Impressions and Commentary on the Season 5 Premiere

Westeros

After watching the leaked episodes I have a couple of impressions.

The overall impression is that I don't really like the extent to which they deviated from the books.

SPOILERS (SORT OF) AHEAD!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

My biggest peeve is with how they cut Aegon and co out of season 5. In the books, this was how we were introduced to Varys' master plan. For Varys, being a major player in the show and also knowing how he likes to be in control, it doesn't make sense that D&D completely cut out Aegon and replace him with Daenerys. Daenerys is too much of a wildcard and Varys should know this. It would be out of character for him to support her when he knows that he can't control her actions. That is why his entire plan was Aegon. Regardless of what you think of the man identity wise, he's just too damn important to the current story to cut out completely. His mere existence and how the major players react to him (weather real or not) will shape the direction of the (ironically) "Game of Thrones" aspect of the story. This is why I have faith that he'll appear in Season 6 (hopefully with the Greyjoy brothers).

My other peeve is with how they merged the Jeyne Poole with Sansa. Simply put, Sansa has a lot of developing to do as Littlefinger's protege and I think that making her Ramsay's bride (the "fake Arya" if you will) would act as an impediment to that steady development.

I was originally pissed off that they cut Arianne, however, I guess it makes some sense for Ellaria Sand to play that role in leading the sand snakes (when shit hit the fan, I suppose Tyene Sand could serve Arianne's role if/hopefully when Aegon appears).

For what it's worth, D&D could have made this season a straight up adaptation of Feast, leaving season 6 to handle Dance. Just my ultimately worthless 2 cents though.

Does anyone think that Jon would care in any way, shape or form that R+L=J? He's said the NW is his family on multiple occasions and acts like he sincerely believes it. It may tell us and him where he comes from but it has literally no influence on anything, except how Dany might feel about him but there is no guarantee they'll even see each other in the story.

Jon having dragon blood would be a huge deal, especially since Danny can't control her dragons by herself. Don't think potentially being a bastard of R has any affect on how Dany's pets would react to Jon. And if he is in fact son of R & L then it's probably quite likely he and Dany will eventually cross paths. No point of putting that plot device in there (book n show) if it's of no importance. Also lets not automatically assume he is a bastard, considering the mention of multiple wives by the Tageryans and the Knights watch guarding the tower.

After watching the leaked episodes I have a couple of impressions.

The overall impression is that I don't really like the extent to which they deviated from the books.

SPOILERS (SORT OF) AHEAD!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

My biggest peeve is with how they cut Aegon and co out of season 5. In the books, this was how we were introduced to Varys' master plan. For Varys, being a major player in the show and also knowing how he likes to be in control, it doesn't make sense that D&D completely cut out Aegon and replace him with Daenerys. Daenerys is too much of a wildcard and Varys should know this. It would be out of character for him to support her when he knows that he can't control her actions. That is why his entire plan was Aegon. Regardless of what you think of the man identity wise, he's just too damn important to the current story to cut out completely. His mere existence and how the major players react to him (weather real or not) will shape the direction of the (ironically) "Game of Thrones" aspect of the story. This is why I have faith that he'll appear in Season 6 (hopefully with the Greyjoy brothers).

My other peeve is with how they merged the Jeyne Poole with Sansa. Simply put, Sansa has a lot of developing to do as Littlefinger's protege and I think that making her Ramsay's bride (the "fake Arya" if you will) would act as an impediment to that steady development.

I was originally pissed off that they cut Arianne, however, I guess it makes some sense for Ellaria Sand to play that role in leading the sand snakes (when shit hit the fan, I suppose Tyene Sand could serve Arianne's role if/hopefully when Aegon appears).

For what it's worth, D&D could have made this season a straight up adaptation of Feast, leaving season 6 to handle Dance. Just my ultimately worthless 2 cents though.

The show can still add/make up info on how Varys has helped Dany behind the scenes. Doesn't make him any less of a player. I watched show with non book readers and none thought it was weird for Dany to be his master plan. After all he ordered Jorah to "spy". He might appear as just another kings landing double agent to many viewers. If Aegon doesn't appear in show it just proves he is either a fake or he dies and his mini rebellion doesn't affect outcome of story. If that's the case, then I don't Blane producers for leaving out of show.

Woefully unimpressed with the way this show will follow the written story now.

Questionably just how hard is it too read a book? Obviously quite impossible for any scriptwriters, producers as they are always so keen upon making their own marks, otherwise assumingly making their own shit up. Some castings need more screen time, so any story begins working around them. Drifting further and further away from a source. Once some get names, any to do, won't do, will do, lists, broadend. Obviously the public understands, this, but definitely not, this, we must tell them what they want. Although to have completely rewriten the story this season, one can only wonder here?

Is this really why he bides his time? Emphatically stating there has been an outline, blessing, consent. Would mean a basically finished, completed story. Although that reasoning, seems somewhat ignorant to these pictures shown within this show. Will there even be a seventh season? This season is so intent on plowing so far ahead into literature not yet published, changing every single detail written within the books sourced presently. Will any eventual, unpublished, picture be the same as on this show? Gauging from this season, one can almost hazard a guess at those odds, seemingly everything upon this show has been remodelled.

It possibly may have been exciting, fantastic, wonderous, not knowing from any readers perspective. However some sceens are often looking so out of place they are seen quite amateurishly. I could provide a longer list of examples of those sceens, seen. These often containing contradiction with each other, to any previous information offered, or they look entirely wrong out of place to the offered concepts. Although what would be the point of any examples presently?

Honestly! What has happened here with this series, this season? Assumptions and rumours will soon set, sweeping, through this show like Wildfire.

Archived