The Dragon Knows the Sphinx?

No, Dany is always awake in Meereen because Missandei hears her talking. Quaithe says no one else would see her if Dany told them to look

Quaithe never comes to Dany in dreams aside from possibly near the end of ADWD, and we never see anyone using glass candles to communicate in dreams nor are we given textual evidence of it happening with Aemon

Actually, on Balerion Dany slept and woke up, feeling someone was with her in the cabin, and in Meereen she was dozing in the garden. Maybe Dany needs to sleep for Quaithe to make contact, and the contact wakes Dany.

Marwyn tells Sam that he already knows most things, but that some small things might have escaped him so he tells Sam to tell him everything. It seems possible that Marwyn/Alleras were using the glass candles on Aemon, as the only use we have been told they have is to enter someone's dreams.

Right, but why Aemon?

Characters who are riddles and/or riddlers:

Varys--both, he talks in circles and what is his deal anyway?

Littlefinger--riddle for sure, what is he really up to? maybe riddler as well

Aegon--riddle, is he really Rhaegar's son?

Tyrion--both, "Where do whores go?" could easily be taken as a riddle, making him a riddler, and then there's the whole paternity question

Bloodraven--both, deliberately vague, probably good but maybe not, so a riddle himself as well

Mel--definitely a riddle

Jon--his parentage could be the riddle

Right, but why Aemon?

1) What reason do we have to believe that Marwyn and Alleras know how to use them properly? They might just be fiddling around to see something or anything. And they tune into a Valyrian/Targaryen. We don't know all of what they know.

2) The glass candles are Valyrian.

3) Marwyn seems to know Aemon or at least know that he was at the Wall.

Between Aemon, Dany, and Alleras we have a connection between Valyrian ancestry and the Valyrian items, glass candles. Quaithe and Marwyn might have that ancestry or can use them because of magic.

I noticed something interresting when reading about Valyrian Sphinxes. There are a few around, euron brought a few with them and there are a few in Kings landing too, those are supposedly a bit different from the sphinxes at oldtown guarding the citadel? Anyway, what i found peculiar about those sphinxes was that they had eyes made of garnet. And that reminded me a bit of valyrians and theyr eyes, for a garnet would have the same color that Valyrians typicly have for their eyes. and then that made me think a bit on the passage "to raise dragons from stone", for a sphinx might be part human and part dragon, though i figure the sphinxes that are standing before the citadel are more like part lion part bird.

Interresting though these sphinxes. Not much known is about them, where they came from but most especially for which purpose they were brought to Westeros, or to the citadel more specificly. Think about it, what does a sphinx weigh? How do you put that on a boat and sail it across the sees to a location thousands of miles away. I figure that most of the sphinxes are massive and therefore very heavy? Or are they hollow maybe to safe weight? As the Sphinxes standing before the citadel are described you get the impression that they must weigh tons. But why would you want them there, for what purpose, why would you bear the cost to get them brought there? Is this the citadel's interpretation of conspicious consumption? he, let's have us some big ass ancient sphinxes at our door, just to be cool you know?

And why are there valyrian sphinxes at the the entrance of the Red keep council chambers door? How big are those anyhow? How and why did Aegon put Valyrian Sphinxes in the red keep? The red keep was build long after the doom. Where did Argon find the Sphinxes? Did the Targaryans take Sphinxes with them before they left Valyria, if yes then why, if those things are but statue's meant for aesthetic improvement?

I'd say i consider that there is a goiod chancc that those sphinxes standing before the citadel are going to become a bit more than mere statue's.

Its good work, i used youre groundwork to develop a theory i called "Azor Ahai and the sphinx" and allow me to shamelessly self promote that thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125649-azor-ahai-and-the-sphinx/

My theory: Those oldtown sphinxes are AA's original dragon incubators. Those near oldtown are of an older genneration than those the Valyrians have as valyrians seemed to have dragon incubators more to their purpose. They show the 3 core ingedients i think you needed to create dragon, a great lion, a great fire breathing sea snake like Nagga, and a great bird from the vale. And i think the Azor Ahai legend parrallels to that, there are 3 phases in that story and i connect that to dragons being a sum of 3 species and having a head that is part bird, part fire breathing reptile, part lion, as the dragon has 3 heads.It also connects to the passage "to create dragons out of stone".

Archived