Comics XI: Modok's 11

Sci-2

Of course Marvel revealed a major character death one month before it happens and while that character is appearing in another book, because that's just what Marvel does:  Spoiler, obviously.                                                             

Of course Marvel revealed a major character death one month before it happens and while that character is appearing in another book, because that's just what Marvel does:  Spoiler, obviously.                                                             

I bet Cyclops is ultimately to blame for that.

So does this mean Namorita has to assume the role now?

Is this all leading up to an "icons/classic/ouroborus" reboot in a year's time when all the charcters revert back to the original heroes? They can effectively double the number of books by giving the replacements solo books.

Squadron supreme may be interesting as i guess/hope it will be insulated from crossovers

Read a spoiler that confirms at least part of the 4chan alleged leaks

Hidden Content

It wouldn't be the first or last time the character has died.

Picked up Tokyo Ghost #3

I think my eyes may have been deceiving me but it appeared that batman europa was finally on the shelf??? Surely a sign of the apocalypse.

It wouldn't be the first or last time the character has died.

Picked up Tokyo Ghost #3

I think my eyes may have been deceiving me but it appeared that batman europa was finally on the shelf??? Surely a sign of the apocalypse.

How is Tokyo Ghost? Not sure how this one slipped under my radar, Remender/Murphy is reason enough to check it out honestly, but I literally have heard nothing about it. 

How is Tokyo Ghost? Not sure how this one slipped under my radar, Remender/Murphy is reason enough to check it out honestly, but I literally have heard nothing about it. 

I still have to read issue 3 but I've enjoyed it so far. It's probably closest to "low" in terms of his creator-owned work. The first issue was very frenetic (which I think is partly due to Murphy's style) but set things up nicely. Then there was a major shift when they changed location and it feels more like a feudal Japan story. I think I preferred the initial setting so it depends how the book evolves.

I did like the idea of people become addicted to the internet heart and soul as it's really not that big a leap (especially for board members!)

UPDATE: I've read issue 3. It's a little bit slow, to the point I'd almost suggest others to wait for the trade. Still looks gorgeous although there's something not quite right but i think that's intentional

Japan doesn't seem "real". The shogun/woman glows and all the animals are like Disney pets. This was acknowledged by Led. Then there was the really weird scene of Led throwing up and there being nuts and bolts in it. Was it the artist having fun? I'm not so sure. My theory is that they are in some kind of matrix without realising it. If not they need to do some explaining pretty soon.

Question, how old is Silk (Cindy Moon) supposed to be? Her story with being locked up in a bunker and such can get confusing at times.

Great book, though.

Curse Marvel time. It did suggest she'd been there when the whole "other" thing went down a 14 years ago which could be anything between a year and 5 in comic time (we have to discount those "6 month later" things). And she wasn't supposed to be a teen when she was imprisoned. Best guess is that she's the same age as Peter as she was a student when she was bitten.

Curse Marvel time. It did suggest she'd been there when the whole "other" thing went down a 14 years ago which could be anything between a year and 5 in comic time (we have to discount those "6 month later" things). And she wasn't supposed to be a teen when she was imprisoned. Best guess is that she's the same age as Peter as she was a student when she was bitten.

She claims she was there for 10 years, but other sources say 7. She was a teen before she entered that place. My fucking brain!

So I picked up DK III. Not a compelling start, I have to say. I thought the most interesting character was the daughter of Supes and Wonder Woman. In what appears to be the biggest subplot, she recruits The Atom to try and help her unshrink the city of Kandor. Outside of that, it was a bit of a snoozefest.

So I picked up DK III. Not a compelling start, I have to say. I thought the most interesting character was the daughter of Supes and Wonder Woman. In what appears to be the biggest subplot, she recruits The Atom to try and help her unshrink the city of Kandor. Outside of that, it was a bit of a snoozefest.

I think Miller's comments about doing a part  have effectively dumped this in a similar category as "before Watchmen". It's by a completely different creative team and while it may benefit from not being by Miller (if DKII was anything to go by) it's not really DKR without his art and general insanity.

If it had been Azzarello and Risso working on it I'd have given it a chance as they still managed one of the strongest Bat stories of recent years with their Flashpoint story. But Azzarello with other artists on Batman don't work so well. Weird how a writer writing to suit his artist can transform his work from mediocre to excellent.

^^^Yeah, it's kind of an odd mish-mosh of styles. Kubert's doing the pencils, but it seems like he's adopting many Milleresque trademarks. Particularly the layouts. You know, as crazy as DKII was, I went back and read it again recently and enjoyed much more than I did the first time around. As off the rails as I think Miller has become, I'd just as soon have him at the helm. This feels like some sort of strange compromise where neither side is terribly happy with that result.

^^^Yeah, it's kind of an odd mish-mosh of styles. Kubert's doing the pencils, but it seems like he's adopting many Milleresque trademarks. Particularly the layouts. You know, as crazy as DKII was, I went back and read it again recently and enjoyed much more than I did the first time around. As off the rails as I think Miller has become, I'd just as soon have him at the helm. This feels like some sort of strange compromise where neither side is terribly happy with that result.

Kubert is doing a decent job of changing his own distinct style to Millers. I'll give him that.

I probably need to do a DKII reread - it's been a long time since it originally came out. I think I've read DKR since and tbh the book was always a bit crazy so I'd cut Miller some slack with another and I think most of us would like to see his pencils cut loose on BAtman one more time. And I love his "god damn liberal hating".

I'm surprised there's never been a Miller/Millar collaboration.

Oh god, why did you have to say that. Now I'm picturing it and it is not pretty. :P

It would be gloriously terrible. Miller would try and do Millar's writing times ten and it would be so extreme we'd be wishing there was a way Liefeld could be involved in some way :)

Batman: Europa #1

The art in this book was nothing short of breathtaking. It's one of those books where you do a second pass just for the art alone, ignoring all the dialogue. The story is super cliche though, and has been done so many god damn times. Hey guys, Batman and Joker are infected with a virus and have to work together in order to survive. Yawn. This is a 4-part miniseries so I'll definitely collect all the issues for the art alone, it's not much of a commitment. I don't exactly expect much from the story though, other than it should be fun to see Joker and Batman playing off one another. There's definitely some interesting stuff to explore. It's been done before, but it's always left a lot to be desired. Would like to see them push the boundaries a little bit. Maybe a scene where Batman is so desperate for answers that he allows Joker to torture someone. 

Omega Men #6

I keep saying it every time a new issue comes out- this is the best book at DC right now. The artwork is gorgeous, and the story is so politically complex and interesting that it reminds me of an ASOIAF story if it were set in outer space. I've been a big time supporter of this book since the first issue, and it has rewarded me every single month afterwards. 

We Are Robin #6

This gets better with every issue. The action is fantastic and frenetic and the concept continues to be really interesting. All of the Robins play off of each other really well and they all bring a different and unique perspective to the character. Their upcoming battle with the Court of Owls should be super interesting. I can not wait for the Robin War story arc. 

Huck #1

Light-hearted and fun first issue with great work from Albequerque. Great colors and a really interesting concept where instead of one person trying to hide their identity from the outside world, an entire small town all knows Huck's ability and helps protect that secret. 

Ringside #1

I grew up a huge wrestling fan, and was really excited when I heard this series was coming to Image. It was billed as a "behind-the-scenes look" at the world of professional wrestling. It wasn't that at all. I was looking so forward to more "in-ring" action and colorful wrestling characters and scenes of people discussing story ideas and "spots" to use during their matches, and which direction they wanted their character to take on camera.

None of that happened, and instead it became this weird crime drama instead. I really wanted this to be a book about the world of wrestling. Won't be picking up issue 2.

Archived