What does Stannis do if he wins the battle of ice?

Assuming that Stannis prevails at winterfell and all the North gather under his banner, where does he go from there?

Obviously he's sent for reinforcements in terms of trying to hire sellsword companies but that's going to take a while.

But what do you think his plan is going forward and ultimately too conquer the other six kingdoms.

I somehow suspect it's going to be a rather Pyrrhic victory for Stannis. Even if he does crush Bolton, his army is still going to be in a land where it can't sustain itself for very long and still freezing to death. Not to mention I doubt the Northern lords will have much use for him all of the sudden.

If Stannis does take Winterfell, I doubt the Northern Lords will rush to his side anyway. I mean they'll probably be very confused, they've been fighting on two different sides of a war, now Stannis just comes along and demands they stick to his side, I imagine they are all sick of fighting for a war in which their cause died with Robb Stark.

BUT! Saying all that I think Stannis has plans to implement with Rickon, mainly to unite the North that way, obviously his original intention was to do that with Jon Snow. From there? It's hard to guess but he either goes back North or marches South. :dunno:

I think Stannis will wipe out the Bolton's then die before he turns his forces South. I'm not so sure he'll still be living when the White Walkers breach the Wall. I also have a feeling that the Northern House's won't join him once Winterfell is taken. They really don't give a crap about what goes on in the South. Perhaps he'll get killed by a Northern Lord when he tries force them to kneel and serve his cause?

Rally his men, and all who will declare for him. Lay siege on Winterfell and wait for it to collapse from the inside as more and more Stark bannermen get fed up with Warden Trollton. After Winterfell, install a Stark, take stock of his forces, resettle the Wildlings, man the wall, raise more armies and dig in for the White Walkers.

I really don't see him marching South at this point. The GC has the Stormlands under wrap, with Dorne soon to declare. The Vale is neutral. The Crown is still in power. The Riverlands are a ruin. The Ironborn are doing Ironborn things. Probably best to prepare for the winter and let the South weaken itself with more protracted combat.

Completely agree with Pox Americana. Stannis will take Winterfell then head north to deal with the white walkers. We know that he's aware of them and deems them a threat so there's no way he'll go anywhere but north.

Finish off Boltons and Iron Men (in the North only) send emissary to Vale to increase food, supplies, and personnel to fight the Others, including inviting witnesses from the Vale to see Wights with their own eyes. Send word to Riverlands that anyone loyal to Tullys and Starks are welcome in the North. Establish rookery at Winterfell to broaden, deepen comms and intel. Just top of mind...gotta run

I don't think that the northern lords would just throw Stannis aside. He is the only southern person to actually care about the north and decide to help it. Stannis helped the Nights Watch, which no other northern lord did. Stannis is also fighting to stop the Bolton rule, which from the text we know that every northern lord hates the Boltons but are afraid of them.

I just don't see the north betraying Stannis if he defeats the Boltons.

It sets up so nicely for Stannis to pull off a huge upset ridding the North of the betrayers then having every house abandon him for whichever Stark returns first. Then Stannis retreats to the NF ,shuns R'Hollor, and goes over to ice making him the NK 2.0 eventually fulfilling Dany's vision of facing a blue eyed king (a Baratheon no less) at the Trident where Dany uses her dragons to beat down on the WW army. Stannis is about to pull off an ingenious victory and then be abandoned by the North to the man in favor of a Stark girl married to a Lannister (or LF lol) or a small child known to consort with cannibals. Stannis is iron, he'll break before bending and that'll be the moment he breaks and joins the dark side. It's possibly the theory I'm most confident about coming true.

I feel like people are underestimating the weather. 10 feet of snow, half his army died on the way to winterfell. He has no choice but to stay there for winter, but Idk what the food supplies look like there.

As for the north desposing of stannis, idk. It would be stupid of them to declare rickon king. They don't have enough power to overthrow stannis and fight the armies to the south, even without the snow. It might do them better just to keep him around, as long as he doesn't expect them to march through 200 leagues of increasing blizzard conditions.

First of all, damn you for giving me hope that Stannis can survive his predicament! His victory in the battle of Ice is so unlikely that there has to be other forces at play for him to not only win his upcoming battle, but also mount a siege on WF. And those forces reserve the right to remove any loose ends wether they Baratheon, Bolton, or Frey.

One cannot ignore the potential threat of all those dead men getting back up to fight an entirely different and darker cause.

Then we have what looks like a huge Northern conspiracy, keeping their cards close to their chest. Surely they will not abide a Southeren ruler any longer than absolutely necessary? If Stannis isn't prompt he may be evicted altogether.

Then there are the actions of the NW and FF at the wall. Pandemonium would be an understatement. Stannis' biggest ally in the North is arguably JS. Without whom, he would of most likely botched the entire operation. Somehow, I don't see Mr. Snow being in any position to advise or help. Not directly anyway.

If by some miracle Stannis pulls off an incredible victory then he must take WF and hold it for a Stark and until he has his mercenaries. A feat so fraught with danger that it's difficult to even speculate on. The biggest problem for the Baratheon/Stark fairy tale ending is that all of its heroes are far too eager to die. Manderly, Mountain clans even Stannis himself seems completely at ease with dying for this folly. It would be naive to suggest that no one has noticed this and is using it to their advantage. I suppose that once the Boltons are dealt with there will be an empty Dreadfort... But the only King in the North can be a Stark King. A king of Westeros shouldnt linger for too long. Meaning; Stannis needs to be quick and lucky.

I like the idea that he'd head for the Iron Islands to encourage them to finish their reaving and come meet him for battle. Possibly via the neck, but dealing with the Twins would be costly. Perhaps the Feys would be obliged to align themselves with the victor. Say what you want about the Freys (seriously, fire away) but they are flexible. Though Stannis may not be so eager to try their salt and bread as the Young Wolf did.

Sorry about the massive post, I could talk 'Stan' all day. It's not likely he'll win anything, but overall whatever he does he must be quick in order to create a power base that can survive the Winter.

1) Win the Battle of Ice. I imagine using the beacon fire he's had burning night and day to attract his enemies to his position, where they'll ride across the weakened ice lakes to their deaths.

2) Get into Winterfell. I imagine using the ravens he took off the maester, which he knows are capable of sending false information to Roose. Send news of his defeat, and likely send some men in Frey and Karstark uniforms back to Winterfell with Lightbringer as proof of their victory (explaining the Pink Letter). Have said men take over the castle and/or open the gates for the rest of Stannis' army.

3) Sort out whatever is going on at the Wall in the aftermath of Jon's stabbing. His heir, wife and Melisandre are all in danger, not to mention the greatest defense against the Others.

After that, who knows. Depends on when the Others strike, how quickly Massey can get the sellsword army together, how people react to the news of Stannis' death, how Davos and Rickon influence things, etc.

First of all, damn you for giving me hope that Stannis can survive his predicament! His victory in the battle of Ice is so unlikely that there has to be other forces at play for him to not only win his upcoming battle, but also mount a siege on WF. And those forces reserve the right to remove any loose ends wether they Baratheon, Bolton, or Frey.

One cannot ignore the potential threat of all those dead men getting back up to fight an entirely different and darker cause.

Then we have what looks like a huge Northern conspiracy, keeping their cards close to their chest. Surely they will not abide a Southeren ruler any longer than absolutely necessary? If Stannis isn't prompt he may be evicted altogether.

Then there are the actions of the NW and FF at the wall. Pandemonium would be an understatement. Stannis' biggest ally in the North is arguably JS. Without whom, he would of most likely botched the entire operation. Somehow, I don't see Mr. Snow being in any position to advise or help. Not directly anyway.

If by some miracle Stannis pulls off an incredible victory then he must take WF and hold it for a Stark and until he has his mercenaries. A feat so fraught with danger that it's difficult to even speculate on. The biggest problem for the Baratheon/Stark fairy tale ending is that all of its heroes are far too eager to die. Manderly, Mountain clans even Stannis himself seems completely at ease with dying for this folly. It would be naive to suggest that no one has noticed this and is using it to their advantage. I suppose that once the Boltons are dealt with there will be an empty Dreadfort... But the only King in the North can be a Stark King. A king of Westeros shouldnt linger for too long. Meaning; Stannis needs to be quick and lucky.

I like the idea that he'd head for the Iron Islands to encourage them to finish their reaving and come meet him for battle. Possibly via the neck, but dealing with the Twins would be costly. Perhaps the Feys would be obliged to align themselves with the victor. Say what you want about the Freys (seriously, fire away) but they are flexible. Though Stannis may not be so eager to try their salt and bread as the Young Wolf did.

Sorry about the massive post, I could talk 'Stan' all day. It's not likely he'll win anything, but overall whatever he does he must be quick in order to create a power base that can survive the Winter.

Haven't you read the night lamp theory? I don't agree with a lot of it, but it explains quite well how Stannis plans to defeat the Boltons and take Winterfell.

Regardless his victory in the Battle of Ice is close to certain, after that I suspect he will use Karstarks, Manderlys, and his own men disguised as Frey's and prisoners to take Winterfell (though whether this will work or not IDK).

I don't see him fighting the Ironborn, he has a couple of Asha's ships, and maybe a few Momont, Ryswell, Dustin and Flint ships on the west coast he may one day get access to, his only real prospective fleet is the Manderly fleet, and unless he transports it 100's miles overland to the west coast it won't be much good against the Ironborn.

Personally I believe the Battle of Blackwater 2.0 theory, or some of it at least, Manderly's ships have been introduced for a reason, King's Landing is the obvious place to attack, and it is an important target for Stannis/Shireen/Jon/Rickon/Bran.

Bottom line; don't hold your breath for him winning in the end, but don't give up on him yet.

I agree with dolorous. I like stannis, but I don't like his odds. I do think he will take winterfell, because even though he doesn't know it, he has men inside. But dolorous, your right, the freys would join stannis, but then the northerners would definetly conspire against him.

Archived