Fountain Pens

Inigima

I've used fountain pens regularly for a few years now. I have a bit of a tendency toward hipsterism in my person effects, I'm embarrassed to admit -- see my previous comments on shaving -- but this one is mostly for functional reasons. I hold a pen in a nonstandard way, which I'm told is the result of being made to use a pen before I was developmentally ready, and the pressure required for ballpoint pens makes my hand cramp up after a while. Fountain pens flow smoothly with no pressure to speak of.

Which isn't the only reason to use a fountain pen. There are others, like the fact that many of them look cool. They can be personal, keepsakes, collectibles, good gifts that see regular use, and so on.

Here's my current collection, minus the newest one that I received this weekend as a gift:

http://i.imgur.com/zFbNkM7.jpg

From top to bottom,

Pilot Varsity: Disposable! Probably the best way to see if you have any interest in fountain pens at all. The nibs are a bit broad and the ink can bleed, but they're still great to have around.

Lamy Vista: This is the demonstrator (clear-body) version of the Lamy Safari, a good all-around inexpensive pen. (The Lamy Al-Star is pretty much the same pen, but in metal instead of plastic.) I've found mine super reliable, although I don't really care for the styling or the grip.

Pilot Prera: I want to like this more than I do. I like a lot about it, but I find mine hard to start.

Pilot Cavalier: This pen rules, it is very thin so if you hate that you'll hate this.

Nemosine Fission: I love this pen, it's my favorite right now. Shockingly nice for the money, it's around $25 on Amazon. It's wide-barreled and has some heft, which I thought I wouldn't like, but the weight of it is very satisfying to me, and it writes like a dream. Hands down my top recommendation right now. Not to be confused with the Nemosine Singularity, which is nearly identical but made of plastic; I bought one along with the Fission because it was dirt cheap, and as soon as I put a cartridge in it it leaked everywhere. Don't buy that one.

Waterford Kilbarry Edge: I'm still mad about this one. It was stupidly expensive and it doesn't work very well. Do not confuse Waterford with Waterman, who are an old and well-respected pen company, as I did. That said, people on Amazon say theirs writes great, so maybe I should give it another go.

J. Herbin glass pen: Not actually a fountain pen, this is a glass dip pen. Works surprisingly well -- I hand-lettered some holiday gift stuff with it. I gave a couple of these as gifts and they looked neat enough that I picked up one of my own.

I was just given another Nemosine Fission as a gift by my girlfriend, who didn't know I already owned one, but at least she picked a superb pen. That one is a very 1950s-esque mint green.

I don't really need more pens, but I have been eyeing a few. I looked at some Sailors (too expensive, probably) and some Kawecos (too ugly, mostly), but there are some very nice looking and affordable Ohtos to be had...

I also want to wean myself off cartridges and use some of my converters. I have converters that fit every one of these pens, but have never used them. So I ordered some bottled ink (J. Herbin, Bleu Nuit) and will be giving them a go when it arrives.

Any of you use fountain pens? Got some you love?

I have a bunch of fountain pens. I use them rarely, because as much as I would love to be a hipster, I am too much of a redneck, and I'm also that person who super glues her fingers to pretty much everything, which is why I don't use super glue. I would love to be fountain pen person, though, so I bought a few that I almost never use.

My favorite is a Namiki - it's very smooth, and looks really cool, and doesn't leak ink anywhere. Anytime I try to fill any of my fountain pens I get ink everywhere, though, (see paragraph above) so I bought cartridges, which is way neater. I also have a Waterman that does a good job, and some Levenger fountain pens that are mediocre. I bought some knockoff Watermans in China that are also nice.

After I make my first million, I'll be taking applications for my personal assistant, and you are all welcome to apply. Expertise with super glue and fountain pens, and a love of old-time country music is a must. Until then, I'll be writing with my papermate ink joys. :/

I have always used a pen for school purposes, I find it much easier to write with quickly during lessons (because it does not need that much pressure) and it looks prettier than a ball-point pen to me.

I currently use a parker - like this one, only with white outer parts, and I am quite happy with it, the last one lasted quite long and never leaked.

I used to have some cheap ones before for school. I think I still have one or two back home, but I rarely use them. I used to use one with colourful cartridges and the second one somewhat superstitiously only for writing exams, but they both start leaking randomly so I started to avoid them.

Way back I asked for a fountain pen when I graduated from college. I got a very nice Parker with a matching mechanical pencil. I used to use it for everything but once issues with signatures and duplication became am issue I stopped using it for anything fiancial / legal related and now only use it when writing letters.

Way back I asked for a fountain pen when I graduated from college. I got a very nice Parker with a matching mechanical pencil. I used to use it for everything but once issues with signatures and duplication became am issue I stopped using it for anything fiancial / legal related and now only use it when writing letters.

You have to be careful about ink when doing anything that "matters" -- contracts, checks, that kind of thing. Most common inks are water-based and can be washed off easily. Waterproof inks are available, though -- Noodler's has a "Bulletproof" line that addresses that concern, for example. To be honest, though, I still use a ballpoint for checks.

I almost mentioned that in my first post, but thought "Nah, that won't affect people here." :lol:

I have a Waterman fountain pen that's identical to this. My parents got it for me when I turned 18 because I like writing. I've been looking through calligraphy courses online, thinking of taking it up at some point.

I also have a quill/fountain pen that my parents got me in Stratford-upon-Avon at the Shakespeare gift shop. Came with a pot of ink, and it's cool as fuck. Shame I can't write neatly for shit.

How do you like it? I've always wondered how Watermans were.

I really like fountain pens but don't really get to use them that much for practical reasons. The vast majority of my handwriting is done on the go in a small portable notebook and disposable ballpoints just make a lot more sense for this.

It's weird how certain appreciations seem to correlate together. I've noticed a lot of overlap in people who are into fountain pens, classic shaving (which I'm also a fan of btw) and mechanical watches, for example.

I really like fountain pens but don't really get to use them that much for practical reasons. The vast majority of my handwriting is done on the go in a small portable notebook and disposable ballpoints are just make a lot more sense for this.

It's weird how certain appreciations seem to correlate together. I've noticed a lot of overlap in people who are into fountain pens, classic shaving (which I'm also a fan of btw) and mechanical watches, for example.

Ha! I love mechanical watches.

I am not into classic shaving, though, as I am actually a girl. :)

I write all my first drafts with a Parker fountain pen (black ink: blue fades too quickly): I'm another who holds a pen too tightly to write a million words with biro. Cartridges for utility - ink bottles are impractical to keep in one's bag for when one runs out of ink on the Tube.

After using a cheapie Vector for many decades I recently switched up to an Urban, and am liking it. It's heavy, but not too heavy to be nimble, and its casing isn't likely to crack soon.

I have a beautiful Visconti that is basically a work of art that my dad got me when I graduated law school. I also have a Mont Blanc. I love the way a fountain pen writes, but find them impractical for, e.g., taking notes at work, basically because I leave pens everywhere (I basically shed them as I walk around). For every day, I have found that the uniball vision elite pen writes very smoothly and the point is fine enough to make me very happy.

I have a custom made fountain pen (gift from my wife), which replaced my old Waterman. Because fountain pens flow so easily, it is IMO an ideal pen for writing long exams that required long, analytical answers and I used it very intensively for my CPA and my tax advisor exams.

My fountain pen is now used mainly for underwriting business correspondence, invoices etc. and for annotating legal stuff, short notices etc. at my desk. In my meeting rooms, I use regular ball pens, that I will also offer to clients for taking notes.

Now, I really like my pen, but! I would love to own a Mont Blanc. I tested one years ago and it was beautiful to handle. Too expensive at the time and now I can't really reconcile the expenditure with my accountant's Soul, given that I have a great pen.

Funny that these things go hand in hand: I also own a Thiers Issard shaving knive, a Mühle razor and I adore mechanical watches (I'd love to get a Nomos Tangente).

Linda has one of these. It's nice, and I admit I'm considering getting one for myself. Like you, Ini, I get cramps from prolonged use of ball-point pens, and I've always had poor handwriting in part because of that. Something that requires less pressure sounds like just the thing to try and address that.

Jay gave me a gorgeous Parker for Christmas a few years ago and it works best on finer paper. I have a couple Lamys (fine and extra fine) that I use as often as I have an excuse to actually write!

Great thread, Ini. I'm a bit of a pen fetishist. ;)

Archived