The Weapons of Dorne

Westeros

Not sure how we missed this one, but a few days ago HBO released a video on its Youtube channel concerning the weaponry we’ll see in Dorne. Narrated by weapon master Tommy Dunne, who points out a few very specific weapons, there’s at least one somewhat spoilery piece of information contained therein (well, besides the fact that we’ll see Dorne this season):

Despite Michelle Clapton’s protest, it certainly seems the “nipples” on that leather armor of Obara Sand’s will be pretty obvious on film. Doubtless, as she said, it’s an artifact of the moulding process, but the association’s pretty clear.

As to the spoiler?

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

The weapons look good, as always. The only problem I have is Hotah's axe. It looks more like a halberd, but that's axe-ish, so I'll let the designer have some fun. I don't like that it is decorated with Dornish motifs rather than Norvoshi, but again, if the script doesn't call attention to his background and plays him as a Dornishman, that's not a big deal either. If they do bother to mention his background then I have to wonder why they didn't design the axe better. If they are going to give us readers a nod to his background, then do it right and give a nod to the axe as well.

I'm guessing it just won't come up and then they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at the whip, it looks like it would be uncomfortable to hold, but I probably shouldn't second-guess the expert.

The weapons look good, as always. The only problem I have is Hotah's axe. It looks more like a halberd, but that's axe-ish, so I'll let the designer have some fun. I don't like that it is decorated with Dornish motifs rather than Norvoshi, but again, if the script doesn't call attention to his background and plays him as a Dornishman, that's not a big deal either. If they do bother to mention his background then I have to wonder why they didn't design the axe better. If they are going to give us readers a nod to his background, then do it right and give a nod to the axe as well.

I'm guessing it just won't come up and then they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at the whip, it looks like it would be uncomfortable to hold, but I probably shouldn't second-guess the expert.

Pretty much this, the Axe looks more like a spear and not how I imagined it, eg I imagined it would be of very high quality but a bit more plainer as befits someone who is from a Warrior Priest convent and bred for service (like how the Unsullied weapons are straightfroward) as opposed to an intricately decorated item of a Royal Court. But it sounds like they'll just skip the Norvos part and have him Dornish, in which case a spear-axe and his fancy Dornish robes and weapon design can be considered to make some sense

I'm glad to see that shot of the sword breaking over Oathkeeper. I feel like the show has never shown us what a Valyrian steel sword can do, and was hoping that her fight with the Hound would show something (she does sort of beat him, I guess).

There are obvious changes, but the weapons look amazing.

With that said, I still don't understand why Tyene needs "dual" daggers.

Double stabby.

I liked the Hotah's ax, but the Sand Snakes seems little cheesy to me.

That sort of feel likes the point of the Sand Snakes. It's the same in the books.

I know that Dorne is supposed to resemble Spain or more precisely Moorish influenced Spain but the filagres and ddecorations on the axe on not so reminiscent of a "Moorish" influence but some weird Moorish-Baroque or Rococo mixture. Definately too overly decorated to be Moorish or Dornish much less the axe of a humble Norvoshi warrior

Archived