Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

43 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I hated trying to figure out his dialogue in the comics. It was maddening at times.

Same here. Extremely frustrating. Let's hope he doesn't get his musical career in the show. :lol:

To anyone struggling to remember names, the big 3: Jesse (Preacher), Tulip (Jesse's badass ex), Cassidy  (vampire). Those are really the only one's you need to keep track of at this point. 

I am not a reader of the comics, but I enjoyed the hell out of the pilot. As I can't understand half of what Cassidy said, I didn't quite get what was going on in the airplane, and when he ate a cow, I thought that he might have been playing an antagonist. I am going to have to go back and watch again. 

Tulip is awesome.

Thanks, Nic, for the name list!

I just realized that I didn't get that he was a vampire.  Though now I feel stupid because obviously I saw him drinking the pilot's blood in the most delicious way possible and should have inferred that he was a vampire.  I guess those people on the plane were vampire hunters?  But why corner him on a plane?  That seems dumb.  

What was that scene at the start about? Is the 'essence' that exploded that first preacher the same that's now in Jesse?  

I think I might actually need/want to rewatch the pilot.  I'm finding myself growing increasingly invested in this show based on what y'all are saying about it.  

39 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

What was that scene at the start about? Is the 'essence' that exploded that first preacher the same that's now in Jesse?

And the Russian, and Tom Cruise, yes. Though as far as I recall it went straight to Jesse in the comics.

18 minutes ago, felice said:

And the Russian, and Tom Cruise, yes. Though as far as I recall it went straight to Jesse in the comics.

Forgot about the Tom Cruise bit. :lol:

It did indeed go right into Jesse in the comics. That was kind of an odd choice the way they did it. Especially seeing someone else use the word first. 

It does show that Jesse is definitely being chosen. I mean I never doubted that in the book, but this way on the screen it's obvious that it's not just first dude it reaches is the one. As the first three nopes made clear.

5 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

I am not a reader of the comics, but I enjoyed the hell out of the pilot. As I can't understand half of what Cassidy said, I didn't quite get what was going on in the airplane, and when he ate a cow, I thought that he might have been playing an antagonist. I am going to have to go back and watch again. 

Tulip is awesome.

That's the beauty of Cassidy - you never know whether he's an antagonist, protagonist or somewhere in between. Like a real person (despite the fact he's clearly not a normal person. In many ways he's the most interesting character in the comic and a lot of the best moments pivot around him and his connections with the rest. I think the actor is up to the task of doing this right.

The airplane scene was him killing a bunch of vampire hunters. That and his feeding on some of them should give a clue to what he is. The bit where he opened the bottle of wine in the guy's chest was pretty awesome.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There is another bit where Cassidy sticks his hand in the sunlight and it bursts into flames, just to be a bit clearer :)

Yeah, but there were times before that when he appears to be out in the daytime and it doesn't affect him. I thought it was odd. I supposed only direct sunlight has an effect?

Yeah, if he's in the shade, like he was after the crash, it's apparently okay. I guess he must have healed pretty quickly or the sun was going down behind the tractor as he lay there.

54 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, if he's in the shade, like he was after the crash, it's apparently okay. I guess he must have healed pretty quickly or the sun was going down behind the tractor as he lay there.

He had his umbrella with him too. As the holy water shows, there is a difference between vampire lore and vampire's within the world of "preacher"

26 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I think the fresh blood speeds up the healing process.

I was also struck with the fact that this is how the Constantine show should have been done, with this kind of feeling and atmosphere. 

Especially the Garth Ennis version of Constantine.

14 hours ago, red snow said:

That's the beauty of Cassidy - you never know whether he's an antagonist, protagonist or somewhere in between. Like a real person (despite the fact he's clearly not a normal person. In many ways he's the most interesting character in the comic and a lot of the best moments pivot around him and his connections with the rest. I think the actor is up to the task of doing this right.

The airplane scene was him killing a bunch of vampire hunters. That and his feeding on some of them should give a clue to what he is. The bit where he opened the bottle of wine in the guy's chest was pretty awesome.

Ah, that was the reason for the line on the airplane about flying directly into the sun. I thought he was a demon, not a vampire.

52 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Ah, that was the reason for the line on the airplane about flying directly into the sun. I thought he was a demon, not a vampire.

I can't remember if there's demons in the comic but I guess vampires and demons could have some crossover. I realised I should probably put future comic references in spoilers though. I think in this case saying he's a vampire is confirming all the evidence in the episode (his character may be described as such in the blurb too). I get the impression it's going to be even more divergent than Walking Dead though. Which is actually cool as I can be surprised watching the show as well.

AMC has a fun genre line up at the moment with Walking Dead, PReacher and Into the Badlands. Each has its own flavour and the most popular one is my least favourite. Probably should wait until the other two have more than a dozen episodes though.

21 minutes ago, red snow said:

I can't remember if there's demons in the comic but I guess vampires and demons could have some crossover.

There are. There is that whole bit with the Saint of Killers going to Hell and threatening the Devil. More angels than demons in the comic, but there are some of both. 

On rewatch, it's of course obvious that he's a vampire.  I just really wasn't paying all that much attention when I first watched.  For one, I wasn't expecting anything even decent with this show.  I mean, Seth Rogan is attached to it, ffs.  For another, I had no idea to expect vampires.  This show is so far definitely not what I expected, which makes it all the more a pleasant surprise.

Not a comic reader and I loved the show so far. Some great visuals and I like all the main characters. I had done some pre reading about Preacher and was pretty leery of Assface being included. But it was well done. I don't think anyone actually called him Assface either during the episode.

Good to know there's demons included. They can really spice up a show if done right, as Buffy showed.

I loved how the essence or whatever it's called was like this weird shrieking alien snake.

10 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

There are. There is that whole bit with the Saint of Killers going to Hell and threatening the Devil. More angels than demons in the comic, but there are some of both. 

I think I'm due a re-read. They are on my bookshelf as I walk into my flat - hopefully ends any evangelist visits quickly :)

10 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

On rewatch, it's of course obvious that he's a vampire.  I just really wasn't paying all that much attention when I first watched.  For one, I wasn't expecting anything even decent with this show.  I mean, Seth Rogan is attached to it, ffs.  For another, I had no idea to expect vampires.  This show is so far definitely not what I expected, which makes it all the more a pleasant surprise.

I'm surprised Seth Rogen is involved with something good too. I think he does have a good eye for personal projects eg he did "take this waltz" because he liked the script. Few and far between though. The big surprise here is that he directed the pilot which is pretty damn impressive for a debut. Maybe he has the Affleck factor in that he's a better director?

Archived