Mormont and his way of thinking

Lord Neddard

I've just finished reading ACOK and I have found the idea of The great ranging silly.

So, Mormont always complains about number of watchers. Anyway, he pulls out 33% of them north of the Wall. Through the whole way he keeps saying that they might die and never come back.

Craster said that Mance gathers a great host that might even march straight to the Wall. So, my question is: Why did not he return to Castle Black and strenghten the Wall with his men instead of marching north?

These reasons are good but I think that it would have been better for both him and the entire watch if he had split his forces in thirds or halves with on marching nort and the other returning to the castle.

He though that 1/3rd of The Watch was enough to give battle to wildlings... he had rangers and well trained and good armored men. Mance had mainly starving wildings, no training. Mormont also has cavalry and knigjts. You will later find out that

knights are very effective against wildings. Stannis' few thousands cavalry and knights smash Mance's entire host

- MAJOR SPOILERS FROM DANCE WITH DRAGONS

From Wiki - Great Ranging ( page contains spoilers about end of the expedition )

" The great ranging's goals are:

To discover why the wildlings who lived close to the Wall were leaving their villages;

Learn more about the so-called King-Beyond-The-Wall, Mance Rayder;

Find First Ranger Benjen Stark, Ser Waymar Royce and the other rangers who have recently disappeared

To discover further information on what caused the corpses of Jafer Flowers and Othor to rise from the dead."

Yes, it's one of the worst decisions in history of the Watch

less than 30 men survive Battle of the Fist of the First Men, Mutiny at Craster's keep. Few men manage to reatreat to Castle Black

Archived