Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

People just sort of pick things up through osmosis around here. I remember there was about a week where everyone was describing everything as saccharine and it was driving me nuts.

Saccharine has been a descriptor of things like Forrest Gump or whatever for a long time. It was hardly just a week on here.

Likewise- juvenile is not a rare descriptor for works which feature Garth Ennis' type of humour.

The insistence of trying to stay true to the story they're adapting kills your anticipation?

That's it, folks.  Internet's over.  We've now officially hit all possible reasons to bitch about something.  

As is not uncommon for Ennis, there's a very good story buried in Preacher, but it's spoiled somewhat by the juvenile shit it's smothered in. Removing it could have made it much better, the way the Kick-Ass film did to the comic, so yeah, not doing so is bad news.

Never understood the love for Preacher. It's good of course, but never really struck me as being that great. I'm looking forward to this show nonetheless

Underneath the humor and depictions of violence Ennis has some enjoyable characterization and the overarching plots are interesting. I found much of The Boys to be over-the-top yet still enjoyed the story enough to see it through to the end.

The insistence of trying to stay true to the story they're adapting kills your anticipation?

That's it, folks.  Internet's over.  We've now officially hit all possible reasons to bitch about something.  

Arseface had zero effect on the plot. None. His creation is the side effect of one time Jesse uses his power. He dissappears and turns up again as a rockstar. Always played as a not very funny joke.

Unless you are guaranteeing the show will be a point by point remake of the comic then your objection to what I said doesn't hold water. Arseface can be dropped without any effect and the story will be better for it.

• 2 months later...

I met Garth Ennis today... He was signing at the Dynamite Entertainment exhibit at a local comic expo... really nice guy... very gracious ... He mentioned  having seen --and really liked-- the pilot... his words were that they "nailed it" ... now of course he was going to say nice things... but I thought I'd relay the story to my message board peeps

I met Garth Ennis today... He was signing at the Dynamite Entertainment exhibit at a local comic expo... really nice guy... very gracious ... He mentioned  having seen --and really liked-- the pilot... his words were that they "nailed it" ... now of course he was going to say nice things... but I thought I'd relay the story to my message board peeps

Nice! That makes me somewhat hopeful after that trailer that hardly resembles the comics. At least what I've read so far (reading the series now, about halfway through).

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

They are already going for Quincannon in the first season? It seems a little early.

I also find this concerning. I can't see how they'd be following the comic that closely if they are dealing with a villain from late in the series. I also wonder where Herr Starr will be? I'm starting to wonder if they'll avoid the Grail for the first season to avoid backlash which is pretty futile as those who want to be offended will be offended from the get go.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Jesse and Cassidy look good, but Tulip doesn't look anything like she does in the comics. 

I wouldn't say Cassidy looks like the comic version but he captures the spirit of the character. We might have to see Tulip in action to see if the same is true of her. The photo of Tulip isn't the best - I thought they'd go for the fairly iconic one of her pointing the gun. This is just a woman sitting in a car.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:02 AM, red snow said:

I also find this concerning. I can't see how they'd be following the comic that closely if they are dealing with a villain from late in the series. I also wonder where Herr Starr will be? I'm starting to wonder if they'll avoid the Grail for the first season to avoid backlash which is pretty futile as those who want to be offended will be offended from the get go.

I was just thinking the same thing.... with all the talk of who's playing whom.... no mention of Herr Starr, Miss Feaherstone or the Allfather D'aronique

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/25/2015 at 11:03 AM, polishgenius said:

As is not uncommon for Ennis, there's a very good story buried in Preacher, but it's spoiled somewhat by the juvenile shit it's smothered in. Removing it could have made it much better, the way the Kick-Ass film did to the comic, so yeah, not doing so is bad news.

It wouldn't be Ennis if it wasn't smothered in juvenile shit. It's kind of what he does. I would say that it's spiced with juvenile shit as opposed to spoiled, but again it wouldn't be Ennis if it didn't at least occasionally go over-the-top. 

Overall I liked it, a bit to my surprise. Joe Gilgun was great and feel like the perfect choice for Cassidy and I thought Dominic Cooper was good as well, even though I had my doubts initially. The are diverging a fair bit from the source material but that was expected and I'm curious to see where it will go. I liked the "open your heart" bit.

However, I'm not sold on Tulip yet. Ruth Negga is good, but I'm not really fond of how the changed the character and the way her current relationship with Jesse and Annville is presented.

Plus I'm not sure how I feel about them dropping the road-trip aspect.

Archived