Impressions and Commentary on the Season 5 Premiere

Westeros

the only change that interests me thats been mentioned is the complete removal of the valonqar portion of the prophecy and cersei's death.

Where has this been mentioned?

Whats the purpose of the prophecy then? Just that her children will die?

Just watched the video and I would agree with others that Lynda seems biased against the show - a book fan through and through. It makes sense, as the site was started to appreciate the books.

Me, I just view them all as one big telling of the same story - both now trying to get to the end in the best way possible.

Re the Varys spolier, being a Targ loyalist and all, I'd have to watch the episode but from what was noted in the podcast, it's possible that show Varys and Ilario just became Dany fans over time, during the war of the 5 Kings, or something. As to why Illario is so interested in Westeros, we could also ask why is the iron bank so interested in Westeros. I would say that whatever happens in Westeros, because of the Wall and Others and stuff, has the potential to effect the whole world and some characters know it - they just aren't saying it yet.

Noticed that as well. Kind of funny since he's not supposed to go back to that face but I guess it's better for TV!

It could just be that the kindly man puts on the Jaqen H'ghar face momentarily to show the ability to Arya. Who knows... we'll have to wait and see.

We're not going to ever see any plot line about the Blackfyre Rebellion. We're not going to see any more of the Greyjoy plot line. We're never going to see Bran again and possibly not Sansa and/or Arya after this season. We will never see or hear of Aegon, etc &c.

It's just like when the Lady Stoneheart plot line and the character of Jeyne Westerling were (predictably) cut: some book readers still haven't got it after four years that it is not possible to have all of these minor threads, even some major ones, in a tv show.

For a tv drama to work there has to be good vs. evil, not the utter lack of moral ambiguity as in GRRM's Game of Thrones, and not the nihilism of hundreds of characters. So, HBO's Game of Thrones has narrowed the story to one that is essentially about Tyrion, Dany, and Jon. They're the favorites, it's all about rooting for them, it's why they won't be killed off, why they won't be seen committing outright evil acts, and why every other character is tangential. Or irrelevant.

If it makes it any easier for the book enthusiasts, simply view HBO's Game of Thrones as a different story than GRRM's Game of Thrones. In many ways, HBOs version is better than GRRM's, in others not.

But they can't be the same.

For a tv drama to work there has to be good vs. evil, not the utter lack of moral ambiguity as in GRRM's Game of Thrones, and not the nihilism of hundreds of characters. So, HBO's Game of Thrones has narrowed the story to one that is essentially about Tyrion, Dany, and Jon. They're the favorites, it's all about rooting for them, it's why they won't be killed off, why they won't be seen committing outright evil acts, and why every other character is tangential. Or irrelevant.

If it makes it any easier for the book enthusiasts, simply view HBO's Game of Thrones as a different story than GRRM's Game of Thrones. In many ways, HBOs version is better than GRRM's, in others not.

I agree that they have to be different, though I don't agree with the bolded bit at all.

Have you watched Netflix' House of cards? Define the protagonist in that in good or evil terms. Have you seen HBOs Pacific? Define good and evil in that.

Yes, show Tyrion and show Dany are much more palatable than their book counterparts. Some can call this whitewashing, others, with an imagination, can think that the show is better hiding how the whole thing is gearing up to conclude than the books are.

I agree that they have to be different, though I don't agree with the bolded bit at all.

Have you watched Netflix' House of cards? Define the protagonist in that in good or evil terms. Have you seen HBOs Pacific? Define good and evil in that.

Yes, show Tyrion and show Dany are much more palatable than their book counterparts. Some can call this whitewashing, others, with an imagination, can think that the show is better hiding how the whole thing is gearing up to conclude than the books are.

lol can you imagine if hbo tyrion became a rapist in season 5 like he did in ADWD??

people would flip

lol can you imagine if hbo tyrion became a rapist in season 5 like he did in ADWD??

people would flip

I hope he does, just not until season 6 or 7. I really hope the book and TV series conclude by flipping our expectations of who the heroes and villains are over.

eh that would come across as cheap shock factor tbh

Really? With the tone and twisty turny nature that the series has already established, I would say it would be perfectly in line.

I'd say anything less than either a twisted or shocking (preferably both) conclusion would be disappointing.

We're not going to ever see any plot line about the Blackfyre Rebellion. We're not going to see any more of the Greyjoy plot line. We're never going to see Bran again and possibly not Sansa and/or Arya after this season. We will never see or hear of Aegon, etc &c.

It's just like when the Lady Stoneheart plot line and the character of Jeyne Westerling were (predictably) cut: some book readers still haven't got it after four years that it is not possible to have all of these minor threads, even some major ones, in a tv show.

Uhh, what? Please explain.

They're becoming tangential (geographically removed even) to the plot, which, again, revolves around Tyrion, Dany, and Jon.

Dany, Jon, and Tyrion will be flying dragons at the end.

It's tv.

And my girl Arya will be crossing names off her list. As much as some fans of the show can't wait to see dragons flying and causing havoc others want to see some Stark vengeance.

And my girl Arya will be crossing names off her list. As much as some fans of the show can't wait to see dragons flying and causing havoc others want to see some Stark vengeance.

Yeah, Sansa and Arya are every bit as 'important' or 'popular' characters as the 'big 3'. Most everyone's favorite part of season 4 was the travels and shenanigans of Arya and the Hound. It was great. I can't wait to see a scheming Sansa all grown up and ready to be a player. No way they cut these two Stark girls out.

Yeah, Sansa and Arya are every bit as 'important' or 'popular' characters as the 'big 3'. Most everyone's favorite part of season 4 was the travels and shenanigans of Arya and the Hound. It was great. I can't wait to see a scheming Sansa all grown up and ready to be a player. No way they cut these two Stark girls out.

I'm excited for Sansa too. I used to not enjoy her character too much, but people on here have made me appreciate where her journey is going. The ladies of Stark are going to serve up two different slices of Stark vengance and I can't wait.

If you mention valonquar and say that it means little brother you'll have telegraphed Cersei's death so far in advance that by the time it rolls around people will merely say 'well that was predictable...'. Tv works different from books. Unless it is meant to be predictable who killed Cersei that would be pretty underwhelming for unsullied viewers to play out if they already knew who it was likely to be. Best leave it out and have Jaime or Tyrion make that decision without the weight of prophecy behind it.

A couple of points of clarification, now that I've had a chance to watch episode 1 via a screener:

1) No, valonquar is still not mentioned. However, our recollection that Cersei and her friend left at the end of the scene is not quite right. Instead, her friend is urging her to leave now, while Cersei stares at a laughing Maggy. So it's entirely possible there'll be a follow-up flashback which has Cersei asking a last question and so on.

2) What Varys says specifically is that Illyrio and Varys became acquainted through mutual friends years ago, men who saw as they did that Robert was going to be a terrible ruler, etc.

Archived