Morpheus

Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

372 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I just don't get it.  How does sending someone (presumably) through an actual door that exists somehow translate to making cancer cells disappear?  They aren't similar at all.  

I get why you think Hell commands work but I'm having trouble understanding your acceptance of how other commands simply wouldn't work. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on the robustness of the show's rules.

We can cure cancer, cancer cells die and our bodies can kill cancer cells. We might not know how to make our immune system attack cancer but I'm guessing people in the show don't have a map/manual on how to appear in Hell. Therefore telling someone to be cured of cancer, to me seems just as likely as someone appearing in Hell. Curing cancer is not impossible therefore the voice should be able to fix it in much the same way as hell is real (in the show) therefore the voice can send you there. It requires a bending of chance in the sense you really luck out and suddenly your immune system and your cancer cells result in all the cancer cells dying at once but it's not impossible. It's more possible than a person being able to fly of their own accord as well so to me would be in the realms of working. Now in absolute fairness to the show - we don't know whether "I want you to be cured of cancer" would work or not. It isn't even a question that's came about in the show so until it is covered I guess no-one knows the answer. But that still highlights how I really don't get the rules of the voice.

Going back to the flying command. Why didn't Cassidy disappear and find himself in an aeroplane? Teleportation is only "reasonable" when going to hell? Because that's the way everyone goes to hell? Besides Eugene, everyone else in "hell" got there via death (I don't think Hitler disappeared - unless he did in the TV world), not via some portal into hell. So for me it's a stretch as Eugene should have at least dropped down dead before finding himself in hell as surely that's the easiest way to get there?

For me, the show has not defined the power of the voice very well. At this point the only thing I can trust about it is that you have to hear it and have a soul (which is a cool addition). That seems to be consistent. In terms of what the voice can and can't do - I have no idea as to me the "hell" thing makes the voice far more powerful than I initially thought. This could be used in interesting ways and I really want to see it be tested a bit more. So it would have been nice to see what happens if he told Dennis' cancer to "go away".

18 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I have to wonder if it's different in the comic and that's where the confusion is from?  

Not so much confusion but the rules regarding the voice are more specific and far less powerful.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Going back to the flying command. Why didn't Cassidy disappear and find himself in an aeroplane? Teleportation is only "reasonable" when going to hell? Because that's the way everyone goes to hell? Besides Eugene, everyone else in "hell" got there via death (I don't think Hitler disappeared - unless he did in the TV world), not via some portal into hell. So for me it's a stretch as Eugene should have at least dropped down dead before finding himself in hell as surely that's the easiest way to get there?

No, we know there is a bus stop to get to hell and back.  There is a portal.  We've seen it used.  It barely matters how everyone else in hell got there because we know Eugene isn't supposed to be there, meaning he almost surely didn't get there by typical means.

I don't know why you think Eugene teleported.  Preacher had his back turned when he issued that command. We didn't see Eugene disappear into thin air.  We don't know how Eugene got to hell.  HIs close encounter with suicide may very well have offered him inside information into the supernatural world.  

But yeah, agree to disagree.  We'll find out sooner or later.  I'm sure we'll see even more people freely coming and going to hell and maybe heaven too, because it's already been clear that are portals.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:00 AM, red snow said:

Have they said being a vampire means living in constant pain?

No idea. T'was a wild extrapolation on my part. I presumed that once turned into a vampire, one doesn't age from that point onwards and one's physical state becomes static. Hence my guess that one wouldn't die and the cancer would remain, getting neither better nor worse.

Much better episode. Herr Star, Featherstone and Hoover are working well so far, and the closer they stick to the comics the better it seems. Dennis acting like a defiant teenager was pretty funny. When he slammed the door and Cassidy gave the how dare you I was cracking up. :lol:

18 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Much better episode. Herr Star, Featherstone and Hoover are working well so far, and the closer they stick to the comics the better it seems. Dennis acting like a defiant teenager was pretty funny. When he slammed the door and Cassidy gave the how dare you I was cracking up. :lol:

Agreed.... the more absurd this show is, the better... when they try to ground it --normalize it-- thats when it gets blah.

Good ep this week. Herr Star, Featherstone and Hoover are killing it. :lol: Loved when the "professionals" showed up. :rofl:

Not enjoying Tulip's storyline, such as it is. And can someone please drag Cassidy back into the show?

On 14/08/2017 at 3:06 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

I don't know why you think Eugene teleported.  Preacher had his back turned when he issued that command. We didn't see Eugene disappear into thin air.  We don't know how Eugene got to hell.  HIs close encounter with suicide may very well have offered him inside information into the supernatural world.  

That's a fair point. We can put this on hold until we find Eugene's rotting corpse (or lack of).

On 14/08/2017 at 3:10 PM, Quoth said:

No idea. T'was a wild extrapolation on my part. I presumed that once turned into a vampire, one doesn't age from that point onwards and one's physical state becomes static. Hence my guess that one wouldn't die and the cancer would remain, getting neither better nor worse.

That would be a shitty scenarion for him to be in. Would also justify heavy blood consumption. Looks like he's fine at the moment.

16 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Agreed.... the more absurd this show is, the better... when they try to ground it --normalize it-- thats when it gets blah.

At first I thought the drunk guy was maybe "Brad" and that he was comic spoiler

one of the "pure" descendants of Jesus

. I'm curious as to what Brad was though.

38 minutes ago, Quoth said:

Good ep this week. Herr Star, Featherstone and Hoover are killing it. :lol: Loved when the "professionals" showed up. :rofl:

Thankfully not as graphic as in the comic. I was glad they set it up with him essentially planning on doing something similar to that woman he was in the restaurant with. Without that I'd have felt more uncomfortable about using that scenario for laughs. The weird thing with TV Herr Starr is that while it wasn't what he planned, it may have been something within his dark tastes.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

@red snow

Brad was the drone.

Yep, Brad was short for  Battle-ready Remote-operated Aerial Drone.

17 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yes, this.  I love the show at it's most absurd.  The mega slow pacing is killing the absurdity.  I think you can get craziest when the story moves fast.  It seems there hasn't been any forward movement in the show for several episodes now and that makes me not want to tune in.  It's like they don't trust they'll have enough story to tell. 

I wonder if the Saint touching Tulip transferred some sort of powers to her and it's not just PTSD she's experiencing.  She was pointing the gun towards the ceiling as though she had some sort of feeling that the danger would come from above, and as we saw, that was true.  This is probably reaching too far, but then she was looking out the window as though waiting for something and seemed disappointed when she turned away (and then missed that bomb drop).  

Edited by Dr. Pepper

I think they should make a Herr Star spin off. Plus a Cassidy spin off. Then go back and remove Tulip from all previous Preacher episodes.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

@red snow

Brad was the drone.

the sun was shining on the screen so never read what BRAD on the drone stood for. So it was just a drone?

I was hoping it crashed right into the swamp destroying a van that a certain Saint is trapped in. That'd be a fun way of bringing him back.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yes, this.  I love the show at it's most absurd.  The mega slow pacing is killing the absurdity.  I think you can get craziest when the story moves fast.  It seems there hasn't been any forward movement in the show for several episodes now and that makes me not want to tune in.  It's like they don't trust they'll have enough story to tell. 

I wonder if the Saint touching Tulip transferred some sort of powers to her and it's not just PTSD she's experiencing.  She was pointing the gun towards the ceiling as though she had some sort of feeling that the danger would come from above, and as we saw, that was true.  This is probably reaching too far, but then she was looking out the window as though waiting for something and seemed disappointed when she turned away (and then missed that bomb drop).  

That's a good idea regarding Tulip. It doesn't make sense she's so screwed up over this one encounter but maybe the Saint has transferred something to her. Maybe as a crafty insurance clause or something. It would certainly make up for her behaviour of late.

I also agree this show is more fun when it isn't static.