Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

On 14/08/2017 at 3:06 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

I don't know why you think Eugene teleported.  Preacher had his back turned when he issued that command. We didn't see Eugene disappear into thin air.  We don't know how Eugene got to hell.  HIs close encounter with suicide may very well have offered him inside information into the supernatural world.  

That's a fair point. We can put this on hold until we find Eugene's rotting corpse (or lack of).

On 14/08/2017 at 3:10 PM, Quoth said:

No idea. T'was a wild extrapolation on my part. I presumed that once turned into a vampire, one doesn't age from that point onwards and one's physical state becomes static. Hence my guess that one wouldn't die and the cancer would remain, getting neither better nor worse.

That would be a shitty scenarion for him to be in. Would also justify heavy blood consumption. Looks like he's fine at the moment.

16 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Agreed.... the more absurd this show is, the better... when they try to ground it --normalize it-- thats when it gets blah.

At first I thought the drunk guy was maybe "Brad" and that he was comic spoiler

one of the "pure" descendants of Jesus

. I'm curious as to what Brad was though.

38 minutes ago, Quoth said:

Good ep this week. Herr Star, Featherstone and Hoover are killing it. :lol: Loved when the "professionals" showed up. :rofl:

Thankfully not as graphic as in the comic. I was glad they set it up with him essentially planning on doing something similar to that woman he was in the restaurant with. Without that I'd have felt more uncomfortable about using that scenario for laughs. The weird thing with TV Herr Starr is that while it wasn't what he planned, it may have been something within his dark tastes.

17 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Agreed.... the more absurd this show is, the better... when they try to ground it --normalize it-- thats when it gets blah.

Yes, this.  I love the show at it's most absurd.  The mega slow pacing is killing the absurdity.  I think you can get craziest when the story moves fast.  It seems there hasn't been any forward movement in the show for several episodes now and that makes me not want to tune in.  It's like they don't trust they'll have enough story to tell. 

I wonder if the Saint touching Tulip transferred some sort of powers to her and it's not just PTSD she's experiencing.  She was pointing the gun towards the ceiling as though she had some sort of feeling that the danger would come from above, and as we saw, that was true.  This is probably reaching too far, but then she was looking out the window as though waiting for something and seemed disappointed when she turned away (and then missed that bomb drop).  

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

@red snow

Brad was the drone.

the sun was shining on the screen so never read what BRAD on the drone stood for. So it was just a drone?

I was hoping it crashed right into the swamp destroying a van that a certain Saint is trapped in. That'd be a fun way of bringing him back.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yes, this.  I love the show at it's most absurd.  The mega slow pacing is killing the absurdity.  I think you can get craziest when the story moves fast.  It seems there hasn't been any forward movement in the show for several episodes now and that makes me not want to tune in.  It's like they don't trust they'll have enough story to tell. 

I wonder if the Saint touching Tulip transferred some sort of powers to her and it's not just PTSD she's experiencing.  She was pointing the gun towards the ceiling as though she had some sort of feeling that the danger would come from above, and as we saw, that was true.  This is probably reaching too far, but then she was looking out the window as though waiting for something and seemed disappointed when she turned away (and then missed that bomb drop).  

That's a good idea regarding Tulip. It doesn't make sense she's so screwed up over this one encounter but maybe the Saint has transferred something to her. Maybe as a crafty insurance clause or something. It would certainly make up for her behaviour of late.

I also agree this show is more fun when it isn't static.

In the comics, Jesus had multiple children which The Grail bred through the generations to keep the Christ bloodline pure. It is not clear at the moment why they practised inbreeding on the show, unless Jesus was lying about being a virgin and had other children aiside from the one we saw. Maybe they only decided inbreeding was the way go after the original child had children?

33 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Jesus and Humperdoo both played by the lead singer of All American Rejects.  :laugh:

So how is this show on AMC?  I thought they had a more midwestern / rural / red state demographic that would hate this show.

I think the red state thing only applies to The Walking Dead which is their most popular show. They got into making televison with Mad Men and Breaking Bad which both took a long time to grow audiences and obviously didn't appeal to the same demo. TWD aside they have mostly had critically acclaimed shows with comparatively low viewership (BB only got big at the very end) and shows which have a mixed reception that seem to survive by the skin of their teeth like Preacher, Turn, Halt and Catch Fire.

On 23/08/2017 at 9:19 PM, Morpheus said:

In the comics, Jesus had multiple children which The Grail bred through the generations to keep the Christ bloodline pure. It is not clear at the moment why they practised inbreeding on the show

Yeah, that was a pretty important element to leave out. They should probably have had Mary give birth to (non-identical) twins - that would make the potential for inbreeding more obvious.

On 23/08/2017 at 3:36 AM, Knight of Ashes said:

It's often a disappointment when one meets one's heroes (or messiah).

BTW Inbreeding? Did that mean Jesus' kid had siblings, or did God impregnate the child and so on and so forth?

they'd start once the son of son of god had kids. In fly genetics, we call it a backcross.

The show should have mentioned "keeping the line pure" or something to that affect.

Herr Starr and Jesse worked well together. I also like the female grail agent

• 2 weeks later...

This ep held my interest, at least. Rather dark turns here and there.  Not much of a cliff hanger, tho.

I've not read the graphic novel(s). Is the show running more or less along the lines of the written canon?

On 13/09/2017 at 1:54 AM, Quoth said:

I've not read the graphic novel(s). Is the show running more or less along the lines of the written canon?

Definitely less. It takes significant elements from the comics, but it's very much doing its own thing with them.

Archived