Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

I thought there was a topic on this but I'll be damned if I can find it with the wonky search engine.

They have made their first casting announcement for the adaptation of The Garth Ennis comic series. http://io9.com/someone-inhuman-is-coming-to-the-preacher-tv-series-1692350320

I am still not sure how well this will work on AMC but we'll see. There are rumors they want to cast Dominic Cooper as Jesse and while he is a fine actor, I don't see him fitting. But then it is hard to know who would work unless they are open to casting an older, follicly challnged actor, in which case they should call Walton Goggins ASAP.

EDIT: that character description of Tulip is somewhat odd.

We'll see what happens, I guess. What little I read of this series seemed... Let's say "juvenile."

Add to that the fact Seth Rogen got the show up and running and I think there's a safe bet they'll keep the juvenile in. That said, I enjoyed the silliness although the moments that stick were the more serious moments.

It could and probably will be a very different beast on air. It'd be good to see something a bit more zany on AMC. Breaking bad and Saul certainly have a dark humour to them so it'll be interesting to see how far they push PReacher. I hope they don't just try and make it "Walking Dead".

I didn't like the comic. Some neat ideas but it's way too puerile. Even moreso, I thought, than Garth Ennis normally is. I liked The Boys mostly, I liked Kev a bit, but I didn't like this.

So I'm not too fussed about the show.

It continues to vex me that Millar and now Ennis are continuing to beat the similar-but-far-superior Warren Ellis to the screen (with the exception of RED, which was barely an adaptation). Where's my Transmet tv show, dammit!?

• 3 weeks later...

Ellis is not as good as you remember. Transmetropolitan has its moments, but a lot of it is also pretty puerile.

It has some puerility (well, quite a lot in places), sure, but it maintains its balance of tone much better. Plus, he's funnier.

It's not as if I read Transmet particularly long ago, it's exactly as good as I remember.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

See, at one time I would have been excited about this.  Outside of Saint of Killers though my enthusiasm for the series has waned quite a bit.  To the point that I finally sold off the comics and now have only Sandman and Watchmen left on my shelf from the old days.

That said, a series could be kind of cool.  Especially with some outside the box casting.  But the stupid insistence of keeping Arseface, the most juvenile of many unnecessary plot lines, kind of kills what spark I had left for this adaption.

Arseface was always going to be in the show. I'm guessing a lot of the juvenile humor will be.

The best aspect of the book was combination of darkness and compassion under the humor and Ennis' desperate attempt at hyper-masculinity. Curious how well the show captures that.

Juvenile is really the buzzword in this thread so far isn't it? :lol:

I'm reading the series right now, 12 issues in so far, really liking it. Will definitely check the show out when it comes on.

People just sort of pick things up through osmosis around here. I remember there was about a week where everyone was describing everything as saccharine and it was driving me nuts.

People just sort of pick things up through osmosis around here. I remember there was about a week where everyone was describing everything as saccharine and it was driving me nuts.

Well it's fat jokes, poop jokes, jokes about a guy whose face looks like an asshole. I mean what's a better word than juvenile?

But the stupid insistence of keeping Arseface, the most juvenile of many unnecessary plot lines, kind of kills what spark I had left for this adaption.

The insistence of trying to stay true to the story they're adapting kills your anticipation?

That's it, folks.  Internet's over.  We've now officially hit all possible reasons to bitch about something.  

Archived