.

Yeah, this is the best candidate, methinks. That or following the Stark kids up to just before AGOT. Imagine the shenanigans young Arya and Bran get into under their parents' noses, enraging their big sister Sansa. Meanwhile Robb and Jon play juvenile pranks around Winterfell while Theon tries to fit in with them, even as Eddard patiently teaches them how to be men of the North.

If the Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna, it could be a nice story about how a young girl defied protocol to compete in a tourney.

We've got a winner. I think it would work even if the Knight was Howland, though. Bullied kids would relate to him

I hated the mess that was TPatQ, but I think Baela Targaryen and Moondancer could work as the subjects of a very short story about a badass girl and her dragon who fight an evil guy and an evil dragon

A lot of the in world stories would be good: Florien The Fool springs to mind, and Pate the Pigboy

Young Robert and Ned Adventures?

How about some fables?:

How The Zorse got its stripes (Selective breeding)

How the smallpox victim got his spots (POOR SANITATION)

How the Targaryen got its purple eyes (Crippling genetic corruption)

Now I think about a comic series re-writing ASOIAF only with Dany as deformed and retarded as her inbreeding would suggest she should be would be good.

Now that I have an infant daughter, I wished there were more family friendly stories based in the world of "A Song of Ice and FIre" that very young children could read. The Ice Dragon is good, but I was hoping for something even simpler...

For example, would anyone be interested if the follow point of view characters got their own childrens' series?

Rickon Stark (He's still an infant/toddler, so he cannot have that many adult storylines yet)

Robb Stark (His campaign in the westerlands may be interesting for younger viewers)

Aegon Targaryen (the supposed son of Rhaegar and Elia, while he was growing up under Griff, and obviously before he hit puberty)

It may be interesting to get a view of "A Song of Ice and Fire" that would be "safe" for young readers, but still occur during the same time as the series, so that when the readers get old enough (or able to get to the library on their own), can see the stories inter-relate with The Winds of Winter, etc...

Just a thought. Anybody have any comments?

PS: Obviously my infant daughter doesn't understand the story of "The Ice Dragon", but when she sees the cover with the young girl riding the Ice Dragon, she just reaches forward to grab the book from my hands...so I hope that means she's interested.

The Adventures of Ramsay Snow and Reek. Just kidding, but I think that the second book of the Dunk and Egg series is good. The first too, if you cut certain parts. Or you could tell her the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree, just replace the epithets like 'The Quiet Wolf' with the actual names of the characters.

Rickon Stark, except that I expect things to be pretty savage and bloody where he is

Lyanna Mormont (with tips on letter writing!)

Shireen Baratheon

Trystane Martell, maybe

I did read the Dunk and Egg stories to my two oldest boys, omitting the truly awful things and the sexual references.

For pre-or-post-series options:

Cat's childhood at Riverrun, stopping before things get messy during her teens.

Aemon Steelsong

Meera and Jojen's childhood

Dany in the House with the Red Door. It's all happiness and lemon trees.

I think the lil’ Sand Snakes have lots of Anne of Green Gables-like adventures that involve accidentally dying their hair green and stealing Ser Manfrey’s last clean pair of socks. And once, Myrcella tried to make Trystane some pudding, but she forgot to cover it overnight and a mouse got into it!

"Learn to Read with The Onion Knight!" by Ser Davos Seaworth.

In all seriousness I think you'd have to make up your own stories about the characters, or cut out inappropriate things (so in a story about the Hand's Tourney Ser Hugh of the Vale is simply defeated and not killed).

Now, that's really an idea - I mean the Davos thingy.

And yeah, I'd also maybe start with D&E. And later "The Ice Dragon". Depends on the curiosity.

Archived