Tyrion will fight and win his last trial by combat

Mythrel

The main thing that makes me think this is when Tyrion and Penny are in the camp and he takes a special interest in the men using the the slings. He notes the amazing precision and power of the Weapon. The obvious analogy is David and Goliath. If Tyrion Learns how to use the sling and returns to Westeros there may be a circumstance where he is put on his third and final trial.

For sure, this is something that I hope happens maybe more then I think it will. A final battle where Tyrion stands for himself would make a nice wrap up to a cool trope.

Facing Robert Strong or Jamie would be the coolest.

I think the David and Goliath thing is the biggest hint. I was surprised at how literal Martin was in aDwD with some of his influences. When Barristan used a round table so people could sit as equals, it's exactly the same concept as the knights of the round table. There are other circumstances of direct borrowing which makes me believe this more.

Possibly. There are several passages talking about Tyrions upper body strength being pretty good.

In the other trials we have seen the combatants have at least some choice in kit. Bronn didn't want a shield, Little Finger didn't want armor, etc.

I'd always figured a Molotov cocktail or something similar would be Tyrion's weapon of choice, but slings make good sense too. Thing is, though, that it would require him to train with the weapon for a while, because in a duel he'd only be able to get off one or two shots before his foe would be upon him. I've never tried a sling, but I can imagine getting the necessary accuracy would require a lot of training.

Why would Tyrion go on trial again? Would it be a re-trial or totally new charges?

Shooting the hand of the king in the bowels its a cause i think westeros prossecutor coukd go for.

I know he already has a death penalty for kingslaying, but maybe he can face a second trial for a second crime

Well if you can choose Fire as your champion, why not a sling shot. :dunno:

Just kidding, imo a ranged weapon wouldn't be alowed in a fight just the risk of the accused starting an assault and having a crossbow would be kinda unfair.(Okay it would be a hit or die thing i guess :drunk: )

The only way i could imagine this would be that the Westerosi-People don't really know the power of a sling shot and because they underestimate him and let him choose it.

But in the end Tyrion getting back to Westeros, getting caught, accused and then gets another Trial is a lot of story to go for and having 3 trials and winning them all, i don't know...

...seems a bit to lucky for someone in George's Univers, except he dies afterwards by drinking to much in his Victory-party.

Historically a trial-by-combat, more commonly known as a judicial duel, would be fought by knights wearing the best armour available to them. In the Reach there seems to be rules stating that non-knights cannot fight in a tourney or a trial by combat, which doesn't apply elsewhere.

However I think the spirit of a trial-by-combat is that it should be a knightly honourable duel between two equally equipped opponents, I very much doubt ranged weapons would be allowed.

In a 1 v 1 duel ranged weapons would actually be somewhat useful as a distraction, even if both are wearing plate, but generally IRL both sides were forced to use standardised weapons, which didn't give them much to throw at their opponents. Interestingly the idea of a distraction was so important to 1 v 1 combat that they come up with some very unusual techniques namely this one, which I still struggle to believe was ever invented:

If you want to end quickly with him, take your spear and sword together on your arm and unscrew the pommel of your sword and throw it vigorously at him and run in with him after the throw, and use the sword or the spear – whatever is more suitable for you.

Goes to show that in deadly combat the idea of honour is drastically overrated, still I doubt any Westerosi trial by combat would allow Tyrion to use a sling or a crossbow.

Didn't the sling nearly take the slave's leg clean off? If I recall correctly it was left dangling by a few tendons. I'd wager that even if plate could protect you from losing a limb from a sling shot, that limb would still be broken and useless for the rest of the fight.

I can't see a scenario where Tyrion gets tried for anything. Sorry, just can't. By the time he makes it back there will have been a regime change and various upsets. It's not even unlikely that he'll be part of Danaerys's retinue, and she'd quash any charges.

Didn't the sling nearly take the slave's leg clean off? If I recall correctly it was left dangling by a few tendons. I'd wager that even if plate could protect you from losing a limb from a sling shot, that limb would still be broken and useless for the rest of the fight.

No, there's far more energy in a mace blow, which doesn't just break limbs of someone wearing plate armour.

Here's my other thought about this. Perhaps it's not Tyrion thats on trial... Imagine if Dany goes back to westeros with Dany. When Dany arrives she puts the King slayer to death for Murdering the Mad King. Jaime choses trial by combat to die a knight. Dany obliges since he has no hand. She uses Barristan, belwas, jaggo, or daario as her Champion. Any these men would annihilate Jaime.

In an awesome twist of fate, and great Irony Tyrion says he will be Jaimes Champion. Jaime lets him because he knows he killed Tywin and is still upset by that. Tyrion presents his weapon---sling. Even though it's a ranged weapon, the lack of experience and knowledge of it in Westeros leads the ignorant judges to allow it's use.

The sort of ego we see in male fighter in this general world would dictate they fight with no armor, lest they be called scared of a dwarf.

Tyrions nails the guy in the brain box.

In this moment the two brothers complete an arch of the conversion of the opposites.

Archived