October Reading Thread

pat5150

Hi guys!

I've just finished reading Neil Gaiman's FRAGILE THINGS and was pleasantly surprised by this short story collection.

A very good book and a wonderful reading experience! For the full review, check out the blog!

Cheers,

Patrick

I'm in awe of Martin's Dreamsongs right now. It will easily make my top ten books of all time before I finish.

Also reading, The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson. Interesting book, but overrated by ultra pretentious people.

And last but not least, Mildred Pierce by James Cain.

Artanaro

I've finished Song of Kali and thought it was good. The Calcuta tourism department would be really pissed if they read this. Some great scenes(especially the Kali ritual initiation sequence!) but be ready for a depressing read. Simmons pulls no punches which is the way I like my horror.

Now reading She Wakes by Ketchum. So far lots of sex but Ketchum usually turns the wheels and goes ballistic in the second half of his novels. I love that this is a supernatural horror story set in Greece and steeped in Greece's mythology.

To Finish Reading:

Harry Mulisch, The Discovery of Heaven

Boccaccio, The Decameron (re-read)

Roberto Bolaño, Los detectives salvajes (re-read)

To Read for the First Time:

José Saramgo, Ensayo sobre la lucídez (Seeing in English)

Edmundo Paz Soldán, Sueños digitales (Digital Dreams)

Alberto Fuguet, Las películas de mi vida (The Movies of My Life)

And probably some more, as I'll have plenty more time for reading this month due to the way work is structured now, especially on the weekends.

I just finished the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell and loved it. Great series. Highly recommended.

For this month, I am reading Preacher graphic novels by Garth Ennis right now. I am a pretty fast reader so I should finish this pretty soon. Not the hugest comic fan but this stuff kicks-ass.

After that I will either read T.H. White's The Once and Future King again or give Feist's Honored Enemy a shot. I still want to read The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams as well but it looks like that will have to wait.

Bunch of stuff for school right now. A fair amount of it is pretty interesting. I'm especially enjoying "High Points in Anthropolgy", a collection of primary sources from important anthropological theorists, as well as "Lincoln at Cooper Union", about his speech in New York that turned him into a national figure. I'm going to read something fun and light when I have October break in a few weeks. Possibly some Terry Pratchett.

Finished

The Left Hand Of Darkness - Ursula K. LeGuin

Very interesting book and after reading it obvious why it won the Hugo & Nebula awards

Midnight Mass - F. Paul Wilson

Nice horror romp

A Game Of Thrones

It'd been a while. Nice to revisit Westeros

To Read

Reread A Crown Of Kings

Reread A Storm Of Swords

Reread A Feast For Crows

But I will probably only read ACoK's this month. On the side I'll probably do another reread, The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon.

Last month I read Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. I was a little worried about continueing this series since I wasn't overly impressed with GotM. However, people said the series got better and they were right. I'm glad I stuck with it.

I've also been reading through GRRM: A RResptrospective. I managed to get an unsigned copy for about $80 and have read about half the stories so far.

DAMN YOU ALL! I"m stuck on a new series because of this board. :D:D:D

I started the Darkness that Comes Before the other night and now I"m 100 pages in, stupid complicated names be damned. Good writing and an intriguing political landscape so far. I'm keep seeing Tad Williams and Dan Simmons, but that may just be with names like the 'inrithi' and 'shriah' being like sithi and shrike. Frank Herbert's Dune seems like a huge influence as well.

heh, maybe it's good to think of mehhetsimehrimehahn (however the fuck you spell it, I'll never be able to spell any of these nonsense names) the shriah as the Shrike, he seems to be an interesting possible 'bad dude'.

The writing is so damned good, I just keep wincing at all the umlauts and complicated vowel consonent combinations and horribly long names. The glossory was gibberish when I attempted to start the book, made almost no sense after reading the prologue and makes about 40% sense after reading the first four chapters. Otherwise it just seems like a succession of incomprehensible words and nonsense names, with the only semi-sensible name being Ear-wa. Ear. Wa. Ear.

sigh....

heh, maybe it's good to think of mehhetsimehrimehahn (however the fuck you spell it, I'll never be able to spell any of these nonsense names) the shriah as the Shrike, he seems to be an interesting possible 'bad dude'.

Maithanet.

I just keep wincing at all the umlauts and complicated vowel consonent combinations and horribly long names.

Actually, there are no umlauts. (At least I can't remember any.) What you are seeing are diaereses. And they make perfect sense and are a great pronunciation help. If English isn't your first language, you can actually ignore them—I am very grateful that the author put them in there. For example, you got Eärwa wrong. It's not Ear. Wa. That's what the two dots tell you. (Or me, at least!)

Actually, I wonder if the German translation (is there one?) will just remove all the funny dots. In German, Eärwa should be spelt Earwa. (And Cnaiür absolutely should become Cnaiur.)

After all those "Recommend books for kids!" threads I felt the need to reread The Dark Is Rising sequence, it's still just as good as it ever was. Now reading Temeraire and enjoying it immensely.

Jerome K. Jerome, Three men in a boat. - re-read. I find it hilarious.

Kurt Vonnegut - Galapagos, Cat's Cradle (even if the name might be quite unknown, I'll be happy to hear someone at least tried to get into it. It's one of the most spectacular writers in XX. And I just love everything Tralfamadore.

Actually, I wonder if the German translation (is there one?) will just remove all the funny dots. In German, Eärwa should be spelt Earwa. (And Cnaiür absolutely should become Cnaiur.)

In Polish translation they left the dots as they are which I think is correct decision, even if they don't do anything for pronunciation. You know for the sake of consistency ;) , because otherwise if Moënghus becomes Moenghus, by the same token Anasurimbor Moenghus should become Moenghus Anasurimbor and I think it would be wrong. Of course, in German when they will be read as umlauts question is more difficult. What they did in German translation of Silmarillion?

Jerome K. Jerome, Three men in a boat. - re-read. I find it hilarious.

Kurt Vonnegut - Galapagos, Cat's Cradle (even if the name might be quite unknown, I'll be happy to hear someone at least tried to get into it. It's one of the most spectacular writers in XX. And I just love everything Tralfamadore.

Cat's Cradle is a fantastic book, funny, nasty and pointed. Wasn't so impressed with Galapagos, though I liked the technique of marking soon-to-be-dead characters with an asterisk...

Archived