Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

Okay, wait...

The scene in the bar where the cowboy killed everyone was really hell? Did I completely miss that?

I took it that he did kill everyone in bar in real life, which is why he got sent to Hell.   But now he is forced to relive the death of his family and his vengeance on the town over and over again as his eternal punishment.

Just now, Leofric said:

I took it that he did kill everyone in bar in real life, which is why he got sent to Hell.   But now he is forced to relive the death of his family and his vengeance on the town over and over again as his eternal punishment.

I guess I'm just confused about him being in hell. Did they show that in some way that I'm missing?

Just now, MisterOJ said:

I guess I'm just confused about him being in hell. Did they show that in some way that I'm missing?

Yes, they flashed the word Hell on the screen  when they were showing his loop at the end of the episode.  Just like they flashed Albuquerque during Tulip's last scene.

1 minute ago, Leofric said:

Yes, they flashed the word Hell on the screen  when they were showing his loop at the end of the episode.  Just like they flashed Albuquerque during Tulip's last scene.

Oooohhhh... okay. Thanks. Yeah, I must have been looking away when that flashed up. Makes more sense now.

23 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Saw a theory that Fiore and DeBlanc are Genesis' parents, this episode might have converted me to that way of thinking.

I haven't followed this thread at all or followed any theories, but this is exactly what I concluded after this latest episode.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

I haven't followed this thread at all or followed any theories, but this is exactly what I concluded after this latest episode.

But didn't they say that Genesis was born from an angel from heaven and an angel from hell? Neither of them wanted to go to hell in this episode, both were very clearly against it. If one of them was from there, you would think that it would be normal for him?

I am not yet eager for a second season, a lot of it has been very boring punctuated occasionally by some cool scenes. The "Jesse abuses his power" angle was the most cliche heavy and annoying decision which ate up a large chunk of the show. I suppose they did it to give Jesse an excuse to not use his power because otherwise, why isn't he using his power? He could have made the sheriff let him go rather than jumping from a car, and he Definitely SHOULD have made the angels rescue Eugene and tell him every bit of information about Genesis. I don't think they justified an entire season in Annville.

Fiore and Deblanc are definitely not the parents, they are clearly both angels.

On July 25, 2016 at 0:57 PM, GallowKnight said:

Comic-Book Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure how I feel about the saint. It seems like he is not actually the angel of death in this version, but he more like an angry guy in hell who is just really good at killing people. Which is a bit of a disappointment, especially if he don't have all his "saintly abilities". I think he might be what does in for Annville rather than genesis though.

I am also really hoping that Annville is done in for and so that we can leave that behind and finally go on the road next season.

Spoiler

This is where they completely missed the mark. I thought it was just a weaker way to introduce him, by telling his origin first without the enigmatic entrance. I had no idea they were doing away with his role as a replacement for the Angel of Death altogether. Now he is just some schmuck who killed a bunch of people and went to hell? And they just had to give him a thing with hating Preachers?

If they destroy the church and everyone in it in the finale they can course correct a lot of the weird decisions they have made, but the SoK is permanantly demoted from force of nature to mere butthurt cowboy.

15 minutes ago, Morpheus said:
  Hide contents

This is where they completely missed the mark. I thought it was just a weaker way to introduce him, by telling his origin first without the enigmatic entrance. I had no idea they were doing away with his role as a replacement for the Angel of Death altogether. Now he is just some schmuck who killed a bunch of people and went to hell? And they just had to give him a thing with hating Preachers?

If they destroy the church and everyone in it in the finale they can course correct a lot of the weird decisions they have made, but the SoK is permanantly demoted from force of nature to mere butthurt cowboy.

Spoiler

Yes, I am really disappointed that they didn't go wake him up in a coffin buried under a hill like they did in the comic. And that they seeminlgy have removed the whole saint of killers bit from the Saint of Killers.

I'm 50/50 on whether I can be arsed to continue with this. The tone is all over the place, the characters (mostly) suck, and, aside from a small handful of awesome moments, it really is pretty boring.

I'll probably stick with it until the season ends, but I've dropped better shows than this mid-season.

ETA: And can anyone explain why excruciatingly-boring-church-lady 

Spoiler

fed the mayor to Cassidy?

'cos the writers sure as hell didn't.

I think Emily was 'inspired' by Psycho, seeing the Mayor as a bit like Bates. We've seen hints of nastiness from him, last episode particularly. I wonder how much of Quinncannons violence is general knowledge, if it's pretty well known she knows the Mayor is culpable of covering it up. But yeah still seems very out of character.

Fiore seemed to react quite strongly to DeBlanc getting shot. Comic spoilers:

Spoiler

If DeBlanc stays dead, then it looks like the Saint does have his comic powers, even if the explanation for them turns out to be different.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I think Emily was 'inspired' by Psycho, seeing the Mayor as a bit like Bates. We've seen hints of nastiness from him, last episode particularly. I wonder how much of Quinncannons violence is general knowledge, if it's pretty well known she knows the Mayor is culpable of covering it up. But yeah still seems very out of character.

Personally I think it was his very insistent and almost verbal rapey "I will be staying over tonight" demand that threw the switch. But I agree making a very big leap to murder by vampire based on a creepy phone call and watching a scene from psycho was a piss weak set up for her motivations. 

I think as an ostensibly good Christian woman the thing that was possibly even more of an out of the blue disconnect was the vampire reveal and her being instantly on board with aiding in the recovery. I assume that the world we are observing is generally one where the supernatural and the undead are not regarded as likely to exist. So having "Cassidy is a vampire that Jesse burned." thrust upon you ought to elicit somewhat more of a reaction and a more negative one than, "OK I'll feed some cute animals to him, since you asked, person who has not exactly been kind to me, despite my prior view that he's basically been nothing but a freeloading leech on Jesse." At least Jesse's reaction upon finding out was initially pretty visceral and negative, until he realised he still liked Cassidy. Glad to know Jesse did decide to use the fire extinguisher.

What does it mean for an angel to be killed in hell? Does he stay in hell or does he get sent back to heaven, or does he cease to exist? If hell is a personalised place of torment, then does the angel simply go to their personalised hell? Or does the angel become a demon servant of Lucifer?

It's a huge moral leap from smashing an iPad to feeding a person to a vampire. Perhaps her relationship with the mayor became abusive off screen. Maybe it's my memory at fault but I thought her calling the mayor her boyfriend was a lie to hide the fact that she has the hots for Jesse. But that phone call suggested they do have a physical relationship and I can't remember her actually taking that step in a previous episode. 

It does seem like Emily is a very unwilling sexual partner for the mayor. And while it would not meet a legal definition for rape, if Emily thinks she's got no choice but to let the mayor get his leg over from time to time then in her mind it's pretty much the same thing as rape. So being presented with an opportunity to kill him, without having to actually pull the trigger, is something many people would jump at to get themselves out. And if that was going to be their first time, and she saw no way to prevent it, the revulsion would be pretty strong so the motivation to take the step would be there.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's a huge moral leap from smashing an iPad to feeding a person to a vampire. Perhaps her relationship with the mayor became abusive off screen. Maybe it's my memory at fault but I thought her calling the mayor her boyfriend was a lie to hide the fact that she has the hots for Jesse. But that phone call suggested they do have a physical relationship and I can't remember her actually taking that step in a previous episode. 

It does seem like Emily is a very unwilling sexual partner for the mayor. And while it would not meet a legal definition for rape, if Emily thinks she's got no choice but to let the mayor get his leg over from time to time then in her mind it's pretty much the same thing as rape. So being presented with an opportunity to kill him, without having to actually pull the trigger, is something many people would jump at to get themselves out. And if that was going to be their first time, and she saw no way to prevent it, the revulsion would be pretty strong so the motivation to take the step would be there.

The Ipad smashing scene isn't the only hint of violence we got from her.  It was simply the first instance that I recall where we see that this khaki and cardigan wide eyed church lady image isn't exactly what it seems.

We don't really know why she was with the Mayor though we have a lot of hints that she probably didn't want to be.  Surely we're all wondering why, and especially what her history was before the events that started the show.  She's never really shocked at anyone's violent behavior.  She's been drawn to Jesse and recently Tulip.  I mean, Tulip came in to Emily's house practically guns ablazing and Emily barely balked.  Did Emily do something prior to the start of the series that the mayor helped her hide such that she felt beholden to him in order to protect herself? When we first meet them, we tend to assume that she's only with him to get some much needed help with the kids.  But then as we start learning more about her and seeing these hints of darkness and violence, it seems clear we're meant to wonder what's hiding under the cardigan.  

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I was never quite sure if the scene from early in the season meant she was sleeping with him or not. It did seem to be heavily implied.

I agree with others that feeding him to Cassidy did seem a leap (and I was left wondering if I'd missed something again). I guess it could be a lot of factors eg Mayor being creepy, emulating Tulip's bad girl image and dealing with a vampire. The take home for me was that she was more concerned about the guinea pigs than the mayor which implied a lot about the mayor (or her).

I really enjoyed the end. At first I was a bit "why are they showing us all this again"? but then it dawned on me what they were doing and i think it made for a very good definition of hell. Especially a personal hell and I now see the cowboy as someone stuck in those couple of days.

If the angels were in hell it felt like a missed opportunity for following up the Eugene thread.

Ok, I might get killed for this.

My version of Emily and the Mayor was that she was using him for what she wanted, she was in control. She used him for help with the shopping, the house, the kids etc.. The scene in the kitchen, she was the one who initiated what I presume was sex off screen. She dropped her pants and said he wasn't staying over, he seemed surprised.

She also had the Ipad smashing incident.

But more telling, when she was at the church and was looking for Jesse, she went to the bathroom and at first closed the door, then opened it back up. I saw that as her hoping Jesse would walk in on her with her pants down, except it was Tulip instead.(and Tulip closed the door, signifying it was an issue)

Now, I have no issue with any of what Emily had done (until she fed the mayor to the vampire that is), but it does contrast the prim and proper church girl she was showing everyone else.

Archived