Let's talk about that rare beast- celebrities that no-one hates.

polishgenius

You really should. Excellent flick, and she is rather amazing in it. Great supporting cast as well, particularly John Hawkes and Dale Dickey.

Good movie, only reason I watched was because of Hawkes. I miss Sol...

One more vote for The Rock. He's got the charisma and just seems like an all around great dude.

As to Jennifer Lawrence being a bad actress, I completely disagree. I thought she was great in SLP, and haven't really ever had a problem with any of her performances. I don't care for some of the movies she's done (American Hustle comes to mind), but not because of her.

Sean Connery? I think besides Alex Trebek everyone likes him.

I'm going to guess this gets him some hate: Sean Connery on hitting women.

For people who don't like videos: "Well, if you have tried everything else – and women are pretty good at this – they can’t leave it alone they want to have the last word and you give them the last word – but they’re not happy with the last word. They want to say it again and – and get into a really provocative situation. Then I think it’s absolutely right."

For people who don't like videos: "Well, if you have tried everything else and women are pretty good at this they cant leave it alone they want to have the last word and you give them the last word but theyre not happy with the last word. They want to say it again and and get into a really provocative situation. Then I think its absolutely right."

Wow.

I couldn't watch the video. How long ago was that? (I only ask because I wonder why it's not very well known)

Edit: of all the revelations in this thread, this disappointed me the most. I feel like I just lost a childhood hero. I'll never look at Dr No the same. But given Bill Cosby and Mel Gibson, I shouldn't be so surprised.

Wow.

I couldn't watch the video. How long ago was that? (I only ask because I wonder why it's not very well known)

Edit: of all the revelations in this thread, this disappointed me the most. I feel like I just lost a childhood hero. I'll never look at Dr No the same. But given Bill Cosby and Mel Gibson, I shouldn't be so surprised.

It was a 1987 interview.  The worst part is Barbara Walters is trying to get him to apologize for some remarks he made back in the 60's. She brings up a Playboy interview where he had said something similar, obviously hoping he'll say he's grown since then, and instead he says "I haven't changed my opinion."

Yeap - with you there. I'm not sure of the annoying part, I just don't think she's a good actress - She just doesn't leave an impression on me. To be fair, I haven't seen her in the more critically acclaimed roles such as Winter's Bone ( I *really* should watch that film). However, I think she's pretty poor in The Hunger Games and X Men. 

I haven't seen Winter's Bone either. I have however seen pretty much every other critically acclaimed role of her (plus some of the popcorn movies she has done) and she has failed to move me every single time. SLP, American Hustle, the two X-men's and the  first Hunger Games they all have one thing in common and that is her boring and uninteresting performance.

As to the annoying part of my previous post, unearned praise works on me like a red flag on a bull, so I can quickly come to dislike pretty much everything about a person if those things happen. Especially, when everyone's always raving about how normal and quirky she is and things that don't really matter as long as her acting isn't good enough to earn her entrance in places where she can contrast with all the smug Hollywood stars for being "quirky and normal."

For people who don't like videos: "Well, if you have tried everything else – and women are pretty good at this – they can’t leave it alone they want to have the last word and you give them the last word – but they’re not happy with the last word. They want to say it again and – and get into a really provocative situation. Then I think it’s absolutely right."

This is why I'm in general not to keen on Sean Connery's Bond films. Way to old-fashioned in things like this.

As to the annoying part of my previous post, unearned praise works on me like a red flag on a bull

Well, she clearly works for some most people though so I'm not sure about the unearned praise bit. It's all subjective, isn't it? 

We live in a world were Transformers, 50 Shades of Grey and other crapfests make millions of dollar. Argumentum ad populum isn't the best justification for her "talent" it only says something about her popularity.

I may as well add my voice to the Jennifer Lawrence debate. I like some of her performances, actually, just Winter's Bone. Outside of that, I'm simply annoyed at that she seems like a well packaged product. I'm constantly bombarded with how awesome she is. Blockbusters. Award season. It's a like a Weinstein campaign that never ends. I just need a break for a little while to decide whether I like her because what's being sold about her is true, or whether I should do it because she's Jennifer Lawrence. Same thing goes for hating the Kardashians or Anne Hathaway.

Sean Connery? I think besides Alex Trebek everyone likes him.

no he said its okay to hit women to put them in their place lmao old sexist asshole tbh

edit: someone already mentioned this/ 

also...don't mind lawrence at all. absolutely loved silver linings playbook and the way it treated mental health. don't see how she could do much more with the way her character is written in the hunger games movies and i like those films. think she seems nice enough and says some stupid things because shes only in her early 20s. 

i think people like jump down the throats of those they thgink are being unfairly praised, i mean veltigar even admitted he does that, and i don't think thats fair. just because you don't agree with the hype doesn't mean you should actively hate everything about the person unless you genuinely don't like the things they say and think theyre an asshole. 

I don't even know about the annoying/ not annoying things she's said- that's neither here nor there. I was commenting on her acting, which is the relevant bit for me. 

Also, you lot have convinced me to rent Winter's Bone tonight - It was between that or starting with Orphan Black. 

I don't even know about the annoying/ not annoying things she's said- that's neither here nor there. I was commenting on her acting, which is the relevant bit for me. 

Also, you lot have convinced me to rent Winter's Bone tonight - It was between that or starting with Orphan Black. 

oh no watch Orphan Black :P 

I'm still waiting for season 3 to air in the UK :( But I love it. 

^^Orphan Black, Orphan Black. I vote for Orphan Black.

oh no watch Orphan Black :P

I'm still waiting for season 3 to air in the UK :( But I love it. 

TOO MANY CHOICES. I hate making these decisions. I'm heading to the dvd rental place in an hour ( yes, we have still rent physical DVDs here), I'll play it by ear. 

Edit : HAH. I meant Black Mirror, not Orphan Black. I get those two confused all the time. 

Archived