If Robert survived, would he make Stannis his heir or legitimize one of his bastards?

LordPathera

I agree that Robert would have married Margaery immediatly but until then:

He would have named Edric Storm as his heir. He's highborn, grow up at the court, even in Storm's End by Robert's own brother. He's perfect

In my opinion Stannis really would have been his last choice: He doesen't like him, surely wants his own descendent as King, noone else likes Stannis he has no supporters and he has just a daughter, so his regency would be very uncertain.

surely wants his own descendent as King, noone else likes Stannis he has no supporters and he has just a daughter, so his regency would be very uncertain.

Then again, Robert didn't care for his offspring while he was alive. Robert didn't care for his legacy while he was alive. Why would he act differently in this situation?

Then again, Robert didn't care for his offspring while he was alive. Robert didn't care for his legacy while he was alive. Why would he act differently in this situation?

True, but in this scenario Ned still would be Robert's Hand and he had convinced him. Actually it's a very common thing: When there's no heir legitimate the basterd. The Starks themselves did this once.

True, but in this scenario Ned still would be Robert's Hand and he had convinced him. Actually it's a very common thing: When there's no heir legitimate the basterd. The Starks themselves did this once.

Only nobody considers having a brother as having 'no heir'. Even having a sister or a paternally descended cousin wouldn't normally be considered as having 'no heir'. It's not at all common to legitimise a bastard when those relatives are around, as they were for Robert.

I think Robert would legitimize his bastards. Stannis would not want them legitimized, yet also argue that Robert to at least make them acknowledged bastards.

Eddard would be in favour of their being legitimized, and probably counsel Robet to do so - "Robert, you do have children - several of them, so instead of moping about what Cersei did, name them and be happy with the kids that are actually yours."

Barristan would insist that Robert at least acknowledge them for security reasons. Renly would be dead set against acknowledgments and legitimization, but smart enough to know Robert will acknowledge at least some of them; he would push Robert to marry Margaery and make new - legitimate - heirs.

It is hard to say what Robert would want to do, other than wallow in self-pity as soon as his rage abates over being cuckolded.

Crazy idea:

Robert really resents Stannis, but also really resents ruling. So Robert, trying to be clever names two heirs - Stannis and his eldest boy (Gendry, now acknowledged). Tells them to work out between them which one wants the Iron Throne and which wants Storm's End. Renly loses his shit, but that too is amusing.

However, upon meeting with Gendry, Stannis realizes that Gendry and he have much in common - including nursing a grudge over Robert's general irresponsibility. They might come to like each other instead of being rivals.

I think Robert would legitimize his bastards. Stannis would not want them legitimized, yet also argue that Robert to at least make them acknowledged bastards.

Eddard would be in favour of their being legitimized, and probably counsel Robet to do so - "Robert, you do have children - several of them, so instead of moping about what Cersei did, name them and be happy with the kids that are actually yours."

Barristan would insist that Robert at least acknowledge them for security reasons. Renly would be dead set against acknowledgments and legitimization, but smart enough to know Robert will acknowledge at least some of them; he would push Robert to marry Margaery and make new - legitimate - heirs.

It is hard to say what Robert would want to do, other than wallow in self-pity as soon as his rage abates over being cuckolded.

Crazy idea:

Robert really resents Stannis, but also really resents ruling. So Robert, trying to be clever names two heirs - Stannis and his eldest boy (Gendry, now acknowledged). Tells them to work out between them which one wants the Iron Throne and which wants Storm's End. Renly loses his shit, but that too is amusing.

However, upon meeting with Gendry, Stannis realizes that Gendry and he have much in common - including nursing a grudge over Robert's general irresponsibility. They might come to like each other instead of being rivals.

The idea of Gendry and Stannis becoming pals (or some kind of equivalent considering Stannis' personality) is kind of funny. They'd definitely bond on their common disgust for Robert's idiocy, irresponsibility and other unsavory habits. Though I'm curious about whether or not Stannis would acknowledge Gendry as his rightful liege if Robert legitimized him or would decide to take Robert's action as another snub and oppose the lad out of spite for Robert (and because laws of inheritance concerning legitimized bastards are something of a grey area in general).

If Robert did legitimize his bastards, I would think that he'd more likely legitimize Mya Stone and Edric Storm since their acknowledged as his bastards. As much as Gendry is one of my personal favorite characters, I'm not certain that he'd have a chance of being legitimized due to his background. Unless Eddard told Robert about Gendry and then Robert decides to take him in because he's the closest bastard around and would be Robert's eldest son anyway.

Though I would personally see Gendry as potentially the best king out of Robert's bastards once he gets proper training in court affairs and highborn customs. He's intelligent and keen-sighted, strong, responsible, wants to help others (look at book 2 and 3), and his background as a lowborn means that Gendry can relate to the common people's struggles and be more minded towards their well-being.

Edric was raised as a highborn and is a courteous and king kid. But he seems a tad bit spoiled, naive, entitled and emulates both Renly and Robert's pride. He doesn't strike me as having a great amount of "kingly" potential. Though anything's better than Robert, Aerys or Joffrey, right? Plus, being young means that it's easier for people to use you for their own ends (just look at what's happening in Tommen's reign)

Mya is fairly mature and understanding of the reality of the world (though she has some unrealistic dreams of her own, but who doesn't?), however the succession laws of Westeros guarantee that the true power will go to whoever Mya married while she'd just be a tool to bring royal blood into a new dynasty of rulers.

Now if Stannis were to be acknowledged as heir, would he legitimize Edric or Gendry as his heir since it's clear that he'll never have a son of his own and he could very well outlive his sickly daughter?

The first two obvious options were:

1) Stannis: he hates his guts so he would try to snub him by any possible means.

2) Renly: since the situation is that his Queen passed her bastard children for his, I don't think he will pass on the helm to his gay brother whose wife might not carry his real kids either.

I would think Edric could be a good candidate since his mother was a Florent and he was already acknowledged.

Can't see him remarrying. Oh, I am sure he'd bang Marge first opportunity he got, but another marriage that ain't Lyanna while indebted to a great House? Reckon he might do the sellsword King idea, once the Lannisters are dealt with. Then its "sort it out, you shits!"

Stannis says - "I am the rightful King!"

Renly says - "Yeah, but I married Marge!"

Should be noted that I want TWO5K to happen, regardless. Chaos is a ladduuuurrrr

Robert would do whatever Eddard advised .Originally Robert didn't want to marry Cercei , Jon Arryn talked him into it .

Jon Arryn is also the guy who thought letting Jamie Lannister stay on the Kingsguard would be a good idea. But I shouldn't be too hard on him; after all, to Arr is human.

Archived