Video Games 2015: Pillars of Modernity

Werthead

Carrying on from the previous thread.

So what's going to be GotY? Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, or Uncharted 4?

None of the above, I suspect. It's going to be something that pops out of nowhere and surprises everyone. Or No Man's Sky if it meets its billing.

That said, I'm still waiting for Pillars of Eternity, GTA5 PC and The Banner Saga 2. That new D&D game, Sword Coast Legends, looks like it'll be worth a look.

Homeworld: Shipbreakers looks like being 2016, and I suspect StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void is going to be 2016 as well, despite some optimism it'd be this year.

If Bethesda announce a Fallout 4 at E3 and release it for Christmas, all bets will be off.

Games still to be released this year (in bold are the ones I'm most interested in):

Hotline Miami 2

Resident Evil: Revelations 2

Battlefield Hardline

Dreamfall Chapters

Sid Meier's Starships

Cities: Skylines

Pillars of Eternity

Project CARS

GTA 5 PC

Mortal Komat X

Galactic Civilisations III

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Chaos Reborn

Batman: Arkham Knight

American Truck Simulator

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Assassin's Creed: Victory

Broken Age Act 2

Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Dead Island 2

Deus Ex Universe

Dreadnought

Fables Legends

Gran Turismo 7

Halo 5: Guardians

Hearts of Iron IV

Homefront: The Revolution

Just Cause 3

King's Quest IX

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Might and Magic Heroes VII

Minecraft Story Mode

No Man's Sky

Quantum Break

Rise of the Tomb Raider (X-Box 301/One only, PC and PS4 in 2016)

Satellite Reign

Space Hulk: Deathwing

Star Citizen: Squadron 42 (might fall back to 2016)

Star Wars: Battlefront

The Witness

Torments: Tides of Numenera (will probably fall back to 2016)

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

Warhammer: Total War (very likely to be a 2016 release)

Isn't Torment - Tides of Numenera supposed to be released late this year as well?

There seems to be a fairly strong expectation that the game will launch at the start of 2016, just based on the delays to inXile's previous games. If they do get it out at the end of 2015, that'll be surprising.

More good-looking games coming out this year than I realized. The ones I'm potentially looking forward to from that list are:

Sid Meier's Starships- Maybe. I've never heard of it until now, but I always give that team the benefit of the doubt. I may wait a couple expansions before picking up though, like I am with Beyond Earth.

Pillars of Eternity- Absolutely

Shadowrun: Hong Kong- Absolutely

Deus Ex Universe- No idea what this is, but I liked the most recent game well enough, so if it's like that; sure.

Dreadnought- Maybe. I need to learn more about it first.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance- Maybe. I need to learn more about it first.

No Man's Sky- The big question of the year. Even if its not great, I'll probably pick it up once it hits the PC, just see it for myself

Rise of the Tomb Raider- Probably, once it hits the PC.

Satellite Reign- I hadn't heard of this before, but I'm interested.

Space Hulk: Deathwing- I hadn't heard of this either, but I'm always looking for that amazing WH40K game that never seems to exist.

Star Citizen: Squadron 42- Depends on exactly what's in it.

Torments: Tides of Numenera- Absolutely

Sid Meier's Starships- Maybe. I've never heard of it until now, but I always give that team the benefit of the doubt. I may wait a couple expansions before picking up though, like I am with Beyond Earth.

This is an SF update of his old, fun and relatively lightweight game Sid Meier's Pirates!, so it should be good for a laugh but I wouldn't expect anything too deep. Probably not too many expansions either.

Deus Ex Universe- No idea what this is, but I liked the most recent game well enough, so if it's like that; sure.

It's a catch-all title for a bunch of new console, PC and mobile games, one of which will be a sequel to Human Revolution. This is also likely to slip, given we haven't heard much more about it at all.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance- Maybe. I need to learn more about it first.

It's a full-on historical RPG with no fantasy elements at all, set in Bohemia in 1403. One of those, "Where aren't there more of these?" things.

Satellite Reign- I hadn't heard of this before, but I'm interested.

It's a modern remake of Syndicate (a proper remake, not like that shite FPS from a few years ago) from the original makers, which is good enough for me.

Star Citizen: Squadron 42- Depends on exactly what's in it.

This is the single-player, story-driven, linear space combat spin-off from Star Citizen (which itself is not due until 2016), made by Chris Roberts's brother Erin. Erin was the guy behind several of the SP Wing Commander games and also the superb and underrated StarLancer. I'm frankly more excited about this than Star Citizen itself.

Pillars of Eternity

GTA 5 PC

Deus Ex Universe

Hearts of Iron IV

Just Cause 3

Games I'm looking forward to, for now, assuming Deus Ex Universe contains a worthy sequel to Human Revolution. Bolded are those I cannot wait for. Plus the full release of Darkest Dungeon, this game looks pretty interesting but Early Access = no for me.

Pillars of Eternity

Deus Ex Universe

No Man's Sky

Games I want. Also interested in The Universim, but that doesn't seem to be a 2015 game, and the Heists for GTA: Online.

-I'm gunning for Pillars of Eternity myself as a big fan of Baldur's Gate 2.

-The Witcher 3 is interesting and beautiful to me but I am not sure if I can handle the combat as I seem to suck at Dark Souls and action RPGs. Dragon's Dogma was the only thing I was able to play that might come close to it. Please do let me know how you feel about it.

-Looking forward to Star Citizen and No Man's Sky as I love space exploration and combat. Just wondering how entailing both games will be.

-Was hoping The Legend of Zelda Wii U would be out this year but think we have to wait a bit more....

-Trying to find the next best Minecraft/Terraria clone the puts in a nice SNES King Arthur by Jaleco with a hybrid of survivor and tower defense into it.

Games I am working on now are:

Dragon Age Inquisition - 2nd playthrough, cheating my way with the glitches and unlimited mats this time lol.

Evil Within - Barely played first level but want to jump back in soon

GTA V PS4 - Barely played but will soon

Shadows of Mordor - Again barely played

StarCraft 2 Arcade (Hero Attack 3x) - Takes just about all my time, hence why I don't play the above so much.

Castle Crashers - Semi fun but not like SNES King Arthur, the physics are not quite there.

Clash of Clans for Cell Phone - For the gamer on the move lol. My TH is lv 8 yay.

Wow... so many games that I want to play. Looks like I'm going to need to get that PS4 a bit earlier than expected and pick up some of the games I already want before bloodborne comes out.

Grrr. Homeworld Remastered is, although fully playable, beset by a metric ton of minor bugs. Just a few of them would be bearable but there's a really big load of issues which combined make the game more irritating than it should be. The biggest one is that no-one thought to check if the source code had been updated to include the patches. It turns out it hadn't, so all the annoying problems that were in the game on release and which I haven't seen since before the 21st Century began are back with a vengeance, most notably how you can screw up mission objectives by not letting the opening cinematic of each mission play out and how frigates have armour like tissue paper. Also, as the game now uses the HW2 engine, the mission scaling makes each mission far too tough with the HW1 paradigm in place (most noticeably the importance on capturing enemy ships). You're actually better off simply maxing out the unit cap and not bothering capturing enemy vessels, which is a bit poor.

Still, it looks freaking amazing. Both the new stuff and the old stuff which has been fully updated (like the music, which is even more awesome than ever now) are pretty good. HW2 certainly benefits immensely from the improvements as it otherwise plays exactly the same. A lot of HW1's issues will apparently be nuked by a patch at the end of the week, but given how many of them are inextricably linked to being moved into an inferior (but prettier) engine it's doubtful if they can catch them all.

Hotline Miami 2

Resident Evil: Revelations 2

Battlefield Hardline

Dreamfall Chapters

Sid Meier's Starships

Cities: Skylines

Pillars of Eternity

Project CARS

GTA 5 PC

Mortal Komat X

Galactic Civilisations III

Chaos Reborn

American Truck Simulator

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Assassin's Creed: Victory

Broken Age Act 2

Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Dead Island 2

Deus Ex Universe

Dreadnought

Fables Legends

Gran Turismo 7

Hearts of Iron IV

Homefront: The Revolution

Just Cause 3

King's Quest IX

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Might and Magic Heroes VII

Minecraft Story Mode

No Man's Sky

Quantum Break

Satellite Reign

Space Hulk: Deathwing

Star Citizen: Squadron 42 (might fall back to 2016)

The Witness

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

How in the world did you leave Bloodborne off this list?

This is an SF update of his old, fun and relatively lightweight game Sid Meier's Pirates!, so it should be good for a laugh but I wouldn't expect anything too deep. Probably not too many expansions either.

It's a catch-all title for a bunch of new console, PC and mobile games, one of which will be a sequel to Human Revolution. This is also likely to slip, given we haven't heard much more about it at all.

It's a full-on historical RPG with no fantasy elements at all, set in Bohemia in 1403. One of those, "Where aren't there more of these?" things.

It's a modern remake of Syndicate (a proper remake, not like that shite FPS from a few years ago) from the original makers, which is good enough for me.

This is the single-player, story-driven, linear space combat spin-off from Star Citizen (which itself is not due until 2016), made by Chris Roberts's brother Erin. Erin was the guy behind several of the SP Wing Commander games and also the superb and underrated StarLancer. I'm frankly more excited about this than Star Citizen itself.

Thanks.

I liked Pirates, so I'd certainly be up for the space version.

If there is a sequel to Human Revolution, I'd definitely be up for that. I don't care about mobile gaming at all. I'll be curious to see if they try to fit another game into before the start of the original game or if they'll jump past that.

So long as its well made, I'm definitely getting Kingdom Come then. That's exactly the sort of game I've always wanted.

I never got super into Syndicate, but I've got a major thing for tactical RPGs these days.

Ah. I thought that was just the full name for Star Citizen. I didn't even know there was a single player spin off. I'm absolutely more interested in that then the base game though.

How in the world did you leave Bloodborne off this list?

Never even heard of it.

I did a Google search and see it's from the makers of Dark Souls and is set in Victorian London. Great, except that I really disliked Dark Souls. If/when the PC version arrives a year or two later, and if it gets good reviews, I might take a look at that point.

Never even heard of it.

I did a Google search and see it's from the makers of Dark Souls and is set in Victorian London. Great, except that I really disliked Dark Souls. If/when the PC version arrives a year or two later, and if it gets good reviews, I might take a look at that point.

It's being covered on every outlet I've been too, but you named American Truck Simulators...

Never even heard of it.

How did you hate Dark Souls? Or rather, why?

Honestly, the only games I'm really looking forward to this year are GTA V, Arkham Knight, and The Phantom Pain (which launches on September 1st by the way, woo!). I don't think I'll be getting Wild Hunt at release 'cause I doubt my PC would be able to handle it at higher setting, and I don't really wanna settle for anything less, so I might have to hold off on it for a few months.

While we're on the subject of Deus Ex, didn't the developers say there'd be new info about Universe at GDC? I'm really looking forward to that. Thanks to my recent playthrough of Human Revolution, I hold it in very high regard, so a sequel to that would be great. Hell, I'd even settle for more of the same.

It's being covered on every outlet I've been too, but you named American Truck Simulators...

It's Werthead. If its not PC master race then it doesn't exist. And as Bloodborne will never be on PC much like Demon's Souls he will always ignore it.

Cause different people like different things, homeslice.

Personally I can't wait for Bloodborne.

I'm aware of the phenomenon, I'm just curious for the reasons. All the game he mentioned he was looking forward to were ones I also want to get, so I was kindof surprised he didn't like Dark Souls, since I enjoy both DS1 and 2 a whole lot.

American Truck Simulator is the follow-up to the preposterously successful Euro Truck Simulator 2, which took everyone by surprise by being absolutely massive despite having what you might call limited appeal. That's what makes it at least vaguely interesting, although I probably won't pick it up myself.

I'm a PC gamer so have zero interest in console exclusives unless they come to PC. Based on what happened with Dark Souls, Bloodborne probably will come to PC at some point (next-gen console "exclusives" are an illusion for now, at least until the PS4/XB1 user base gets a hell of a lot bigger) and I'll see how it goes then.

How did you hate Dark Souls? Or rather, why?

I didn't hate it, I just disliked the art style, the combat, the total absence of context and the repetitiveness. The 'learn by dying' thing I found pretty good in games like XCOM and FTL, but in Dark Souls (and most third-person combat games which rely on it) it rubbed me up the wrong way. I also found Shadows of Mordor tedious for that reason (although the nemesis system was a good idea), although it wasn't quite as dependent on the 'die, rinse, repeat' formula.

Archived