Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Romance #2

lady narcissa

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I have not read the books in question but I think the above definition is what people are referring to. This board has been dead lately.

Past few months have been pretty dry on UF.  I did read Harmony Black by Craig Schaefer.  It's like a darker X-Files, and Harmony is pretty badass (more so because, unlike her counterpart Daniel Faust, she doesn't have a superpowerful demon warrior backing her up).

7 hours ago, Mandy said:

Would still appreciate some feedback on the above.

I've got the second Kelly Gay book now, but haven't had a chance to finish it. I know Lisa Shearin's newest book (first in a while I think) in her Raine Benares series is out - Wedding Bells, Magic Spells?  I'm sure I'll pick it up since I did like the others enough.

How is the Raine Benares series?  Is the titular character allowed to actually kick ass and accomplish things on her own, or does she need to be helped along by the male characters in her orbit?  I flipped through the second SPI Files book (because it was there) and early on the main character there was useless after being attacked by a low level mook, while her male partner is some badass superagent.  Didn't get that far before I figured that that wasn't the kind of book I was looking for.

1 hour ago, Puntificator said:

Have you seen Drake by Peter McLean, which came out in January, and is the first book of The Burned Man series? It's really good unless you dislike dark urban fantasy with an antihero as protagonist.

This is like a parody of the dark UF with a down-on-his-luck antiheroic protagonist subgenre.  It's hilarious.

7 hours ago, Mars447 said:

9 hours ago, Puntificator said:

Have you seen Drake by Peter McLean, which came out in January, and is the first book of The Burned Man series? It's really good unless you dislike dark urban fantasy with an antihero as protagonist.

This is like a parody of the dark UF with a down-on-his-luck antiheroic protagonist subgenre.  It's hilarious.

I just looked up the synopsis for that and it is so clichéd and scattershot I honestly thought it was a joke.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I just looked up the synopsis for that and it is so clichéd and scattershot I honestly thought it was a joke.

It's pretty short.  I blew through it and... it gets better?  Kind of.  At least it leaves off in a place that could be somewhat less laughably cliched.

That said, the female lead gets one establishing action moment and then proceeds to need to be saved through the rest of the book.  And there's a lot of "shrieking" and "screeching".  Jesus, McNeal.

The fourth Alex Craft book came out last week, "Grave Visions" by Kalayna Price.  The author had problems writing it and there were a multitude of release dates pushed back so I wasn't sure if the book would suffer from the delay but it did not.  Quite a seamless continuation of the previous book and I enjoyed it.  This continues to be a solid urban fantasy series.  I like the emphasis on the fae and this book spends quite a bit more time in their territory and dealing with the repercussions that Alex is facing from her heritage.  Because of the progression in that aspect of the story, Alex's personal relationships are sort of pushed to the backburner but there was enough going on in this story that it felt right to just hold off on those for this book.

5 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Because of the progression in that aspect of the story, Alex's personal relationships are sort of pushed to the backburner but there was enough going on in this story that it felt right to just hold off on those for this book.

Please, please let her dump Falin 4 evah. #elfhate  :D

I might pick this one up since they were nice enough urbans for a quick read. I quite liked her family issues as well as I am a sucker for good ole family drama. Bring on the complications of blood relations!

Mandy, I meant to reply to you about the internalised sexism thing, but the board is so borked I can't post from my phone or from home, and only with great difficulty from work via Firefox, which sometimes works. So I have to email myself replies and post during lunch break and stuff. Sucks.

3 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Please, please let her dump Falin 4 evah. #elfhate  :D

I might pick this one up since they were nice enough urbans for a quick read. I quite liked her family issues as well as I am a sucker for good ole family drama. Bring on the complications of blood relations!

Mandy, I meant to reply to you about the internalised sexism thing, but the board is so borked I can't post from my phone or from home, and only with great difficulty from work via Firefox, which sometimes works. So I have to email myself replies and post during lunch break and stuff. Sucks.

Try clearing your cache. That seems to fix a lot of problems since the update.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Try clearing your cache. That seems to fix a lot of problems since the update.

Ya, that sorted out Firefox, or mostly does. Chrome is just fkn dead tho. Ah well.

I blame the elves. Sod those vicious bastards!

Fascinating! I am, ... um, ... not a Clare fan, but from my uneducated legal perspective this looks a lot like total crap. The mark mistakenly printed on some of Clare's books seems to me like the most concrete thing they've got and sure it's a little bit unfortunate, but come on: that's a pretty good-sized publisher fuckup; how is it Clare's fault? The tropes Kenyon seems to be implicitly claiming some ownership over are laughably broad universal narrative tools, to the point where it strikes me as rather arrogant and makes me a little bit mad. This is pretty pathetic.

5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

DR,some good news for you,i know you'll enjoy this! :D - http://www.themarysue.com/shadowhunters-lawsuit/

At the end of the article is a link to painstaking detective work someone did to show what a friggin unapologetic plagiarist CC is. I had no idea it was so expansive. I knew about the HP fanfic and how Mortal Instruments was a Ginny/Draco story. 

Disclaimer: I've read all six of those terrible books because sometimes I like to read terrible books. If there's one good thing to say about this series, between the books, movies and television show, is that it brought me to Aidan Turner who I knew nothing about until I saw him in TMI movie. 

Yeah I don't need to click on the link to know what a huge plagiarist CC is.I've read all about it before. Heck I'll bet I even know what article it links to at the bottom. Lets see if I'm right...

Yup, that second link.

The cyberbullying thing is also...I'll let you all read through that if you want.

Also for extra eww wtfness, TMI was originally ginny/ron slash.

Archived