What is the meaning of the title 'A Song Of Ice and Fire'?

So here's my idea.

Depending on his parentage Jon may represent the series title. But what does that mean? A song of ice and fire doesn't necessarily mean westeros will be ruled by Jon. Perhaps it is just a story of his existence. If Jon is not Rhaegars son, but still related to the Starks- which he is- then Jon may be the song of ice and not fire. This could mean Danny is the fire and the story is about both Jon and Danny.

Personally it is known that rhaegar liked to sing and play his harp, and I believe the song of ice and fire title represents a song made by a father(Rhaegar) for the birth of his son(Jon). This may go well with those who believe Rhaegars harp is in the crypts of Winterfell.

Regardless of what you believe the song of ice and fire is obviously about the Starks v the targs, or the others v the dragons, or rhollor v the great other lol. Or the summer vs winter.

What do you guys think it means?

I have thought about this extensevely. First, it's a Song, not a Dance. So it will not be a fight between the Ice and the Fire. It's a story of the Ice and the Fire of this world, either the Starks-Targaryen, Others-R'hllor, White Walkers-Dragons, Ice (sword)-Blackfyre (sword). It could be a thing of legend, like how the Ice and Fire dissapear or how the came to balance.

Second, I believe the Ice could be ambiogous towards the winter stuff or even the Starks, but the first chapter is about Wights and the White Walkers. So, we see Ice. And Fire could be the Targaryen, but the real important thing happening right know in the world, the thing is changing everything, are the dragons. And the dragons are "fire made flesh". So it's the story of the Others and the Dragons.

Third, Rhaegar said in Dany's journey through the House of the Undying, that he (his son) is the prince that was promised and that he already have a song: the song of ice and fire. So, the song are the actions of Rhaegar's kid. (Rhaegar named the baby Aegon, so we assume he is talking to Ellia and the baby is either the one the Mountain killed or Young Griff. And we assume, because Rhaegar said: the dragon have three heads, that he was pursuing the birth of Jon as the third head of the dragon.

But, what if Rhaegar isn't talking to Ellia, but Lyanna. After all, the rose at the wall that Dany saw is a reference to Jon. We never know what name Rhaegar or Lyanna will give to their baby. Jon is named Jon after Jon Arryn, and that's Ned's work. What if Rhaegar, oddly enough, was naming his two sons Aegon. (It's not the best theory I know). If the prophecies are always true and they have to be fulfilled, and Dany's illusions through the tHotU are prophecies, then the baby that Rhaegar is holding is the Song of Ice and Fire. If the baby is Aegon, he is either dead or he is truly Young Griff. (I don't think such an important characther will appear halfway the story and didn't even appear in the first draw). So, who is the baby?

Afterall, Aegon the Conqueror is the most important characther in Westeros history (along with Bran the Builder, aka, the Last Hero) and Aegon V "Egg" is the main (or at least close second) characther of the Hedge Knight stories. Why not an Aegon as the main characther of this story? Even though he doesn't know that was his intended name.

Exactly what it says it means. It's r'hllor Vs the great other in a battle for planetos.

Yup, my thoughts as well. r'hllor and others or r'hllor and the actual nights watch :)

Vedo game spoiler -

The Video Game, which Martin was working on, has a fight between a r'hllor priest and a man from the night's watch in the throne room as the last scene, titled A song of Ice and Fire

guys the title of this series is perfect, and many aspects of the books can relate to it.

just saying one thing in the series is what correlates to the title is wrong.

pretty sure u can make a huge essay on this subject that i wouldnt want to touch

I follow this theory that states that the Song of Ice and Fire is actual song, and its been right under our noses the whole time.

Full version: Part I, Part II, Part III

TLDR version:

• Rhaegar wrote "Jenny's song" based on a prophecy from the Ghost of High Heart and played frequently, which made it popular among singers.
  • It doesn't have a name, but its described as soft and sad. The song has been played several times in the story, most notably when Tom of Sevenstreams plays it for the Ghost in front of Arya.
  • The song describes a special bond between mothers and sons. Mothers who are separated from their sons are associated with death/curses.
  • The song is also about dead kings and ghosts, love and doom, twilight and tears. It talks about the past but sounds relevant to the present.
  • Sansa Stark is uniquely qualified to learn and play the song.
  • A verse in the song talks about a winged wolf flying out of a tower, a motif that involves the Starks.
  • Mance Rayder used the song as the inspiration for his plans in Winterfell in Dance.

The whole story started when fire and ice met (R+L) and it will run a full cycle when Dany and Jon Snow finally meet. Ultimately songs are a way for heroes to live on forever so I take it as a clue that the two will do something heroic (defeat the Others) and their stories will be passed on to other generations in this song of ice and fire. I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM goes as far as to write down the lyrics for this song.

So here's my idea.

Depending on his parentage Jon may represent the series title. But what does that mean? A song of ice and fire doesn't necessarily mean westeros will be ruled by Jon. Perhaps it is just a story of his existence. If Jon is not Rhaegars son, but still related to the Starks- which he is- then Jon may be the song of ice and not fire. This could mean Danny is the fire and the story is about both Jon and Danny.

Personally it is known that rhaegar liked to sing and play his harp, and I believe the song of ice and fire title represents a song made by a father(Rhaegar) for the birth of his son(Jon). This may go well with those who believe Rhaegars harp is in the crypts of Winterfell.

Regardless of what you believe the song of ice and fire is obviously about the Starks v the targs, or the others v the dragons, or rhollor v the great other lol. Or the summer vs winter.

What do you guys think it means?

He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire. Jon gets the girl... and Satin on the side.

But, what if Rhaegar isn't talking to Ellia, but Lyanna. After all, the rose at the wall that Dany saw is a reference to Jon.

We never know what name Rhaegar or Lyanna will give to their baby.

I thought the same...

"The song of ice and fire" it's a sort of poetic formula that sounds a lot like "the pact of ice and fire"

where we know for sure Starks and Targaryen were involved.

Rhaegar saying "his is the song of ice and fire" makes me think about someone who has both of fire and ice legacy.

Would it make sense "ice and fire" for a boy born from a Targaryen and a dornish woman,

since they remind of dragon fire and a burining sun? What do you think?

Archived