If Robert survived, would he make Stannis his heir or legitimize one of his bastards?

LordPathera

Let's say that Robert survives the boar (very possible seeing as that this was a very flimsy plan) and Ned tells him the truth about Cersei and her kids.

By law, Stannis would become the rightful heir to the throne. But considering the history between Robert and Stannis which largely features Robert snub, bash or otherwise dishonor Stannis, would Robert keep his younger brother as heir or legitimize one of his bastards and have Ned and Renly groom him/her as his heir?

Which option would Ned mostly likely support or would he be on board as long as the Lannisters are paid what they're owed? What would Robert think of Stannis leaving King's Landing after Jon Arryn died knowing why he died without telling Robert? Does Renly go along with Robert's plan or bail and declare himself king in Highgarden anyway or try to persuade Robert to make him his heir? (I see this failing badly)

Or he could marry someone and "acquire" sons and grandsons.

Robert didn't dishonour Stannis. He gave Dragonstone, traditionally the castle of the Crown Prince, to Stannis who was his lawful heir at that time. After Joffrey was born, I don't think he really cared.

Eh, Robert was more one that didn't think things through than intentionally snubbing people. However unlikable Stannis is, he was always loyal to Robert. Sure, Stannis would be heir. Though I imagine that would be a temporary thing, as I think he'd take up Renly's offer of Margaery's hand in marriage and he definitely wouldn't waste any time consummating the marriage(or moving on to another bed). But Renly's happy as Loras would get a kingsguard slot and he'd be around.

He gave Stannis Dragonstone. In parts to snub Stannis but it is still the traditional seat of the crown prince. Also I think that Robert didn't care much of his legacy. So, yes, Stannis would be Robert's heir until he had legit children.

He would likely legitimize Edric as his heir until he has some trueborn children.

It doesn't work that way. Either he legitimize him and then his oldest legit son (=Edric) is his heir or he doesn't legitimize him.

It doesn't work that way. Either he legitimize him and then his oldest legit son (=Edric) is his heir or he doesn't legitimize him.

In one of the SSM, he tells how legitimized bastards can come after all trueborn children. Thus, once Robert's new bride has some children they can be placed before Edric.

Robert rather strongly disliked Stannis, as far as we can tell from what's in the books. He gave him Dragonstone as an intentional insult, made fun of him, etc. He'd probably legitimize Edric Storm not only to have an immediate heir, but to tweak Stannis's nose a bit, since ES's entire conception was already a slap in the face to Stannis.

If he wound up marrying Margaery and having another son or sons, or actually even daughters, when he died you'd probably get a war between the alliance of Stannis, the Florents, and a lot of neutral Houses backing Edric Storm, probably after marrying him to Shireen, and the same Renly, Tyrells, and ambitious second sons types backing the oldest Tyrell-Baratheon prince/ss.

In one of the SSM, he tells how legitimized bastards can come after all trueborn children. Thus, once Robert's new bride has some children they can be placed before Edric.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks

Archived