Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

I have never found him funny.  Everything I've seen of his also has a way of pissing me off because it's always tinged with touches of racism, sexism, and the like.  Granted, I haven't seen a whole lot of his stuff because I'm so turned off, so he could very well have released some decent projects.  This one is definitely looking like it will be good.  My internal fears about how Tulip will be treated will hopefully be unfounded.  

23 minutes ago, Mandy said:

What's with all the Seth Rogen hate?  He's a funny dude.  A bit douchey at times, but funnier than many.

I thought This Is the End was one of the funniest movies i've seen this decade. Nice to see Hollywood types poking fun at themselves. 

Superbad is damn funny too. Idk, I like the guy. :dunno:

31 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I thought This Is the End was one of the funniest movies i've seen this decade. Nice to see Hollywood types poking fun at themselves. 

Superbad is damn funny too. Idk, I like the guy. :dunno:

I watched The Night Before recently and found it really funny. There is something about them that just hits the spot a lot of times. Not always, but enough that I'll give it a shot.

I think some of his comedies are great for what they are eg "this is the end" and "superbad" and I always think he's good as the goofy stoner. Still I'd put him in the Will Farell and Jim Carrey mould of being surprised when they are in something that isn't just about the laughs

I just didn't expect him to be able to channel that into the Preacher pilot without it seeming to be just about the puerile. Which is quite impressive because the source material is at its worst when puerile and at its est when being batshit crazy with interesting/zany characters. If he can stick to the better side with the show he'll get a big thumbs up from me.

Yup, none of the movies mentioned so far are ones I've seen.  The last time I tried a Seth Rogen film was The Interview and I was prepared to watch something totally stupid but there was just one too many times the comedy relied on making fun of the accent of non native english speakers.  Not my type of humor at all.  

Vox has a non spoiler review of the first four episodes.  After enjoying the pilot, I did find myself having some concerns about how the character of Tulip would be treated.  Women of color on tv can have it hard.  It's been really great to read so many early reviews that discuss how amazing Ruth Negga's character is, but this particular one has me the most excited:

But it's Ruth Negga's Tulip who runs away with the first four episodes — which is an impressive feat, considering how completely boring her character is in the comics.

For most of Preacher's first volume, Tulip is pretty much exists only to whine at Jesse and try to make him remember that he used to feel something like love once. Even though she develops more in the comics going forward, as Joanna Robinson says atVanity Fair, it's significant that in the first four episodes of the TV series, Tulip's storyline still hinges on Jesse's without the character depending on him for a personality.

In Negga's self-assured hands, Tulip is impetuous, furious, and brilliantly mean. She runs on resentment and hellfire, and every second she's onscreen crackles with smirking electricity. As in the comics, she's head over heels for Jesse, but she's angry about it, and the result is hypnotizing. She can deliver a stirring monologue about love with a wink, constantly keeping you guessing whether she actually means it or whether she's full of shit.

As she tells a couple of gaping kids not long after crashing into their ramshackle house:

If you're lucky enough to fall in love you have to be even stronger. Fight like a lion to keep it alive. So that on the day your love is weak enough or selfish enough or freaking stupid enough to run away you have the strength to track him down and eat him alive.

Oh, also: Tulip delivers this passionate speech while literally building herself a bazooka.

Giving Tulip so much to do — and trusting Negga to bring her roaring to life — speaks highly of Preacher's instincts and bodes well for the future.

I thought Ruth Negga's Tulip was the best part of the pilot as well...  her "southern gal" was terrific...

the additional characters --the ones not in the book-- probably exist because other than Eugene being post Areseface... we're not yet at the starting point of where the books begin

I can't understand half of what Cassidy says

The phrase "Bunny in a Bear trap" needs to be incorporated into the national lexicon.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

scratching my head a bit at having a gap between the premiere and second episode.

I guess they wanted to take advantage of the lead in from Fear The Walking Dead, but yeah... I agree, it's sort of puzzling.

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

I guess they wanted to take advantage of the lead in from Fear The Walking Dead, but yeah... I agree, it's sort of puzzling.

That's a good reason but not putting the second episode on the week after probably loses the momentum gained from that move. Was it a holiday weekend in the US?

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's a good reason but not putting the second episode on the week after probably loses the momentum gained from that move. Was it a holiday weekend in the US?

Yeah. Memorial Day weekend. I was sort of surprised Game of Thrones went on as scheduled. I know in the past, they have skipped airing a new episode over Memorial Day weekend.

13 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

Yeah. Memorial Day weekend. I was sort of surprised Game of Thrones went on as scheduled. I know in the past, they have skipped airing a new episode over Memorial Day weekend.

Skipping a week would have put the GoT season finale on the 4th of July weekend though. 

Going to Ratwater! Fuck Yes! Graham McTavish feels like a solid choice for that role.

Otherwise keep on being pretty good. The church fight was great. Cassidy and Jesse keep on being good, although different from the comic. The introduction to Quincannon was good.

I'm still not entirely sold on Tulip, but I'm sure that'll change down the line.

I didn't like last night's episode nearly as much as the first one. As a non-comic reader, I had no idea wtf the opening sequence had to do with anything else that happened in the episode. Did it? Or was it just meant to tease something coming down the pike later?

"I didn't like last night's episode nearly as much as the first one. As a non-comic reader, I had no idea wtf the opening sequence had to do with anything else that happened in the episode. Did it? Or was it just meant to tease something coming down the pike later?"

Did you notice Jesse at one point standing under the same hanging tree that the gunslinger [the Saint of Killers] rode by during the flashback/opening? For non-readers, a bit of foreshadowing only, at this point. 

22 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

"I didn't like last night's episode nearly as much as the first one. As a non-comic reader, I had no idea wtf the opening sequence had to do with anything else that happened in the episode. Did it? Or was it just meant to tease something coming down the pike later?"

Did you notice Jesse at one point standing under the same hanging tree that the gunslinger [the Saint of Killers] rode by during the flashback/opening? For non-readers, a bit of foreshadowing only, at this point. 

Nope. Completely missed that. Seemed like an awful lot of exposition for something that had nothing to do with the rest of the episode.

I'd agree, honestly. I wonder if they're planning on continuing that as a story within the story, for the time being. Either way, it should've been more than a nod in this one episode. 

I understand that the intro scene must have been really confusing for anyone who has not read the comic and overall it did feel a bit odd to just have it there with no actually follow up. But as a fan of the comic that scene was very reassuring for how the show is going to develop.

I am still on the fence, some entertaining bits but a lot still doesn't sit right. Anneville and everyone in it outside of the three main characters looks really boring. I also think they may have gone too disjointed with the story. Everyone I know who hasn't read the comics is already getting frustrated because it looks like a bunch of random shit with no throughline. They don't need to make EVERYTHING a mystery, they need to start establishing something or I think they may lose viewers. I read an interview with Rogen and the other producers where they said the comic just throws you into the story amd that would be hard to do on TV, but it looks like they may have gone too far with slowing things down.

Personally, I would have preferred to meet the SoK and get his back story later, just because that is one instance where being enigmatic would have worked in their favor, but at least he is in the show.

Enjoyed the episode again. Cassidy's scenes were the best and I loved how they delivered his backstory so succinctly and in a way Jesse dismissed as a joke.

The overall story is a slow burn especially regarding his voice. For those who are confused don't feel too envious about those who've read the comic - I was as confused as you when those two guys popped up again. All I know about them is their tags from casting.

Loving the overall style though and it forging it's own path.

Archived