Comics XI: Modok's 11

Sci-2

Batman: Europa #1

The art in this book was nothing short of breathtaking. It's one of those books where you do a second pass just for the art alone, ignoring all the dialogue. The story is super cliche though, and has been done so many god damn times. Hey guys, Batman and Joker are infected with a virus and have to work together in order to survive. Yawn. This is a 4-part miniseries so I'll definitely collect all the issues for the art alone, it's not much of a commitment. I don't exactly expect much from the story though, other than it should be fun to see Joker and Batman playing off one another. There's definitely some interesting stuff to explore. It's been done before, but it's always left a lot to be desired. Would like to see them push the boundaries a little bit. Maybe a scene where Batman is so desperate for answers that he allows Joker to torture someone.

It took a decade for issue one to come out so unless the other 3 issues are done, I wouldn't be too hasty on claiming levels of comittment :P

RE: Ringside. There must be a manga out there that does the kind of comic you were hoping for? Maybe worth a look. You'd think a comic that is almost entirely about a fight in the ring would exist given the most successful "event" comics are "one hero beats up another one"

I see attacking a group of people for sterilising and killing your species now wins you "moste hated man in the world" in the marvel universe

Hell, if the 4chan rumors are true (and we know they're at least partially right) he wasn't even behind the attacks in the first place (or at least the attacks that started the conflict).

Plenty of comics this week, the good were

• Vision #2 (best book at Marvel right now, very unique blend of horror, sci-fi, superheroing and family drama);
  • Sheriff of Baghdad #1 (interesting concept and good ideas, although nothing much happens yet);
  • Plutona #3 (great issue, with a very unique and kind of crazy twist);
  • Paper Girls #3 (goes a little further on what's going on, although not entirely. Good stuff, I feel like I know the main characters already);

The not so good include:

• East of West #22 (A silent issue can be a very good thing, but this was not the case- the whole thing could have been told in less than half the pages count);
  • All New X-men #1 (A.K.A Tyke goes through EXACTLY the same character arc as he did in the first time);
  • ANAD Avengers #2 (Generic villain with generic motivations that doesn't really feel like a major threat. Also, I'm not reading Ms. Marvel, but I can't imagine she's this annoying and whining in her own book as she has been in these two issues);

so the best marvel comic this week is the one that is least like a marvel comic? :P

I'm finding Paper Girls hard to pin down so far. I'll probably see it to the end of the arc but I'm thinking it's going to be more of a trade read for me whereas Saga always feels like the single issues are worth it.

I've been reading through the ixth generation comics by top cow (research for a competition they're running). Stepjan Stepjic is a real talent - especially when he gets to draw dragons. I'm surprised the big two haven't tried to poach him yet either. The story is curious as it's hard to pin down what genre it is exactly given it merges SF dystopia with dragons and the witchblade, Darkness etc. A very different take on the core Top Cow books, that's for sure. The competition also worked in getting me to read the comic as I'd been otherwise ignoring it. Strange how powerful branding can be.

After reading glowing praise from it all around the Internet, I picked up Vision 1 & 2, and holy shit it is incredible. It feels like an Image book, which is probably why it's the best book I've read from ANAD Marvel. Definitely adding this to the subscription list. 

I finally switched over to digital comics, and I wish I would have done it years ago. Now I'm going to start the process of getting rid of all the shit I've been buying over the last few years.  

After reading glowing praise from it all around the Internet, I picked up Vision 1 & 2, and holy shit it is incredible. It feels like an Image book, which is probably why it's the best book I've read from ANAD Marvel. Definitely adding this to the subscription list. 

I finally switched over to digital comics, and I wish I would have done it years ago. Now I'm going to start the process of getting rid of all the shit I've been buying over the last few years.  

I've mostly switched over - although I still pick up the odd image series and graphic novel. The tablet was an essential step for me as the screen is about 90% that of a comic and only really lets me down on double page spreads.

I have to move next month and I wish the comics were on a hardrive rather than in 4-5 boxes. Those boxes are heavy when crammed full of comics.

I've mostly switched over - although I still pick up the odd image series and graphic novel. The tablet was an essential step for me as the screen is about 90% that of a comic and only really lets me down on double page spreads.

I have to move next month and I wish the comics were on a hardrive rather than in 4-5 boxes. Those boxes are heavy when crammed full of comics.

I have so many books, it's a reason not to move house ;)

Comics themselves would only be about 10% of that.

Anyway, that Vision series looks interesting, but I see the trade is not due till June.

I'm a bit disappointed by Sandman Overture which I bought sight unseen btw.

The art is...... well beautifully made but the actual paintings are not to my taste. It's a bit messy and overall lacking in great panels. The story as well is not that engaging really. Overall a project that has disappointed me.

Which reminds me once again of the fact that it's been many years since I last saw a great work from Gaiman. Amercan Gods and maybe Anansi Boys was the last time, since then it has been insignificant stuff.

I have so many books, it's a reason not to move house ;)

Comics themselves would only be about 10% of that.

Anyway, that Vision series looks interesting, but I see the trade is not due till June.

I'm a bit disappointed by Sandman Overture which I bought sight unseen btw.

The art is...... well beautifully made but the actual paintings are not to my taste. It's a bit messy and overall lacking in great panels. The story as well is not that engaging really. Overall a project that has disappointed me.

Which reminds me once again of the fact that it's been many years since I last saw a great work from Gaiman. Amercan Gods and maybe Anansi Boys was the last time, since then it has been insignificant stuff.

I wish I had a say i moving (landlord is selling) :(

Kindle and Netflix/amazon prime have managed to keep my books/box sets down as well. I still like to have a showcase but it makes it look like Spartacus/Boardwalk EMpire were the last shows I enjoyed.

I enjoyed the Graveyard book as much as Anansi Boys so it might be that his kids work is the better place these days? It's been a while since he did a great comic, I agree but I think he's mainly done work for hire as opposed to creator owned in comics of late. I'm trying to remember if Miracle/Marvel Man will eventually go into new material from him and Buckingham or whether it's just old material that was never published?

Yeah, I disagree on We Stand on Guard. The ending for me was quite obvious and the series as a whole pretty lackluster.

Ultimates #2 was interesting, even if there's no way the ending won't be ignored by every other writer.

Secret Wars #8 probably would have been pretty great if it was released on time, but it can't help to feel somewhat underwhelming due to the delays.

I'm glad that Rick in The Walking Dead #149 didn't do the very stupid thing the previous issue seemed to hint at, and overall it was a pretty interesting issue.

Yeah, I disagree on We Stand on Guard. The ending for me was quite obvious and the series as a whole pretty lackluster.

I think we were the only ones reading it :)

I thought the "terrorist" ending was an interesting way to go with it. I'd like to see Steve Skroce on a bigger project at some point.

I think we were the only ones reading it :)

I thought the "terrorist" ending was an interesting way to go with it. I'd like to see Steve Skroce on a bigger project at some point.

I also read it, and I have to agree with WiB. Didn't care for the ending much. In fact the whole story was pretty mediocre. A shame, considering how good the art was.

I also agree wrt WD #149. I liked the issue a lot. Great dialogue between Rick and Negan. 

I also read it, and I have to agree with WiB. Didn't care for the ending much. In fact the whole story was pretty mediocre. A shame, considering how good the art was.

I also agree wrt WD #149. I liked the issue a lot. Great dialogue between Rick and Negan. 

It's probably his worst book since he worked for Marvel but I still found it entertaining overall. The art elevated it a lot.

UPDATE: Anyone interested in doing a top 5-10 books of 2015 over the next few weeks? I'll need to gather my thoughts but should be able to put a top 5 together.

UPDATE: Anyone interested in doing a top 5-10 books of 2015 over the next few weeks? I'll need to gather my thoughts but should be able to put a top 5 together.

Could be. It's harder this year with all the Marvel titles breaking due to Secret Wars, but mine would have:

• Autumnlands
  • Avengers/New Avengers (Hickman's)
  • Daredevil (Waid)
  • Descender
  • East of West
  • Magneto
  • Saga
  • Secret Wars (despite the delays)
  • Silver Surfer

I'm forgetting a lot of stuff, I'm sure, so I'll edit later.

There's also stuff that didn't have enough issues to make my list, though probably will next year, like Paper Girls and Vision.

Batman #47

Holy shit. Snyder's rumored departure from this book after #50 is making me treasure each and every issue more and more. Snyder is the only writer on the planet who could make me care about a Jim Gordon GCPD sponsored Batman. He has had an unbelievably legendary run with Greg Capullo, and they have put a stamp on the Batman mythos with The Court of Owls and Mr. Bloom. I will truly grieve the day these guys leave this title. 

Batman: Europa #2

The art continues to carry this book, despite the fact that Jim Lee seems to have been a hit-it-and-quit-it artist after the 1st issue. The story is fine, but just continues to be a re-hash of multiple Heroes Forced To Work With Villains story.

Superman: American Alien #2

If Max Landis wasn't one of the most insufferable shitdick humans around, this book would be an absolute treasure. That's my weird way of saying I liked this, I guess. 

Weirdworld #1

Nobody in the comic book world can rival Mike Del Mundo outside of MAYBE JH Williams. It's the most jaw-dropping art you'll ever see. Which is maybe not fair, despite being Sam Humphries who is the FUCKING worst. 

Godamned #2 was excellent. I'm loving the art and the take on this part of the old testament - weirdly it makes me want to read up more on the source material (so if it's offending anyone they should keep in mind it's encouraging some to read the Bible). The fact it's pseudo-historical adds to it as it seems to be a largely stone-age society. Aaron and Guerra are also doing an excellent job of convincing me that a flood is in order.

Tokyo Ghost #4 is still lovely to look at but very slow in terms of story. I'm still enjoying it though.

I think my top 5 for the year are

1) Saga - not the strongest year but still great

2) Lazarus - it feels like there haven't been many issues but I've really enjoyed it.

3) Walking Dead (trades) the time-jump has re-energised my feelings towards the book.

4) Low/Black Science/Tokyo Ghost/Deadly Class - I don't really want the list to just be Remender but I probably read more monthlies by him than any other author

5) Morrison's "Multiversity". Brilliant - they were all interesting but the Quietly issue was probably my favourite single issue of the year.

The silver Surfer issue with the time-loop gets a mention for being a brilliant blend of art/writing and structure too.

I've also enjoyed Spider-man/Superior foes, Hawkeye and Daredevil but I'm unsure if they qualify as 2015 books due to me reading them online months after release.

Godamned #2 was excellent. I'm loving the art and the take on this part of the old testament - weirdly it makes me want to read up more on the source material (so if it's offending anyone they should keep in mind it's encouraging some to read the Bible). The fact it's pseudo-historical adds to it as it seems to be a largely stone-age society. Aaron and Guerra are also doing an excellent job of convincing me that a flood is in order.

Tokyo Ghost #4 is still lovely to look at but very slow in terms of story. I'm still enjoying it though.

I think my top 5 for the year are

1) Saga - not the strongest year but still great

2) Lazarus - it feels like there haven't been many issues but I've really enjoyed it.

3) Walking Dead (trades) the time-jump has re-energised my feelings towards the book.

4) Low/Black Science/Tokyo Ghost/Deadly Class - I don't really want the list to just be Remender but I probably read more monthlies by him than any other author

5) Morrison's "Multiversity". Brilliant - they were all interesting but the Quietly issue was probably my favourite single issue of the year.

The silver Surfer issue with the time-loop gets a mention for being a brilliant blend of art/writing and structure too.

I've also enjoyed Spider-man/Superior foes, Hawkeye and Daredevil but I'm unsure if they qualify as 2015 books due to me reading them online months after release.

Forgot about Multiversity. Pax Americana would probably be my best single issue as well. 

Forgot about Multiversity. Pax Americana would probably be my best single issue as well. 

I was even dounting whether it was out this year. It was a strange series where the loose continuity maybe gave the impression of it being a long time ago. I think I read Pax americana about 5 times to fully grasp the beauty of the storytelling. Amazing how they could do a tribute to Watchmen in such a short space.

I read Millar's "chrononauts" largely because of my current interest in Sean Murphy's art. In one way it really wasn't what I expected in terms of story but on the other hand it's pure "millar". It's all about the adolescent (male) wish fulfillment with no regard whatsover for logic. Maybe it's better with time-travel to just not care as it's near impossible to have it make sense? It moves along at a kinetic pace and I'm sure someone will try and turn it into a better movie.

I'll give Millar some credit in the sense his books are aimed at a younger audience and in that respect he has more chance of grabbing younger readers than virtually all of DC/Marvel's fare. Although it's very male targeted.

Archived