Morpheus

Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

397 posts in this topic

The ending was a bummer, Preacher is at heart a road story and I have little interest in following the exploits at Anneville. Knew it was coming because of the bizarre choice of relocating Quincannon there as a first season antagonist (high up on the list of characters who could have been cut completely) but that doesn't make it any better. 

I liked Cassiday and Tulip (even with the changes) but am not sold on Jesse. I much prefer Jesse telling off his congregation to him commiting to being a better preacher. The congregation members don't look like they will be adding much, the small town aspect does not look promising. 

Edited by Morpheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it seemed like show Jesse has retained a lot more faith in God and his own profession than the comic version does.

Oh yeah, I liked the shout-out with the Ratwater whiskey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah they went way too hard with Jesse as a conflicted man of faith, even turning his dad into a preacher so we get drama about living up to his pappy. I prefer a Jesse determined to stick a boot up God's ass. The show had a lot of violence, and they understandably cut the perverse sexuality, but one thing the premiere didn't answer was whether or not it would embrace the gleeful sacrilege of the comic.

I noticed the shout out, I wonder if they will be completely faithful to the Saint and the image is part of urban legend. I have a feeling he won't be in the first season, I think that his casting we would have heard about.

Edited by Morpheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never having read the comics, the first episode was bonkers, funny yet dramatic enough to keep me watching. I thought it was quite entertaining, especially the comic-style location captions. And Tulip building a home-made rocket launcher with the help of two kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.  I've never read the comics, but I was told by @Kalbear that I would like Cassidy and he was right :) This show is crazy insane, and kinda right up my alley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Never having read the comics, the first episode was bonkers, funny yet dramatic enough to keep me watching. I thought it was quite entertaining, especially the comic-style location captions. And Tulip building a home-made rocket launcher with the help of two kids.

All this. I haven't read the comics either but really enjoyed the first episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it was a solid premiere. Cassidy is absolutely perfect and I like Tulip and Jesse even if they're not quite how I pictured them.

I do share the concern of not having them out on the road though. Guess we'll see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pleasanty surprised. It's definitely an interpretation of the comic rather than a direct translation (adaptation used to suffice but people seem to equate that with being the same) but it was pretty entertaining and, most importantly, different from anything else on TV at the moment. There were elements of Kingsman (action and zanyness) but also a few shots that reminded me of "breaking bad's" quirky moments (could be the desert setting).

The cast introductions were all great and Eugene doesn't come off as a joke but was surpisingly heartfelt.

I'll be watching the next episode and encoraging friends to check it out too.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Thought it was a solid premiere. Cassidy is absolutely perfect and I like Tulip and Jesse even if they're not quite how I pictured them.

I do share the concern of not having them out on the road though. Guess we'll see.  

It could be a second season element - although given the flashbacks in the pilot, I'd be surprised if we don't get a visit to Jesse's family this season (bad form to introduce a plot element in the pilot and not address it that season).

 

18 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Yeah they went way too hard with Jesse as a conflicted man of faith, even turning his dad into a preacher so we get drama about living up to his pappy. I prefer a Jesse determined to stick a boot up God's ass. The show had a lot of violence, and they understandably cut the perverse sexuality, but one thing the premiere didn't answer was whether or not it would embrace the gleeful sacrilege of the comic.

I noticed the shout out, I wonder if they will be completely faithful to the Saint and the image is part of urban legend. I have a feeling he won't be in the first season, I think that his casting we would have heard about.

Bleeding cool site has some spoilers you might want to check out as a reader of the comics ;)

I agree that Jesse didn't seem as pissed off with God as the comic version. The showrunners have said this season is like a pseudo prequel or filler between issue 1 and them hitting the road. It might make a nice arc to see Jesse try and make things work only for it all to go to shit and decide he has to take god to task leading into season 2. Which would be a clever way of dodging too much contoversy right off the bat. I haven't heard much rage yet but guess it's only a matter if time, Isn't there a mums group that likes to get shows like lucifer banned, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Preacher adaptation which doesn't offend Christians is a failure. You can cut a lot of the juvenile humor and sexual perversion but not the irreverent approach to Christian myth, might as well do Sandman without all that dream stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

A Preacher adaptation which doesn't offend Christians is a failure. You can cut a lot of the juvenile humor and sexual perversion but not the irreverent approach to Christian myth, might as well do Sandman without all that dream stuff.

Genesis is still there and Jesse's faith is wavering but it has a long way to go before it even reaches mild levels of the comics' offensiveness. Although there was potential when it looked like the grail may be involved although a cast check suggested they are different characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never read the comics, but I did enjoy the first episode of the AMC show.

I'm only passingly aware of it, but are you guys saying that the main thrust of the comics is mostly to be offensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The story is inherently sacrilegious as God is portrayed in a very negative light. There isn't any way to remove that element and be remotely true to the source. That is about all I can say without spoilers. Offense doesn't have to be the goal but if they make drastic changes in the hopes of NOT offending, then one would have to wonder why they even bothered.

Edited by Morpheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

I've never read the comics, but I did enjoy the first episode of the AMC show.

I'm only passingly aware of it, but are you guys saying that the main thrust of the comics is mostly to be offensive?

Ennis is well known for his shock comics (I can see how a lot of his work could appeal to Seth Rogen) and there's often a puerile comedy vein running through them. He can do more and he mixes some depth in terms of characters and themes in with the PReacher comic so it's not all about arseface and inbreeding rednecks.

Obviously the religious commentary in the comic can't be anything but offensive if you are christian but mileage may vary if you're not. There's no way Ennis could have done the grail without an intention to offend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Wert + others - pretty crazy premiere, it had me laughing more than a few times.  Bonkers, that's about as good a description as I've heard.  "Who likes arts and crafts?". 

I'm giving it a chance for sure - never read the comics either, so I have nothing to be "ruined".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was surprisingly enjoyable.  I saw the first trailer and then heard that there was a supernatural fantasy element to it that seemed lost, so I was reluctant to watch it.  I was glad to see the supernatural is there in all it's ridiculous glory.  I'm glad that the kid with the asshole face was meant to have a face that looked like an asshole because I kept glancing over at my imaginary friend asking "is it..., that's a..., it is right?"  

I'm looking forward to seeing where this show goes and am nearly tempted to read the comics.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm glad that the kid with the asshole face was meant to have a face that looked like an asshole because I kept glancing over at my imaginary friend asking "is it..., that's a..., it is right?"

Back when it was going to be a movie the makeup was a lot more faithful to the comic: http://www.geek.com/news/first-look-at-arseface-and-cassidy-from-amcs-preacher-tv-pilot-1632099/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I found AMC's Arsehole face difficult to look at, even more so than the proposed movie version.  One can't help but tightly clench their own asshole when they see it.  It's very uncomfortable, not just because it looks like someone's anus or because he's sucking down a disgusting raw meat diarrhea-colored shake (omg, who else gagged at that?), but also because it's really uncomfortable to watch something that sort of appears to be making a mockery of something serious like suicide.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The clue's in the name regarding Arseface. I think they had to go that direction as it at least leaves the actor with the upper half of his face to act with. If it had been an exact replica of the comic there'd be little for the actor to emote with.

But the comic was essentially making a mockery of suicide too. At least in the show the kid was showing some sign of remorse as well as suggesting his family/social services/preacher/god failed him. They also haven't told us why he tried to kill himself. I really hope it isn't the same motive as in the comic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never even heard anyone mention his name (though I'm assume Arseface is not his actual name nor what people call him to his face).  Actually, I didn't catch anyone's name so half the time reading these posts I have no idea who anyone is talking about.  It usually takes me a couple of episodes to sort out the cast, unless I go do some side reading, which I'll probably do eventually for this show.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, red snow said:

Obviously the religious commentary in the comic can't be anything but offensive if you are christian but mileage may vary if you're not. There's no way Ennis could have done the grail without an intention to offend.

The Grail isn't even the worst of it. Consider The Saint of Killers last encounter with God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now