Star Wars Novels/Graphic Novels

Magnar of Skagos

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Some of the comics have.

I forgot they are releasing that Anakin/Obi-Wan comic, but I was thinking more of any PT novels. I'd guess the novels we will get will probably stick in years from the end of Ep 3 up until Ep 7. Comics may get some timeline liberties if Disney decides so imo but not the novels.

So, I'm just going to parachute into this thread and ask a question that could probably be answered by reading through the previous 16 or so pages, but I'm lazy. So...

I'm a Marvel Unlimited subscriber and they have dumped a shit ton of Star Wars books on there in the past month or two. Like, literally hundreds. I'm sorta interested in reading some of them, but I'm not sure where to start. What's generally considered the best of the bunch?

At random, I started reading a series called Empire. I read the first couple of arcs in it. They were okay. If, for some reason, that is the high water mark, I might not read much more though. 

53 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, all most all of those are non canon now. Never heard of empire, either.

I don't really care if they're canon or not. I just like a good story.

Empire (from what I gather) is sort of an anthology of stories that take place before the first movie - when the Empire ruled the galaxy. The first story arc was about Vader and the Emperor and a plan by one of the Grand Moff's to assassinate both of them. Needless to say, it didn't end well for him. The second arc was about Leia and the "diplomatic mission" she was on directly before the beginning of A New Hope. I thought that one was somewhat better than the first. I think the series started around 2002 or so?

I haven't read much of the comics, but I did enjoy Legacy as it was set 100+ years into the future and was something new. Though I've never read any of it, I want to say the Dark Times comics are supposed to be decent iirc.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, comic wise, all I can say is that Dark Empire is the worse thign to ever happen to Star Wars, ever, and that includes jar jar, and the new Vader coming out from Marvel is pure awesome. Other than that I kind of avoided most of the Dark Horse era stuff.

is that the one with the

Spoiler

giant vacuum cleaners?

On ‎11‎-‎2‎-‎2016 at 11:39 PM, MisterOJ said:

I don't really care if they're canon or not. I just like a good story.

Empire (from what I gather) is sort of an anthology of stories that take place before the first movie - when the Empire ruled the galaxy. The first story arc was about Vader and the Emperor and a plan by one of the Grand Moff's to assassinate both of them. Needless to say, it didn't end well for him. The second arc was about Leia and the "diplomatic mission" she was on directly before the beginning of A New Hope. I thought that one was somewhat better than the first. I think the series started around 2002 or so?

I've read about a fair part of Empire, including the two arcs you mentioned. There's some alright stuff in there but it's not Dark Horse's strongest.

• 4 weeks later...

So a few months ago I asked if there were novels based on the original three movies and you guys said that there was. I am a bit confused though because there are just so many SW books. I found one at my local books a million that has all three novels in one book. The authors are George Lucas, Alan Foster, and Donald Gult. Is this the novels you guys were talking about? I'm afraid that there would be several books based on the original trilogy and I'm getting the wrong one. If this is the correct version, how well does it follow the movies? Is it a good book with good writing? I saw in the OP it was said "SW books are no masterpieces". What style is the trilogy wrote in? 1st or 3rd person. And is it 1 or several POV? 

Thanks!!

17 hours ago, Yevah said:

So a few months ago I asked if there were novels based on the original three movies and you guys said that there was. I am a bit confused though because there are just so many SW books. I found one at my local books a million that has all three novels in one book. The authors are George Lucas, Alan Foster, and Donald Gult. Is this the novels you guys were talking about? I'm afraid that there would be several books based on the original trilogy and I'm getting the wrong one. If this is the correct version, how well does it follow the movies? Is it a good book with good writing? I saw in the OP it was said "SW books are no masterpieces". What style is the trilogy wrote in? 1st or 3rd person. And is it 1 or several POV? 

Thanks!!

Slow down :P
This is that version, but they're not very good. The only other version is YA. Follows the movies very closely, 3rd person, several POVs, ROTJ is the only one with decent writing. If I were you I'd give the movie novelizations a pass (except for Revenge of the Sith, because it's 100x better than the movie). Hope that helps.

Del Ray is going to be doing a big push this weekend of Claudia Grey and Bloodlines at C2E2 this weekend in Chicago.  Some panels and promotional material for it along with some other SWs books.  Will try to go to the panel to hear what she has to say about it although I suspect it will be limited in spoilers.

As I suspected...very very VERY limited in spoilers regarding Bloodlines.  As in none, basically.  There was much joking about ninjas descending from the ceiling to eliminate Grey if she accidentally revealed anything during the panel.  So all we learned specifically was...

Bloodlines takes place "some years" before TFA.

Fundamentally, Bloodlines is about Leia as a leader.  Grey seemed to imply that it isn't about what happened to Ben and how that impacted her and Han.  That information is being saved for the movies...or at least until after the next movie or two comes out.

Bloodlines publication date was pushed back to May because Grey requested that she and the people involved in editing the book be able to see TFA and then do final edits on the book.  Amazingly the publisher and the movie people thought this was a good idea.  (You know unlike the guy who wrote TFA book who did not get to see the movie or any select scenes from it.)  She specifically told the movie people she didn't want to know anything more than she needed to know to write the story.

Grey signed Bloodlines posters that were being given away for free: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/14/star-wars-bloodline-posters-show-leia-has-those-who-dont-trust-her

Oh and for Mad Max Fury Road fans...apparently after Lost Stars, Grey ran out of friends names to "borrow" for characters in Bloodlines and apparently she turned to Fury Road for inspiration so bonus points if you are able to find every reference.  She will most likely have a contest for this.

One character from Lost Stars is in Bloodlines.  This wasn't planned.  She just got to a point in the story where a certain kind of character was needed and she realized she had such a character in Lost Stars and got to use said person.  No clue was given as to which one.

There is no planned sequel for Lost Stars...i.e. she has no contract to write one or word from the publisher that they want her to write one.  She would very much like to write one, however, and urged us to let the publisher know we want one...if we do.

One Lost Stars tidbit...the two main characters were gender switched at her request...i.e. in who supports the Empire and who sides with the Rebels.  She had a lot of freedom with that story other than being told it was supposed to be like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead in Star Wars.  One of the only things she was told she couldn't do after she turned in her first draft was have a certain ship at a certain place in a certain time.

Archived