The Last Man on Earth (spoiler thread)

Ser Scot A Ellison

I was disappointed in Carol. She forced Phil into marrying her because she didn't want her children to be bastards, then sees no problem with all of Melissa's kids being born out of wedlock, and becoming second class citizens in the new world. The obvious solution was to have Phil marry Melissa as well , but then they would have to share him equally.

Todd showing up already definitely kills the whole premise of the last man, unless it turns out all of three them, Carol, Melissa and Todd, turn out to be hallucinations, products of Phil going crazy from loneliness.

I like the show.

I was excited about it ever since i heard a show with that premise is coming soon.

The mostly goofy, easy going tone in a realistically grim situation bodes well with me. I feel good and every episode has one or two moments that crack me up.

I very much agree that all the configurations (solo, duo, trio) should have been more explored before bringing a fourth person.

But the premise of the show allows for a great deal of untapped stuff so i hope it does not get cancelled soon. It shouldnt.

But if it does, hopefully not enough people will know about it so i can copy that outdoor bed, fireworks and voice-record routine.

Also, they should bring some more animals into action.

Not so much for the sake of realism as for more comical possibilities.

Should they add a '?' at the end of the show's title?

The Last Man on Earth?

Because they abandoned the premise quickly! although I do like the show, I think they could have stretched out the series so that the first series ends with Todd showing up.

But I'll keep tuning in.

I think everyone suggesting a more drawn out dramatic arc are forgetting it's not a drama, nor a mystery. I assume they started conceiving the story in terms of a Book of Job like idea of torturing a character for laughs, except Phil is starting from a point of being a fairly worthless example of a modern man and has to grow through his suffering, a lot of it self-imposed by his choices as a selfish ass. Can he grow to become "a righteous man"?

I've caught up and I'm not sure how much longer I can continue. Maybe it's just not my kind of humor, but I find Phil to be super annoying.

I like January Jones and the other gal. But man, Phil is too much of a duck*.

*dick

I've caught up and I'm not sure how much longer I can continue. Maybe it's just not my kind of humor, but I find Phil to be super annoying.

I like January Jones and the other gal. But man, Phil is too much of a duck*.

*dick

I like the new guy as well. Phil is the only one I don't like.

Maybe, but in that case he's imagining characters with a lot more depth than he has.

And? It's 4 episodes in.

Think of him as apacalypse Michael Scott. Or David Brent probably more accurate.

Honest to God I gave this my best shot. Its really two stories the story they should have spent more time on is

1. Just how utterly random being the “last man on earth” would be. None of these people are the best and brightest its just normal average workaday people trying to not go crazy. So in that respect for the 10 seconds every episode we do have to pause and ask ourselves a couple interesting questions like would any of us do any better then Phil? How physiologically capable is anyone to survive the end of the world?
  2. Most of the good things in A get lost in B with the main problem that everything gets taken to such extremes

Phil can’t be some poor guy who has been on his own for 7 years who hasn’t had to worry about his appearance he has to so slovenly that when the toilet breaks in his house he has to shit in a swimming pool.

Carol can’t just be a neatfreak or have a different personality from Phil that is established in a way that makes sense she has to be an utter control freak worrying about following traffic rules at the end of the world and bitching about Phill’s “theft” of various items at every opportunity. She can’t just think differently from the guy she has to be an utter shew.

The other two people simply haven’t been around long enough for me to have solid options about although I tell you the only time this show got me to chuckle was the way they were building up Todd to be some sort of post apocalypse badass but he got of the guy and he might as well have been wearing a sign that said “random dude NPC”

I am of the opinion that all of the various characters other then Phil are simply manifestations of his own mind so that he doesn’t go utterly fuck nuts. It makes no sense that after years and years along the four last people on earth decide to get their asses to Tucson Arizona of all places.

Well Phil is from Tucson and goes back to his old home after driving though all over North America and leaving messages everywhere he goes that he's "Alive in Tucson".

So everybody else goes to Tucson because they see the signs Phil left.

They have made Phil fairly unappealing. The best moments he's had on the show are building Carol's irrigation system and opening up to Melissa. Those are few and far between.

That said Phil's pretty hand with electronics. The fireworks display wasn't easy to set up. He could be fixing things.

Honest to God I gave this my best shot. Its really two stories the story they should have spent more time on is

• Just how utterly random being the last man on earth would be. None of these people are the best and brightest its just normal average workaday people trying to not go crazy. So in that respect for the 10 seconds every episode we do have to pause and ask ourselves a couple interesting questions like would any of us do any better then Phil? How physiologically capable is anyone to survive the end of the world?
  • Most of the good things in A get lost in B with the main problem that everything gets taken to such extremes
Phil cant be some poor guy who has been on his own for 7 years who hasnt had to worry about his appearance he has to so slovenly that when the toilet breaks in his house he has to shit in a swimming pool.

Carol cant just be a neatfreak or have a different personality from Phil that is established in a way that makes sense she has to be an utter control freak worrying about following traffic rules at the end of the world and bitching about Phills theft of various items at every opportunity. She cant just think differently from the guy she has to be an utter shew.

The other two people simply havent been around long enough for me to have solid options about although I tell you the only time this show got me to chuckle was the way they were building up Todd to be some sort of post apocalypse badass but he got of the guy and he might as well have been wearing a sign that said random dude NPC

I am of the opinion that all of the various characters other then Phil are simply manifestations of his own mind so that he doesnt go utterly fuck nuts. It makes no sense that after years and years along the four last people on earth decide to get their asses to Tucson Arizona of all places.

Good post. If they could just pull back a little on Phil's douchiness it would go a long way to getting me to enjoy the show more. Not that I should be catered personally.

And it's his fault that he didn't get to have sex with January Jones. So get off Todd's case.

I'm going to give it one more eepisode. If Phil remains a douche, I'm done with it.

By the way, for a comedy, the laughs are few and far between.

Good post. If they could just pull back a little on Phil's douchiness it would go a long way to getting me to enjoy the show more. Not that I should be catered personally.

And it's his fault that he didn't get to have sex with January Jones. So get off Todd's case.

I'm going to give it one more eepisode. If Phil remains a douche, I'm done with it.

By the way, for a comedy, the laughs are few and far between.

IMO, there were more laughs in the first 2 episodes...subtle laughs. The type of laugh that comes back on you...like when he was driving the RV saying "Hello" on the PA system...and he was inside the mall. At the time, it created a small hrmphh laugh...but thinking back on it...I laugh more now than I did at the time. Or all the things he collected throughout the US while driving around.

I'm with you...I'm going to keep recording it and if the next episode doesn't get better...then I'm done. Besides, they abandoned the entire premise of the show "The Last Man on Earth".

Unless the interactions with people are all hallucinations because he really did crash his truck into the rocks...and they reboot the series by him still being alone...then maybe i'll give it a second chance.

Archived