Better Call Saul Thread 2; Philly Cheesesteaks((Spoilers))

Lord Syv Aldlark

I was scratching my head in wonder when Chuck put those papers together. Even the team of kids in Argo took way longer. Chuck deserves a bonus for that and for remembering the cases he needed, come to think of it.

Soooo.... Mike, knowing that he doesn't have much time left, and that his family is tight for cash, decides to get into some shady business to leave them money. That kind of reminds me of the plot of some other character, I'm trying to remember who....

Also, Jimmy used to date Kim? I didn't figure she was his type... she couldn't have been killing him with that booty like Fancesca... MM!

Seeing how hard he works and how good he is to his elderly clients makes knowing how he gets mixed up with Walt all the more heartbreaking. I hope Jimmy finds a nice, Cinnabon lovin' wife out there in Omaha. Hopefully that's how the series ends and not with him meeting Walt. Sheesh, I'm jumping way ahead there. Anyway, loved S1E8. Go get 'em McGill Brothers!

It will of course all end terribly for Jimmy though.

:(

McGill & McGill are awesome. I'd hire them. Wonder if Chuck is now cured or was just so preoccupied with the case that he 'forgot' about his condition and will promptly slip back. Looks like HHM are going to hijack Jimmy's case. This was all but confirmed in Jimmy's conversation with Kim - Chuck's contract plus using HHM resources. I agree with what was said upthread that Chuck had something to do with Jimmy not getting the job at HHM. His response to Jimmy asking him for a job is exactly the type of thing one would say when they don't want to disappoint someone personally. I really hope Nacho makes an appearance. It's been too long.

In a fit of late night nostalgia I caught 48 Hours on Netflix last night and was surprised to see a very young Mike in the first few minutes. I highly recommend the experience.

He dies :frown5:

/OT

I don't buy that, because Saul and Mike have a working relationship in BB. Plus that would throw a wrench in the begrudging respect they seem to have for one another.

Edit: ...and I just realized that Kim using Chuck's code for the copier will probably give HHM a solid claim for the case. And Chuck follows the law to the letter, so I'm not sure he'd take Jimmy's side here. I think this is kind of weak though, it doesn't seem like Saul to make this kind of mistake (ie leaving a paper trail). That's a bit of hand waving from the writers imo.

Edit#2:

Oh god why did I have to watch the promo...that gave away the entire episode. It looks like Chuck will side with HHM...and he's fully cured, by the looks of it.

Interesting episode. Jimmy again finding something and showing his potential as a lawyer. Since we have all watched BB we all get the feeling that he will get screwed on this and HHM will get all the credit. The fact that Chuck is still a partner there and that his code was used to print the paperwork is lining this up to pit them against eachother. Chuck will see it as just the rules and law and Jimmy will see it as betrayal.

I could see the Sandpiper group hiring Mike to do something but Mike turning it on them and helping Jimmy, further cementing their trust of eachother.

And, no, just no to Kim sleeping with the boss.

I am sure Chuck's "condition" is likely a mental issue of him dealing with the guilt over not recommending the firm to hire Jimmy. He has gotten progressively better as Jimmy is showing himself to be competent. Chuck seems to be freeing himself from the guilt he hasn't dealt with. Unfortunately for Chuck, if this goes bad and Jimmy takes a beating while HHM looks like the saviors Chuck may suffer a complete mental breakdown if he has a hand in it.

Kim didn’t use the code just for copying cases, I thought. She needed the code for the Westlaw research, though usually every lawyer at a firm has a Westlaw password, which is more than four (4) digits. Still, at the time, every search on Westlaw was charged to the law firm (and then passed on to the client), and it was (and still is through subscriptions etc.) massively expensive. A small photocopying charge could be hidden, and I don’t think there was a printing charge at the time, but a charge for using Westlaw—that could not be hidden. It would have to billed to a client or some firm file number, and even then, it might be questioned.

I really hope that Kim isn't sleeping with Hamlin; it'd fall way too much under the trope that any betrayal from a woman has to involve sex. Plus, based on the interactions we've seen, it seems very doubtful.

I think it's much more likely that Chuck tries to freeze out Jimmy as you said, and then Kim is offered partnership and co-chairing the case with Chuck to side against him.

Has anybody even talked to any of the actual plaintiffs since the case started? Is it even acceptable for Jimmy to initiate the lawsuit on behalf of his clients before actually getting permission to? Can Sandpiper physically bar Jimmy from seeing his own clients at their facility?

Right now, Jimmy is stretching his representation of these clients to draft their wills to include representation of the clients for the litigation he hopes to begin against the nursing home. Is this technically the way it is supposed to work? No, but then I have seen a number of enterprising plaintiffs' attorneys stretch their representation of clients in one matter to be inclusive of representation for all the clients' legal matters. In order to file a lawsuit, though, he would need to a have a contract covering representation of at least a few of the nursing home residents for this particular matter (or a contract indicating he represented them for all legal matters). For a class action lawsuit, these would be the named plaintiffs. The "class action" lawsuit actually does not become a true class action lawsuit until an evidentiary hearing to certify the case as a class action is held, and the class can be certified or not. (If it's not certified, and I'm not including appeals of that decision here, then the case progresses as a mass tort.)

The entire "settlement discussion" with the nursing home's attorneys was off, but in terms of the show, it worked. The nursing home's attorneys could not make a decision on the fly, unless they had authority from the client to do so, which they clearly didn't. So, there is a degree of suspension of belief that has to occur when watching the show, but I do love it.

It kind of hit me in the last episode, when Chuck leaned in and gave Jimmy a hug, that something terrible is probably going to happen to Chuck at some point in the future of the show if not by the end of this season and no lie it made me pretty sad.

Oh for sure. Chuck is brown bread imo

I'm not so sure about that. We saw Chuck's opinion of Saul at the beginning of the episode, and I kind of expect Chuck to side with HHM (atta boy Jimmy, now let the big boys handle it, etc). Chuck could possibly return to work to take on the case himself.

I think if Chuck were to die, that would make Jimmy hell bent on taking on HHM. If Chuck were to 'betray' Jimmy by taking the case from him, I think that'd be more powerful in changing Jimmy into Saul. It technically isn't a betrayal because Chuck is still under contract at HHM (and I think that's the angle he'll take). Or we could have Gilligan take the ultra-dark route and have Chuck betray Jimmy, only to die a short time after. I'm just not sold on Chuck's fate being sealed.

Plus we see so little of Saul's personal life in BB, it's not unlikely that Chuck and Kim are still around, but estranged.

Prediction -

I've seen everyone kind of speculating on what tragedy befalls Chuck and Kim. Obviously something has to happen because they aren't a part of Saul's life in BB. A popular theory is that Nacho uses one or both of them as leverage to 'get Saul in the game.' I have another theory. I think that Chuck and Kim will both 'betray' Jimmy. Many people think Hamlin will use the fact that Jimmy used Chuck's code as some kind of precedent to grab the case. I think this is a masterfully placed red herring.

Chuck is on the mend. I think the one thing he really wants is back in at HHM. I think he knows that having this case will get him back in at the highest level. He will take the case to HHM and offer to pay Jimmy a substantial finder's fee. When Jimmy, heartbroken, goes to Kim to seek advice and support, he will see that she has been sleeping with Hamlin this entire time. (Think about it... Kim is a star who only lost a couple of shaky clients, Hamlin wouldn't have sent her to the corn field UNLESS he was overreacting in order to cover for their relationship. )

Jimmy will say a big 'F-U to Hamlin, his brother, and Kim.' He will finally understand that you can't be a member of a club that won't accept you. He will give up the idea of being an 'above board' (mostly) lawyer and descend fully into Saul Goodness?

Thoughts?

I'll be thoroughly pissed off if the one main female character we have in this show ends up sleeping with the main ''villain'' seriously lazy, cliche, bordering on sexist stuff.

This show is awesome and I hate that I only decided to come here and talk about it with two episodes left!

My prediction, though: basically what Jon Flow says - Chuck goes back to HHM over Jimmy. Kim stays with them, too. Jimmy is left with nothing and it's as bad for him as Granite State was for Walter in BrBa. Ugh, I'm upset just thinking about it.

Dark horse prediction: Nacho kills Chuck. Nacho told Jimmy there would be consequences, we haven't seen him since, and we have to see him again... Don't know how that'll tie in with HHM stuff, though.

And we also have Mike contracted to do some kind of job - no idea what'll happen there. So my other prediction will be that something big happens that nobody has predicted yet, and we'll all lose our shit. As is custom with BrBa season endings. There's so much rising and I don't know how it's all going to connect. But I feel confident on Jimmy being left alone and turning into "Saul" by the end of the season, and I'm willing to hedge my bets on the dark horse Nacho kills Chuck prediction.

edit @SweetPea: Saul bailed and used the Hoover vanishing act to go away, and we didn't know what happened after that; he said that his best case scenario was managing a Cinnabon in Omaha. The last thing we see is him telling Walt "it's over." Per the opening scene of BCS, he does get to that Cinnabon and is incredibly unfulfilled with this quiet, repetitive, monotonous labor compared to his exciting, unpredictable life as Saul. :( I have seen some folks speculate that the show will end with Saul killing himself based on that opening scene. Pretty sure Vince et al. have said that they don't know where it's going - but that wouldn't surprise me.

JUST ONE MORE THING WALTER WHITE FUCKED UP FOR EVERYONE. THANKS, YOU EGOTISTICAL FUCK.

Archived