Sunspear to be re-labelled as "Dorne" in the opening credits map?

Reuben Stoneheart

The show!hate and irrational-displeasure-with-the-nature-of-adaptations will return with season 5, I assure you.

It already has. And it won't let up anytime soon. Which is why I'm tempted to avoid all GOT-related discussion boards until well after the season is done.

It already has. And it won't let up anytime soon. Which is why I'm tempted to avoid all GOT-related discussion boards until well after the season is done.

I'm seriously addicted to other people's rage, so I'll be hanging out/lurking.... heh

Jaime in Dorne and no Arianne, but people are upset about the credits?

First of all, it is physically possible to have opinions about multiple things at the same time.

Who the ?!%& cares??? Most people probably think the Lannisters come from the "city" of Casterly Rock and it doesn't diminish the value of the show at all. This doesn't matter.

If most viewers have indeed not been able to connect the Lannisters to the former rulers of one of the Seven Kingdoms before this, then I feel that IS quite a failure on the writers behalf. I think you're wrong about that tho.

And The Water Gardens are not in Sunspear. It is its own palace The Martells chill in and throw outrageous orgies.

People keep mentioning this. So what? Daenerys spent like one episode in Pentos, two-three in Vaes Dothrak. The viewers were trusted to be able to put together that she was in transit at other times, without the map just generalising everything as the Dothraki Sea on the map.

For heaven's sake. Some of you are incredibly rude. What's with all the "why-does-it-matter?" type replies?

I acknowledged in my opening post that it was a MINOR GRIPE. But it is a gripe of mine nonetheless.

I was under the impression that this was a forum to discuss all/any aspects of the show. Is it only suitable to start a thread about something MASSIVE now?!?

As for the comment about being sick of people constantly trashing the show - I sincerely hope that wasn't aimed at me.

For heaven's sake. Some of you are incredibly rude. What's with all the "why-does-it-matter?" type replies?

I acknowledged in my opening post that it was a MINOR GRIPE. But it is a gripe of mine nonetheless.

I was under the impression that this was a forum to discuss all/any aspects of the show. Is it only suitable to start a thread about something MASSIVE now?!?

As for the comment about being sick of people constantly trashing the show - I sincerely hope that wasn't aimed at me.

I apologise personally if any of my posts on your thread came off as rude...believe you me, this thread is by far one of the most polite (from the OP onwards) in this particular forum...you need to look through the Speculations threads and Trailer threads to know what true rudeness is, I'm afraid. We who were on the site for last year (and the year before), and took part in some of the more 'fiery' discussions are merely preparing ourselves for what's coming up in 4 weeks time.

We either take moments like this to develop a sense of humour (and a thick skin), or we decide to avoid HBO Westeros threads.

I've tested out my sense of humour, I've pinched my skin to test the sensitivity level...and I think I'm ready! Mind you, I'm an old fart in my 50s who spent 35 years being a waitress...I've had plenty of practice when it comes to avoiding flying knives, forks, and coffee cups. :smug:

It seems to be an example of the show leaning away from the intricacies of the books where they used to lean in. I'd almost prefer them to conflate the Water Gardens and Sunspear to one location, and call it by either name or both or something completely new. To just call it Dorne would probably be borne from an attempt to simplify for the viewer, but I think it would actually cause more confusion. Especially to avid show watcher fans, who've been thoroughly versed in the difference between Winterfell and the North. And there's been mention of Highgarden vs. The Reach, Riverrun vs. Riverlands, and Eyrie vs. The Vale at least (and I'm sure Storm's End has been mentioned though we haven't seen it?).

Meh, if they do it it won't be my biggest gripe with the show, but it would be a disappointment. The whole point of the opening sequence is intricacy, after all.

Sincerely hoping they won't label it as Dorne, but I wouldn't be surprised at this point. One thing that gives me hope that they won't is in last season, the scene with Tyrion waiting for Prince Doran and all the other Dornish representatives come riding in, they're naming off their houses and sigils, etc... that and a few other lines at least set it up that Dorne is a region and not one specific location? So there's a chance it won't be diminished in the opening credits? I'm grasping at that, but we'll see.

Jaime in Dorne and no Arianne, but people are upset about the credits? Who the ?!%& cares??? Most people probably think the Lannisters come from the "city" of Casterly Rock and it doesn't diminish the value of the show at all. This doesn't matter.

And The Water Gardens are not in Sunspear. It is its own palace The Martells chill in and throw outrageous orgies.

And GoT director Alex Graves thinks that Tyrion grew up in the Red Keep...

I apologise personally if any of my posts on your thread came off as rude...believe you me, this thread is by far one of the most polite (from the OP onwards) in this particular forum...you need to look through the Speculations threads and Trailer threads to know what true rudeness is, I'm afraid. We who were on the site for last year (and the year before), and took part in some of the more 'fiery' discussions are merely preparing ourselves for what's coming up in 4 weeks time.

We either take moments like this to develop a sense of humour (and a thick skin), or we decide to avoid HBO Westeros threads.

I've tested out my sense of humour, I've pinched my skin to test the sensitivity level...and I think I'm ready! Mind you, I'm an old fart in my 50s who spent 35 years being a waitress...I've had plenty of practice when it comes to avoiding flying knives, forks, and coffee cups. :smug:

The season two discussions were the most acrimonious, since a second-hand account of a plot-device non-character that was related in a single paragraph of dialogue was changed from the book.

The season two discussions were the most acrimonious, since a second-hand account of a plot-device non-character that was related in a single paragraph of dialogue was changed from the book.

Now I'm curious! What was it?

Sincerely hoping they won't label it as Dorne, but I wouldn't be surprised at this point. One thing that gives me hope that they won't is in last season, the scene with Tyrion waiting for Prince Doran and all the other Dornish representatives come riding in, they're naming off their houses and sigils, etc... that and a few other lines at least set it up that Dorne is a region and not one specific location? So there's a chance it won't be diminished in the opening credits? I'm grasping at that, but we'll see.

Hmm.. Castle Black... The wall. Ring a bell?

It'll be an annoyance of mine if true.

The reason for this is probably that they are too lazy to render something for the Water Gardens so they just clumped it all together.

If the viewers are truly as short-minded as the directors believe (to be unable to remember that Sunspear is the capital of Dorne), I imagine this will be causing greater confusion. The city on the map will be labelled Dorne, the people in the show will call it Sunspear (hopefully) and the region will also be called Dorne.

They could have at the very least made the Dornish animations like that of Slaver's Bay (Astapor, Yunkai and Meereen which all are shown in the Meereen animations), a large label of 'Dorne' over the entire region and where the separate locations are all shown.

Archived