RIP Terry Pratchett

Werthead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

The author died at home "with his cat sleeping on his bed, surrounded by his family," Mr Finlay said.

Looks like he kept his dignity; a sad day, and at his best he was inventive and hilarious. Been reading his stuff since my teens.

ETA: Have now seen the thread on the literature board; probably still deserves one in here as well.

This is really getting to me. There was a period of my life in my teens where every other book I read was a Discworld novel and they were so influential when it comes to my love of reading in general and fantasy in particular.

Even when it comes to drawing he was a huge influence. I loved drawing his characters and was especially inspired by Paul Kidby's art like this one and this one.

So happy I got to meet him once. He was such a gentleman.

This has affected me more than Hunter S. Thompson's death did. I used to buy a Discworld book before every transcontinental flight (which was four times a year when I was in college, and twice a year after). Has any author brought me more pure enjoyment than Terry Pratchett? I don't think so.

He was the best. A very bright light has gone out. I will miss his work, as well as the comforting thought that someone as brilliant and funny as that is out there.

Ah shit, so sad to read this... :(

I've been reading Terry Pratchett's books for over half my life now, he was easily one of my favorite authors. I can count on a single hand the books that drive me to tears reading them, and one of them was one of his.

Rest in peace, Sir.

So, what was the first Pratchett book you read? What was your favorite?

My first book was "Night Watch"...and it remains my favorite (although "Small Gods" is a close second).

My first book was "Night Watch"...and it remains my favorite (although "Small Gods" is a close second).

I first found him because I was searching for Neil Gaiman at the library, probably 1991 or so, and came across "Good Omens." After that made me laugh pretty much nonstop, I went back to the library and got "Sourcery." Then I just started working my way down the catalog. "Small Gods" is definitely my favorite, because I am a sucker for deity humor. But I do love the Night's Watch books. I also loved his first YA book, "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents."

I actually read 'The Colour Of Magic' in hardback from my local library... the pre-Paul Kidby cover edition, so it must have been right when it came out. I just remember laughing so hard at several points that I had to put the book down.

It's a sentimental favourite for that memory, but it was really barely hinting at the body of work that was to come.

I love Reaper Man, Men At Arms, The Amazing Maurice, The Wee Free Men, Witches Abroad, Wyrd Sisters, and of course Good Omens. Somewhere, I even have a copy of the Times Higher Educational Supplement (of all things) with a Pratchett short story in it. The man had broad appeal.

(And for those who're curious, here it is.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/features/a-collegiate-casting-out-of-devilish-devices/195991.article)

I first found him because I was searching for Neil Gaiman at the library, probably 1991 or so, and came across "Good Omens." After that made me laugh pretty much nonstop, I went back to the library and got "Sourcery." Then I just started working my way down the catalog. "Small Gods" is definitely my favorite, because I am a sucker for deity humor. But I do love the Night's Watch books. I also loved his first YA book, "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents."

I pretty much followed the same path as you, I read the excellent "Good Omens" and then stumbled into his Disc World Books.

Sometimes, you never really understand how someone touched your life until they are gone. That always sounds trite, but, its a weird and darker place that there isn't going to be another Disc World book.

I discovered Pratchett when I was 12. First author I ever read in English.

He's written so many great books that I find it impossible to choose. Good Omens, Small Gods, Lords & Ladies and Night Watch are definitely up there.

RIP.

I wish I could say I was a lifelong fan who was profoundly impacted by his writing, but the fact is I only started reading him maybe a year and a half ago. I finished all the Discworld books within a few months. Though I was a recent convert, his writing spoke to me. He wrote the books I wish I did.

I wish I had something profound to say, but all I can think of is: His works meant a lot to me, and I will miss him.

I just posted in a thread with the same title in Entertainment. I should have noticed that it was in the wrong sub forum.

RIP Pterri. A great pity and a great loss. I read more of his books than any other author. A humorist, humanist and teacher.

Small Gods was my first of his books, and still one of my favorites, although I think Night Watch remains my top pick. When I discarded most of my hard copy books after moving to a Kindle, I stored away my full collection of Pratchett for my son to start reading in a couple more years. I'm excited to share them with him and see them all again through his eyes.

Archived